• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kindle Fire HD

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just cashed in some AMEX points and landed Mrs. Piob and myself his/her 7" Fire HDs. They arrived yesterday and I've only have a few minutes to play around. So far, so good. Nice screen, video streaming works well, and the best speakers I've heard on a tablet device yet. I installed a 3rd party launcher on my first Fire and will mess around and try installing one on this HD soon. Apparently Amazon bragged the HD Kindle would be "unhackable" but it seems this was empty boasting.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
HMMM, I may have to check into this for SF poasting from the new gig.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wi-fi only, T-bone. If you need wireless you're going to have to go something else or get a wireless hotspot for yourself.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Wi-fi only, T-bone. If you need wireless you're going to have to go something else or get a wireless hotspot for yourself.

I was afraid of that. I could turn my phone into a wi-fi hotspot (supposedly). But that's a bit more Rube Goldberg than I really want to indulge in.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had the original Fire and enjoyed it. Only sold it because I ended up buying an iPad 3. If you are heavily tied into Amazon's ecosystem then then these don't make bad tablets at all on a budget.

T-Bone, it's not hard to set up most smartphones at a hotspot. You should be able to do it in a few quick steps.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I feel like Rambo. Have my original Fire, iPad 2 3G, and now this. I like the 7" form factor for ease of holding while reading. Amazon Prime gives the user so many streaming and free books to borrow it is hard to beat. My main use for tablets is streaming video a few times a year at conference. :blush:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
well, a bigger use for me would be CPA prep cards, in addition to the major value proposition: surreptitious poasting. Right now the Prep application is malfunctioning with my version of Android and the phone is apparently stuck with 4.0.3. So even then I don't want to wind up rev-locked with a tablet that's not current.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are at all looking to use the tablet for work or concerned about the app ecosystem, I would stick with iPad. It's the safest bet in these areas, by a mile.

Fire is great for a lightweight, inexpensive, media consumption device.

Aneil4lom

Reaction score
I have the original Fire and i got bored with it although I use it to go on Stumbleupon every now and then.
I use my regular Kindle every single day though, it's super-light and the battery-life is amazing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads