• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(kinda) Poor Man's Brioni?

deaddog

Reaction score
I'm having a tough time finding a Brioni in the size, style, color,condition I want at a sub-1000 price for NWT, with the acceptable price dropping as condition drops. But, I really like the Brioni cut/fit - that built shoulder that some have described as the f*** you silhouette without being too slim cut. Can anybody recommend other brands with similar cuts?

Thanks

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you can find a Dolce Gabbana mainline "luxury cut" (distinguished by a gold chain insidethe collar) suit in a conservative configuration, you might want to consider it. It has a very similar shoulder to the Brioni. Beware though as DG is half canvassed but the fabric is very nice.

horton

Reaction score
Check out eHaberdasher.com (aka Honest*goods on ebay) for great prices on Brioni -- among others.

Ben is excellent. Several SF members (including me) are multiple repeat customers)

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deaddog
But, I really like the Brioni cut/fit - that built shoulder that some have described as the f*** you silhouette without being too slim cut.

As the owner of a couple of Brionis I find this statement to be f****** BS. On the right person they are perfectly elegant. I still think that the fit, fabric and basic build quality to be immeasurably more important than the brand.

I suggest looking at Canali, Isaia but especially Luciano Barbera. Ben from eHaberdasher is excellent.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
I saw several Brionis today at NM, they do indeed look very elegant on the correct person.

But....

Just my opinion, I would think that a Kiton or an Attolini or even a Borrelli would look more elegant on the right person than a Brioni.

When it comes to cuts: Roma VS Napoli.

Napoli wins hands down, for me, In My Opinion.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
I saw several Brionis today at NM, they do indeed look very elegant on the correct person.

But....

Just my opinion, I would think that a Kiton or an Attolini or even a Borrelli would look more elegant on the right person than a Brioni.

When it comes to cuts: Roma VS Napoli.

Napoli wins hands down, for me, In My Opinion.

I find I cannot wear a Kiton or a Borrelli. They look like pyjamas on me especially with the way Kiton like wafer thin high supers nonsense which cannot hold a decent crease. I need a bit of structure and an Attolini does work.

Again fit matters even more. That is why I have gone bespoke as all these who's better than who arguments have begun to strike me as entirely futile.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
As the owner of a couple of Brionis I find this statement to be f****** BS. On the right person they are perfectly elegant. I still think that the fit, fabric and basic build quality to be immeasurably more important than the brand.

I suggest looking at Canali, Isaia but especially Luciano Barbera. Ben from eHaberdasher is excellent.

Maybe it's the sheer elegance that's the Fuk You attitude.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody asks for information on cuts similar to Brioni and people are suggesting neapolitan cuts like Isaia? Wtf? Isaia's cut is nothing like the built-up cut that the OP was asking about. In any case, whenver anyone talks about the Roman cut on the forum, it's usually about Brioni, and I can't remember anyone mentioning anything other than Brioni. Perhaps Zegna might be close, but I think Zegnas are more of a Milanese cut.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brioni's structured AND light jacket hasn't really been replicated by any other make. I'd say D'avenza and Castangia come the closest, but Castangia is softer and D'avenza is more padded.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Brioni's structured AND light jacket hasn't really been replicated by any other make. I'd say D'avenza and Castangia come the closest, but Castangia is softer and D'avenza is more padded.

And, unfortunately, neither of these makers are anywhere near $1000 for a NWT suit (except through Ebay or a discounter).
frown.gif

lockey2k

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Somebody asks for information on cuts similar to Brioni and people are suggesting neapolitan cuts like Isaia? Wtf? Isaia's cut is nothing like the built-up cut that the OP was asking about. In any case, whenver anyone talks about the Roman cut on the forum, it's usually about Brioni, and I can't remember anyone mentioning anything other than Brioni. Perhaps Zegna might be close, but I think Zegnas are more of a Milanese cut.

What type of cut is armani collezioni fashion line?

deaddog

Reaction score
to everybody for responding with special thanks to Odoreater for getting the thread back on track. I did not intend to offend anybody, to accuse anybody of being inelegant, or to start a war between the shoulder/no shoulder camps (and, frankly I don't think any reasonable reading of my original post could possibly trigger those reactions). I also agree with Odoreater that Isaia is great stuff but the antithesis of what I'm looking for. Finally, I also agree that Ben at e-haberdasher is great- but, as I said, I'm looking for sub-$1000 and even his good prices can't get down to that range.

So, thanks for the help and keep those constructive recommendations on Brioni-like silhouettes coming.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I've never seen one, Ravazollo reputedly does a Roman silhouette, and at a slightly lower price point then Brioni, D'Avenza, or Castangia, but still above $1K.

The only options I've found at the price quoted are a Milanese cut a la Canali, Corneliani, etc. (maybe Zegna?), but it's really not the same as a Roman silhouette.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very, very occasionally, you'll find NWT Brioni for less than $1k on eBay. The charcoal grey Brioni I wore today (see the what are you wearing thread at the top of the forum), I picked up on eBay for around $700. That was highly unusual... but clearly it does happen sometimes.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Though I've never seen one, Ravazollo reputedly does a Roman silhouette, and at a slightly lower price point then Brioni, D'Avenza, or Castangia, but still above $1K.

Yeah, do a search for Ravazollo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads