• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kilgore's Sunglasses

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was watching Apocalypse Now Redux the other night and was attracted to the sunglasses worn by Lt. Kilgore played by Robert Duvall. I am in the market for a new pair of shades and was wondering which brands make similar pairs as worn by Kilgore. Here is a link: http://images1.moviemarket.co.uk/lib...249/249263.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That looks like a pair of Ray-ban, although I'm not sure which model. Otherwise, it might be a pair of American Optical, who also makes sunglasses for the military. http://www.uswings.com/sunglasses.asp

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Charlie don't surf!" Those just look like aviators. I have a pair from Zeiss but I'm sure you can find models from every manufacturer.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, those are Randolph/American Optical "Flight Goggle 58".

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well those look exactly like what Kilgore was wearing and they seem to be 1/5 of the price I was actually willing to spend (which is always good). Anybody have any insight on the quality of the brand? I suppose if the US military uses it, they must be pretty good but what about anybody else? Also they seem to come in different sizes anywhere I can try them on in person?

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have personal experience with AO, but I've heard recommendations from elsewhere as well as here. There's a seller on eBay with good prices on them as well. I was thinking about buying a pair, but I've just bought a pair of Ray-ban aviators. Maybe next time.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
That looks like a pair of Ray-ban, although I'm not sure which model. Otherwise, it might be a pair of American Optical, who also makes sunglasses for the military.

http://www.uswings.com/sunglasses.asp

My godfather has a pair of these with 18k gold rim from back when he was in the Ethiopian Air Force. They look mean (i.e. cool).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40