• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kicking Mule 1950s

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdMan
Well I sized down one in the APC to a 35. They are a little loose but definitely not baggy. I guess the typical size down one look. I probably could have sized down two but they probably would have been skin tight, at least in the beginning. I'm a fairly big guy ( 5'11", 205), pretty muscular upper so I don't want my jeans too skinny or I look like a fool.

The KMW is pretty loose on me. I wore them all weekend and they already stretched about an inch in the waist. They fit looser than my APC, but the biggest difference is the knee and leg opening. To get the APC fit I think you may have to get the 1980 and I don't think I would hesitate to size down one. They don't run small.

fing02[1].gif
Thanks, that's helpful.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Edman is correct on his assessment. I wear a 29 in APC NS (sized down one) and they fit nice. Not skin tight but not too loose. So no need to size down on KMWs in my opinion. Like he said, if you want NS fit... go with 1980s. If you want something closer to reg ralf go with 1950s.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
Edman is correct on his assessment. I wear a 29 in APC NS (sized down one) and they fit nice. Not skin tight but not too loose. So no need to size down on KMWs in my opinion. Like he said, if you want NS fit... go with 1980s. If you want something closer to reg ralf go with 1950s.

Not necessarily looking to replicate my NS - no point since I already have them. Was just looking for a point of reference. He mentioned his NS, so I figured since we have those in common they'd serve as the Rosetta stone. But thanks for the info.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
no problem. Just putting it out there... was looking for this kind of info before getting my KMWs and didn't find it. Hope it helps someone.

ron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
still 200+ more than I'd be willing to spend... I don't own AWA, just regular old made in japan indigo version. Quite nice. Have worn them 5 straight days since purchase :
I was also planning to get the regular version. I had read great things about it. But I started reading about the AWA and convinced myself to splurge. At least I have an idea of how they will fit so I think it's a little safer. I actually sized down one size in the 1950 because my waist is between 35-36. My first pair was the 36 rinse and it quickly stretched too big. I could take them off without unbuttoning. I got a second pair 34 raw and it stretched quickly to the right size.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nastyandy
I read some months back in GQ that Denimbar would also be carrying those. . . $480 assuming DB allows the SF discount on them.

Yeah, Denimbar posted the original pics months ago. Don't know if they still have them in stock, I think they were a very limited run. Apparently Context just got the last 25 or so pairs.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
They got a 10% discount for superfuture members, so $540 :p

only $450 if you're a 1st time buyer at Context...

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
only $450 if you're a 1st time buyer at Context...

the 25% doesn't apply to the AWA

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Context ( www.contextclothing.com )and Denim Bar ( www.denimbaronline.com ) have the AWAs. The Denim Bar price is cheaper, but Context has a better size run (since Denim Bar has had theirs for a whille, while Context got their run in recently.) THe regular Styleforum coupons work for AWA purchases.

Both stores are Styleforum affiliates. Mauro has consistently been good to work with, and Sam and Ryan are stand up guys.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping here...

I'm interested in getting these jeans. How would I run the sizing, here?

I took a 32 in my RRDS and a 32 in my 5EP LDB Resin. Each fits perfectly.

Stretching expected if I take the 32?

Dirk Benedict

Reaction score
Hey Blank,

I'm part owner of CONTEXT and I am modeling the 1980 and the 1950 AWA from KMW on our web page. I'm wearing a 29 in the AWA, a 30 in the 1980 and I wear a 30 in the RRDS (for a slim but not too tight fit). I'm 5'9'' 165lbs.

The 1950 is a bit bigger in the thigh than the 1980. The AWA will not stretch like other dry denim, and the dyeing process is such that the indigo will not release from the fabric as much as most dry jeans.

Guys have been buying them true to size in the store. I sized down to get a slightly slimmer fit in the thigh, and I don't mind a tighter waist.

Hope this helps.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Helps plenty -- thanks, "Dirk." I personally mind a tighter waist, so I'll stick with the 32's. And sorry, but I'm in the market for the regular 1950's -- just don't have the cashflow for the AWA's.

Just want to check with everyone else. Ya'll kept your RRDS size?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads