• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khakis, The Most Underrated pants?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Esquire had a little thing on khakis this month, calling them the most underrated pants. The story is below sans illustrations and details on pairs illustrated. I tend to agree that they are underrated. Not sure about most. Their ubiquity, like jeans, can be a problem. What do you think?

Despite it's salt-of-the-earth connotations, America's official trouser has its nuances.

KHAKI RULE #1
Never give your khakis a cuff. Never roll the cuffs up to your calves like clamdiggers unless you are actually digging for clams.

KHAKI RULE #2
Khaki is Hindi for "dust." Pure, natural, unenhanced earth. With that in mind, remember: A crease down the front of a pair of khakis adds 15 years to the age of the wearer.

KHAKI RULE #3
Think of your khakis as a leather briefcase. That first scar will break your heart, but you'll learn that they are at their lived-in best just before they disintegrate.

KHAKI RULE #4
Unless you're on safari, limit the number of khaki items in your outfit to one. Better yet, apply this rule even while on safari.

KHAKI RULE #5
Khakis are the most comfortable pants to sleep in. And sleeping in them makes them more comfortable.

KHAKI RULE #6
Jack Kerouac wore khakis. So did Steve McQueen, who tried to jump over the Swiss border in khakis. He failed. But it wasn't his pants' fault.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love khaki's and for me it comes down to the quality of fabric and the fit. My everyday wearers are the Incotex khaki's that I goit from Lance at VCH. I also have some cotton/cashmere blend khaki's that are wonderful. I like my pants slim and I do cuff them to 2 inches. I wear them with shirts, cardigans, sport jackets and year round so I would say that they are the most versatile pant I own.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Buy 'em.
Trash 'em.
Dump 'em.

Live life!

(I'm a fan, btw!)
smile.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love khakis too and agree with all the rules (except the one about sleeping them). For casual wear, few items are as versatile as a good pair of khakis and I prefer them to jeans on most days (I must be getting older
blush.gif
). As Ed says, having a well-fitting pair will set you a part from the ubiquitous ill-fitting ones.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm torn.

On the one hand, I would never recommend khakis for the average business-casual-clad dude. (I'm really not into making fun of how people dress but if I see one more pair of Polo or BR chinos with black Kenneth Coles and a golf shirt from the most recent corporate conference, I may poke my eyes out with a letteropener.)

Done well, however, khakis are - and I definitely think should be - the backbone of any kinda-dressy casual outfit.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate khaki pants... Khaki-toned blazer, maybe, but pants... Ech.
boxing[1].gif

edit: I think the above post explains why... The damn things are so ubiquitous and ill-fitting on 99.9% of the population. I'd rather sport a dove grey.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
FYI...... Bills Khakis will introduce this season Model 3. We have been after Bill to introduce a lower rise, trimmer fitting khaki for those who don't care for or do not fit into Model 1 or 2. They will be available in pleated and plain front. I'm not aware of the fabric choice yet but I'm sure they will be up on their web site soon.

Gary

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
The damn things are so ubiquitous and ill-fitting on 99.9% of the population.

Sort of like jeans.
peepwall[1].gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote overrated. Khakis are a 'tweener item for me -- if I'm casual, I'd rather wear jeans, and if I'm business casual, I'd rather wear wool slacks.

Windsurf

Reaction score
I prefer chinos. I like the color and the summertime feel they give me. Plus I like the contrast of the chino color with blue and red more than the contrast with khakis. Last saturday it was 68 degrees in Boston and I had to break out a pair of chinos and sport coat even if it violates the no white (off white) in winter.

I do wear khakis when it is raining so it will hide the mud and dirt better than chinos and in early fall when it is still too warm to wear most wools and I want to wear various shades of red/burgundy and green.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Windsurf
I prefer chinos. I like the color and the summertime feel they give me. Plus I like the contrast of the chino color with blue and red more than the contrast with khakis. Last saturday it was 68 degrees in Boston and I had to break out a pair of chinos and sport coat even if it violates the no white (off white) in winter.

I do wear khakis when it is raining so it will hide the mud and dirt better than chinos and in early fall when it is still too warm to wear most wools and I want to wear various shades of red/burgundy and green.

I think the terms "chinos" and "khakis" are generally used interchangeably. Not sure if you're referring to the fabric or the color or what.

To the question, I don't think they are over- or under-rated. I haven't thought about getting a pair in years, actually. "Fashion" people shun them because they are a staple of the badly dressed, while the masses don't rate them at all. The only people who rate them highly are the Trads. Personally, I would probably wear a pair if I could find a pair that fit well. On hot days they would be a better option than dark jeans for kicking around.

The main problem is making sure to wear stuff with them that can't be mistaken for a business casual convention-goer wardrobe.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of them, because I associate them with ill fitting preppy dullness. But if drink can get Bills to make a better styled pair, then they'll join all the other neo-preppy close fitting Am classic stuff and be OK.

CCabot

Reaction score
KHAKI RULE #1
Never give your khakis a cuff.

Blasphemy!

I live in khakis, I have owned two pairs of jeans in my lifetime and I just do not understand the attraction.

itskub

Reaction score
I have yet to find a pair of khakis that are Not relaxed fit, high rise, pleated, 34x30, or other ugly fits..

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its all about the margiela khakis anatomical baby

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads