• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khaki's of Carmel

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A photo of Khaki's owner, Jim Ockert with Jason of Brokeandbespoke Tumblr blog. Jason is wearing either a vicuna or 16 oz cashmere jacket in dark green, made by Martin Greenfield. The jacket has a ticket pocket, fairly classic shape similar to most Canali jackets. The fabric is total luxury. These aren't private label. (i.e. a stock design with the stores name on it) These are designed by Jim, who specs the shoulder and the shape both of which are unique to Khaki's. He also sources the fabric on his own.

I asked him what inspires him to design his own jackets. "I want to offer jackets I can't get anywhere else". He is doing it!

If you stop in be sure to ask for the J Lawerence (JIm's middle name) jackets. You must try these on and enjoy the fabrics and different cuts.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 52L is 30"?!? No wonder I've never been able to wear Boglioli regulars.
fwiw, the jackets are meant to fit short. There are always changes in menswear, and these days, even the conservative jackets from European makers are general cut short. I know of very few companies who adhere to the knuckles rule anymore, with the conservative makers tailoring the jackets to come just to the end of the seat, but no longer than that. The more modern companies usually make jackets that end about 1" before the end of the seat. Of course, these jackets look best either extremely slim, to the point where they are about a hair away from pulling a bit when buttoned up, or quite boxy - worn more like a harrington than a sportsjacket. Thom Browne. has turned out to be a lasting influence in menswear, it seems.

Good or bad? I'd argue, neither. Just a slight shift in the paradigm. The length and volume of suit jackets is constantly changing. In the 90s. I would have considered a 30" length to be pretty normal on a sports jacket. Now, at 5'11", I wear most of my jackets between 28" and 28.5" but I know lots of guys who wear jackets closer to 27.5", which makes for an extremely short skirt. Bumfreezer jackets.

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fwiw, the jackets are meant to fit short.  There are always changes in menswear, and these days, even the conservative jackets from European makers are general cut short.  I know of very few companies who adhere to the knuckles rule anymore, with the conservative makers tailoring the jackets to come just to the end of the seat, but no longer than that.  The more modern companies usually make jackets that end about 1" before the end of the seat.  Of course, these jackets look best either extremely slim, to the point where they are about a hair away from pulling a bit when buttoned up, or quite boxy - worn more like a harrington than a sportsjacket.  Thom Browne. has turned out to be a lasting influence in menswear, it seems.  

Good or bad?  I'd argue, neither.  Just a slight shift in the paradigm.  The length and volume of suit jackets is constantly changing.  In the 90s. I would have considered a 30" length to be pretty normal on a sports jacket.  Now, at 5'11", I wear most of my jackets between 28" and 28.5" but I know lots of guys who wear jackets closer to 27.5", which makes for an extremely short skirt.  Bumfreezer jackets.  

It's not so much about height, but torso length, right?

But 27.5 to 28.5 is definitely quite short! Isn't it supposed to cover the backside?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I drove down to Khakis on Saturday with Bay Area blogger From Squalor to Baller. I will post some new photos of Ring jackets and our visit tomorrow.

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say, when I had visited khakis today, I had a great time! Michael was super helpful with everything. I had spent over an hour downstairs at their sale items. I was blown away by the sale prices. Apparently the prices they had only happen every so many years! NWT selvedge jeans at 30$. Incotex, j Lawrence, ring jacket pants - flannel, donegal, etc; at 30-50$!! There was so much more.

If anyone is in the area, I would highly suggest you take advantage of these unbelievable prices! I'll probably go back tomorrow before leaving Carmel to try and grab some more trousers.

Thanks again khakis for another great experience!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads