1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Khaki's of Carmel - Official Affiliate Thread - Carmel-by-the-Sea, California

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by khakisofcarmel, Sep 8, 2014.

1. khakisofcarmel

khakisofcarmel Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Sure thing! Let's start with our own J. Lawrence label, made in Brooklyn. Just a few things to note: we aim to stock sizes as small as 28 and up to size 44. All of our trousers come unhemmed and as flat front. However, we can special order trousers in a different fit and with pleats if you'd prefer.

[​IMG]

First up, our basic chinos. From left to right: washed stone, washed ghurka, khaki twill ($195) and tan cashmere-cotton ($325). The washed fabrics are a bit more casual in appearance and feel a bit smoother to the touch. The cotton-cashmere has about 6% cashmere to give it softness and the fabric's lighterweight, too.

As far as the details of our trousers, we have piped interior seams, use oxford cloth shirting for the pocket bags and interior trimming, a split curtain waistband with a side-seam pleat to reduce stress on the area for a better fit and a French fly with extended tab closure and YKK zippers.

These all come in a our contemporary fit, however, we can special order them in our slim fit if you'd like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus a nifty charcoal back beltloop (don't worry, you can swap it out for a normal one if you'd like).

[​IMG]

Our worsted wool trousers come in pearl grey, mid grey and dark grey ($325). The hand on these are a bit lighter and you could arguably wear them most months except when it's freezing cold or blisteringly hot. Like all of our trousers, they're flat front and these also come in our contemporary fit.

[​IMG]

For fall, we've got some great flannels in burgundy, charcoal and pearl grey ($325) -- all in the contemporary fit. In our slim fit, we have a chocolate brown cavalry twill wool ($325) that feels fantastic (I picked up a pair of these personally and ordered pairs in navy and grey for myself to wear as odd trousers with sport coats and chunky knits).

[​IMG]

Also for fall in our slim fit, we have two types of donegal materials. On the left we have slate blue and coffee brown donegal cotton flannels ($250). These are a cotton blend that feel like sweatpants and I've had customers remark on their comfort several times. Also in the slim fit, donegal tweed wool trousers ($295). They're a bit scratchy, honestly, but they're half lined to the knee and not really noticable to the point of being uncomfortable. I really love the blue one and picked it up to wear with a brown plaid sport coat that had a hint of blue in the overcheck.

[​IMG]

Finally, we've brought back our slim fit cotton moleskin trousers ($250). The plush and soft texture of these make them a joy to wear. Available in five colors: navy, olive, curry, tan and chocolate.

Of course, we have a broader selection beyond just our J. Lawrence label. I'll gather up some of my favorites for the season from Ring Jacket, Di Maestro, Luciano Barbera and Brioni in another post.

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

That's a nice assortment. And I can vouch for the great customer service at the store, love you guys.

3. justinkapur

justinkapur Distinguished Member

4. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

5. justinkapur

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Any plans for a trunk show (or another store in the future) in LA?

7. khakisofcarmel

We're trying to keep our plans somewhat localized for the time being, but if there's significant interest for a trunk show in LA, we'll be open to planning one.

8. khakisofcarmel

[​IMG]

Here's a closeup of our fall selection of sport coats from Ring Jacket. Some really fantastic fabrics this season. From left to right:

• All-wool "creamy waffle" light tan and ecru
    • Tweed houndstooth from the Moon mill in brown, tan and forest green
    • Grey plaid flannel
    • Tan plaid in an alpaca-wool blend
    • Light grey plaid in an alpaca-wool blend

Of course, if you want to see them in person, come see us at the end of the month in San Francisco at our trunk show with Ring Jacket.

9. Peter1

Peter1 Senior Member

Those RIng coats...superb. That gray plaid flannel is perfect.

I used to live in Pacific Grove during the 1990s. There are some seriously stylish people in Carmel/Carmel Valley/Carmel Highlands/Big Sur. Can't speak about the Pebble Beach crowd, though. They're probably still wearing golf vests as daily attire...

Good to see Khaki's here...When I got a big raise one year I went to Khaki's soon after they opened and bought a brown sportscoat, my first "nice" piece of clothing. Sadly I lost upper body weight when I moved to the East Coast and stopped surfing every day, and the coat had a little bit too much 90s shoulder padding...

10. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior Member

What is the difference in the pants between slim fit and contemporary fit?

11. justinkapur

I believe its 1-1.5" difference in the leg

12. khakisofcarmel

On a size 32" waist, there's not a difference in the waist, but the rise, leg opening and thigh and knee are all slightly slimmer. Compare below:

Rise: 10.5" vs. 10.25"
    Thigh (at crotch seam): 12.75" vs. 12.5"
    Knee (16" down the inseam): 9.5" vs. 8.25"
    Leg opening: 8" vs. 7.75"

It's not so much the leg opening as it is the leg itself, from my experience. It just starts slimmer in the top area and continues through.

13. khakisofcarmel

PG is beautiful. Great coastline to go for a run.

No comment on performance golf wear....

If you're ever back in the area, stop in and check out the new store!

14. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

A photo of Khaki's of Carmel owner Jim Ockert Monday holding one of their Ring Jacket suits. I'm looking forward to the trunk show in SF on Monday and seeing all the fabric options.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

15. khakisofcarmel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Ring Jacket shirts just arrived! We'll have these at our San Francisco trunk show, of course, but if anyone wants to get a jump on them before they make the way to our floor, shoot me an email or call the store.

First up are the e'lento sport shirts. These fit incredibly trim. For refernece, I wear a size "large" and typically wear a 38R. These are both a light cotton flannel with unique sakura flower buttons in mother of pearl and wide spread collars.

And for dress shirts, we have a striped spread collar in the master-seed cotton and a blue gingham check with club collar and contrasting cuffs with a poplin body and royal oxford contrast. These are sized in EU starting with 39 (about a 15.5" neck) and have a very slim fit.