• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khaki Suspenders

gadreherku

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning on buying these khaki color suspenders:
https://shop.mango.com/gb/men/more-...ories/adjustable-elastic-braces_23070564.html

CNaYXEA.jpg

I am going to wear them with chinos. My question is what color of shirt and chinos can these suspenders be combined?
I guess that black chinos and blue or white shirt would be fine, but are my options are so limited?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would you buy a clothing item without any clue how you're going to wear it?
The 'classic' rule is that suspenders should not be seen as they are always worn under a jacket. So this allows you to wear pretty much whatever color/pattern you like.
Sounds like you're planning to wear them without a jacket. To me these look fairly casual in terms of color and texture. You could wear them with brown/tan trousers and a blue/indigo denim shirt, for example. I wouldn't wear them with a white shirt or with black trousers.

gadreherku

Reaction score
why would you buy a clothing item without any clue how you're going to wear it?

In fact i haven’t bought them yet, so that's why i wrote "I'm planning on buying these...". Moreover, as i have no clue how to wear them, i decided to start a topic here to ask. I just saw them at the site, i liked them and since i decided to buy them, i thought to ask in advance how i could combine them.

The 'classic' rule is that suspenders should not be seen as they are always worn under a jacket. So this allows you to wear pretty much whatever color/pattern you like.
Sounds like you're planning to wear them without a jacket.

Regarding the style, yep i am planning to wear them without jacket (i rarely wear suits anyway), so that's why i talked about the color of chinos. (And, right, if they would be worn under a jacket, i wouldn't care how to combine them).
The style i would like to have when wearing them is a bit superior than casual (smart casual, if i say it right) / or geek chic style etc. (not hipster), but not formal, so in such case i generally wear suspenders over a shirt and under a sweater (or sweater vest) on winter, but there are cases where i would just wear a shirt and the suspenders. So the final look would be a chino, shirt and suspenders (and if it's cold, a nice outwear too, which will be removed indoors) and if appropriate a tie/bow tie.

You could wear them with brown/tan trousers and a blue/indigo denim shirt, for example. I wouldn't wear them with a white shirt or with black trousers.

That's a nice suggestion! But i am only limited to brown/tan chinos?
Why would you avoid the white shirt and black chinos combo?
Unfortunately, dark/navy blue and burgundy chinos are not a good idea in my mind to be matched, so the options are really limited.. But damn i like these suspenders :/

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditionally suspenders were considered undergarments and thus had no need to be coordinated with outerwear. This rule still applies even if you break tradition by ditching the jacket; many a Wall Street or City banker takes off his jacket in the heat of battle and exposes his braces to the markets. Just watch Michael Douglas in Wall Street to see how it works, or doesn’t, depending on your taste for that sort of thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads