• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khaki Suits

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it is if you are working for the British Colonial Office in India.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is if you are working for the British Colonial Office in India.
Yes, or traveling anywhere in the tropics.

jbmarine

Reaction score
Or in Hollywood.
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming by Khaki Suits, the OP means any sort of Tan colored suit made of cotton (or even wool)?

Are the other posts sarcastic? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in any warm/mild climate (FLA, SoCal, etc.) you could wear a lightweight khaki wool suit year round.

Why do you ask? What are your circumstances? Are you looking to buy only one suit and want to avoid navy or gray?

heynow

Reaction score
No, I already own grey, blue and black. But im in AZ and you cant wear suits in the summer. But I wanted to maybe purchase a khacki one, but I could only wear it in the fall, winter and some of the spring (up in till about april/may.)

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good khaki colored suit (preferably in a tropical wool)? Brooks Bros. has the right color in this suit, but it's in that crappy popplin material that wrinkles about two seconds after you put it on.

I actually bought this one from STP, but the color was too dark. It was closer to an olive than it was to "Dark Tan", and therefore sent it back.

I'm looking to achieve that perfect Michael Westen look (not that I'll ever be that handsome).

-Justin

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biggskip, it is interesting to see how fashion creates demand for certain shades of khaki over time. Currently the lighter tan color seems to be the most popular. And, that will change. But, I would suggest that you get the color that looks best on you depending upon your hair and skin color. Some guys look washed out and pretty bad in the pale tan/khaki. Fair skinned blonds often look best in a khaki with a slight tint of green/olive.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pocketsquareguy - I'm the type that looks a bit washed out (not enough to stop my from wearing my suit, however) in the lighter shades and look better in the darker "British Khaki" color. Any ideas on where to get a suit in a darker colored khaki?

Denimdestroyedmylife - I wear my khaki suit to work once a week during the summer. If I know that I'm going to be in a meeting with some EVPs, however, I'll shelve it for a later day. I walk to work, so the lighter color/fabric is nice when dealing with the heat. The color also allows you to stand out a bit. As long as you pair it with a plain white dress shirt and a dark conservative tie (I like black or navy grenadine), you won't stand out in a bad way either.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good khaki colored suit (preferably in a tropical wool)? Brooks Bros. has the right color in this suit, but it's in that crappy popplin material that wrinkles about two seconds after you put it on.

I actually bought this one from STP, but the color was too dark. It was closer to an olive than it was to "Dark Tan", and therefore sent it back.

I'm looking to achieve that perfect Michael Westen look (not that I'll ever be that handsome).

-Justin

Here's what you should get. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...e-For-Men.html

And get one for me too. I'm about $1700 short, right now. Beautiful but pricey summer suit. But it is $1000 off retail on STP.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics