• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khaki Suit/Pale Blue shirt for a Summer Evening Texas wedding

YankeeTexan

Reaction score
I am heading back to Texas for a summer evening wedding after living in NYC for 4 years. I want to be the best dressed here, shouldn't be too difficult with most guys will have ill-fitting conservative suits and the "fratty" version of seersucker. I just recently purchased a nice slim fitting Khaki Cotton-Linen suit and have no experience pairing with this color. I have a pale blue shirt that I really like and will probably wear, but thats open to negotiation. I am seeking advice and answers to these question to make this a slam dunk. Also, I have blonde hair and light blue eyes if it makes a difference in color matching.

1.) Tie or no tie? And if a tie what colors would you think look killer with the suit and pale blue shirt? skinny or normal?
2.) Should I go with a generic white pocket square or what colors do you guys think would look great?
3.) Belt?
4.) Shoes, I wear brown lizard skin cowboy boots to just about anything to hold on to a little of my Texas heritage so I'm such a novice when it comes to shoes, I do know black is out of the question.
5.) Everything above is completely changeable, just would also like to know what you guys what done that looked great.

I will upload some pics of the suit and shirt later this week when I get back to the office.
Thanks so much.

-H

Rolex Luthor

Reaction score
Indoor or outdoor wedding? If it's indoors, there's no reason to wear a light-colored cotton suit. You'd look better in something darker with a white shirt & nice tie. But if it's outdoors, by all means carry on with the khaki suit & pale blue shirt, no tie.

As for the boots, all I can say is that I've lived in Texas on & off since 1985, and I have never once worn boots with a suit.

maseace007

Reaction score
I live in Houston and wore a Khaki Linen suit to an outdoor wedding in San Antonio recently. I wore brown anteater boots, a brown alligator belt, a royal blue and white gingham check shirt and a navy blue and white polka dot tie. Thought it looked pretty solid. No pocket square but I think a white linen one would have gone well with it.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation and either pairing the khaki suit with a blue ocbd or burgundy gingham with an appropriate knit tie. I think the cowboy boots would be totally acceptable in Texas. I am probably using a navy braided belt, but that would not work well with the boots. If you do go gingham I would just do a white linen pocket square with a simple fold. That's the nice thing about khaki, it matches a huge range of things.

I would be interested in hearing shoe suggestions with a khaki suit. I was thinking pebble grain long wings, but its not really looking right to me. #8 PTB's? Or perhaps its time to get a pair of Lowndes.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I wore a linen khaki suit last week with a light blue shirt without a tie. pair it with some brown shoes and youre good to go.

JDMills

Reaction score
You could go tie or no tie, personally I would wear one, maybe a blue with a white polka dot with a white pocket square would be great, not too flashy or boring. Definetly brown shoes and the belt should match the suit, I wouldn't wear cowboy boots personally but if that's your thing then go for it, if you don't have a matching lizard belt at least get the colour similar, I would wear a chestnut or chocolat captoe or a double monkstrap (if you have them of course). Make sure your cowboy boots aren't all scuffed and scratched though a good polish and you'll be all set.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YankeeTexan
I want to be the best dressed here
Unless you're the bride, it seems like a silly ambition for a wedding. Probably makes more sense simply to strive to be appropriately dressed. But whatever...

most guys will have ill-fitting conservative suits and the "fratty" version of seersucker.
You do realize, I hope, that if most of the guys there are wearing conservative suits, it's entirely possible that you're not going to be hailed as the best dressed man present unless you're wearing a conservative suit. Yes, it's possible that everyone will think, "Gee, H looks so different from everyone else here. I've never seen such clothes before. His suit is so... so... unconservative. Truly, H is a well dressed man." It's possible. But that's not the way the smart money bets.

Personally, I like conservative suits (albeit, mine fit properly), and I like seeing seersucker in the summertime. But I'm not sure just what defines "frattiness" in seersucker.

1.) Tie or no tie?
Generally speaking (and yes, I recognize that there are exceptions, which is why I went with "generally speaking," as opposed to "without exception"), I think one should wear a necktie with a suit.

As this is a wedding, unless it's an unusually casual one, where even the groomsmen aren't wearing ties, I see no reason to forgo the tie.

What do you think?

And if a tie what colors would you think look killer with the suit and pale blue shirt?
There are a great many color ties which could go perfectly well with a khaki suit and pale blue shirt. As we're coming up on summertime, and I happen to own a few nice ties with pink in them, I'd probably wear one of them. Just because I think khaki (or tan) suit/light blue shirt/pink tie is a handsome combination, well suited to a happy occasion like a wedding (so long as it's not a wedding where a dark suit would, for various reasons, but the only appropriate choice).

If your suit is solid khaki, and your shirt solid blue, you may want to opt for a non-solid tie. Just a thought.

What colors do you think would look killer with the suit and pale blue shirt?

skinny or normal?
I typically prefer normal width ties, but just because that works for me, doesn't mean it's the right choice for you. Which width do you prefer? Why? Does it have anything to do with the shape of your face, the width of your suit's lapels, anything else worth mentioning?

2.) Should I go with a generic white pocket square or what colors do you guys think would look great?
With a solid suit, why not go with a colorful silk pocket square, just to liven it up a bit?

As for colors, it'd be nice if the pocket square picked up one of the colors in your tie. Not necessarily the main color, and you certainly don't want a pocket square that matches the tie exactly (as that's a little too "matchy-matchy," in my opinion).

If you do decide to go with a white pocket square, at least consider a linen or cotton one with a colored border. I have several of these, and find that most of the time, if a plain white pocket square is a good choice, a white pocket square with a narrow navy or burgundy border is a slightly better choice.

Again, what do you think would look great? Why? (If asking for advice, it's helpful to first share your opinions and the reasons for them. It makes it much easier to give advice which coincides with your personal preferences, and not just my own.)

3.) Belt?
Yes, wear a belt.
smile.gif

If you want to hold onto a little of your Texas heritage, wear a brown lizard skin belt, instead of brown lizard skin cowboy boots (see below).

4.) Shoes
I often wear burgundy loafers with tan/khaki suits. But admittedly, I have no Texas heritage. I'm sure many men would be perfectly comfortable wearing brown lizard skin cowboy boots with a suit, but I'm not one of them, and generally if a man's not really comfortable with what he's wearing (be it lizard skin boots, a bow tie, a pink sweater, madras shorts, etc.), he's unlikely to wear it well and look great in it.

5.) Everything above is completely changeable, just would also like to know what you guys what done that looked great.
For what little it may be worth, I own a khaki suit. When I last wore it a couple of weekends ago, it was with a white OCBD with thin pink stripes, and a blue silk knit tie. (Along with burgundy tassel loafers, a pair of pink and blue argyles, and a white cotton pocket square with navy border.) I thought it looked quite good. So if for whatever reason you want a non-blue shirt option, or if you discover you love knit ties, there you have it.

--
Michael

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I wore a linen khaki suit last week with a light blue shirt without a tie. pair it with some brown shoes and youre good to go.

+1

To me, there are 2 approaches to wearing a linen suit: The "margaritaville" approach and the James Bond approach--or, casual vs. sophisticated if you like. For a wedding, I suggest the latter.

Being Texas, maybe you can get away without a tie at a wedding. Generally, though, a tie is appropriate for such an occasion. Stay away from banker's red ties and the like with a linen suit. I used to have a shirt with a subtle blue plaid pattern that I wore to great effect (at least in my mind) with a solid blue tie just a shade darker. Depending on the shade of your shirt, a tie in the blue or green range may work well. Use a normal width tie (4" give or take) instead of a skinny one. And avoid a button-down collar, if possible, as that dresses the suit down.

As for shoes, again being Texas maybe the boots would work. But you'd certainly be dressing down the suit (that's the whole point of wearing boots with a suit, right?--to "keep it real" (or whatever the TX equivalent of keeping it real is)). If you really want to be a dandy, you could do a full Gatsby and don some spectators (tan/brown or cream/brown). Of course, in Texas spectators might get your ass kicked.

Best,
AEP

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
You do realize, I hope, that if most of the guys there are wearing conservative suits, it's entirely possible that you're not going to be hailed as the best dressed man present unless you're wearing a conservative suit. Yes, it's possible that everyone will think, "Gee, H looks so different from everyone else here. I've never seen such clothes before. His suit is so... so... unconservative. Truly, H is a well dressed man." It's possible. But that's not the way the smart money bets.

Hilarious!

FWIW, I think the OP's emphasis was on "ill-fitting" as opposed to "conservative" in his reference to the suits most all the other guys would be wearing. But your general point is well taken.

AEP

YankeeTexan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolex Luthor
Indoor or outdoor wedding? If it's indoors, there's no reason to wear a light-colored cotton suit. You'd look better in something darker with a white shirt & nice tie. But if it's outdoors, by all means carry on with the khaki suit & pale blue shirt, no tie.

It's in a chapel surrounded by huge windows and all natural light, it feels like you're outside. Khaki will be fine. I would go without a tie if it was a little more of a destination, but I feel like going with a tie on this one, just not sure which. I think I'll be on the lookout for a blue/pink mix.

As for the boots, all I can say is that I've lived in Texas on & off since 1985, and I have never once worn boots with a suit.

Boots will be absolutely fine for this wedding, but the deal is I want to branch out and have no idea what kind of shoes I like or will look good with this look. To make matter worse I am out of NYC until the wedding and unless I can find a pair in Dallas that Friday I'll be doing this shopping all online. Any site recommendations? Price isn't a matter at this point.

Originally Posted by JDMills
You could go tie or no tie, personally I would wear one, maybe a blue with a white polka dot with a white pocket square would be great, not too flashy or boring. Definetly brown shoes and the belt should match the suit, I wouldn't wear cowboy boots personally but if that's your thing then go for it, if you don't have a matching lizard belt at least get the colour similar, I would wear a chestnut or chocolat captoe or a double monkstrap (if you have them of course). Make sure your cowboy boots aren't all scuffed and scratched though a good polish and you'll be all set.

I am going to look into your suggestions, for this particular wedding I have no problem with splurging a little, just finished up a very lucky run in Vegas. First time that's ever happened, I always lose there...

Originally Posted by An Ex Parrot
+1

To me, there are 2 approaches to wearing a linen suit: The "margaritaville" approach and the James Bond approach--or, casual vs. sophisticated if you like. For a wedding, I suggest the latter.

Being Texas, maybe you can get away without a tie at a wedding. Generally, though, a tie is appropriate for such an occasion. Stay away from banker's red ties and the like with a linen suit. I used to have a shirt with a subtle blue plaid pattern that I wore to great effect (at least in my mind) with a solid blue tie just a shade darker. Depending on the shade of your shirt, a tie in the blue or green range may work well. Use a normal width tie (4" give or take) instead of a skinny one. And avoid a button-down collar, if possible, as that dresses the suit down.

As for shoes, again being Texas maybe the boots would work. But you'd certainly be dressing down the suit (that's the whole point of wearing boots with a suit, right?--to "keep it real" (or whatever the TX equivalent of keeping it real is)). If you really want to be a dandy, you could do a full Gatsby and don some spectators (tan/brown or cream/brown). Of course, in Texas spectators might get your ass kicked.

Best,
AEP

Yes, I do want to wear a tie to this wedding. I'll also make sure and stick to a normal width tie and the shirt I'm planning on wearing doesn't have a button down collar. I'm going to be doing lots of online shopping for these ties and pocket squares as there is no even remotely decent stores around me, shoes as well. If I can't find anything I am going to have to go with the boots. Any places on the web you recommend? Not worried about price right now.

Originally Posted by An Ex Parrot
Hilarious!

FWIW, I think the OP's emphasis was on "ill-fitting" as opposed to "conservative" in his reference to the suits most all the other guys would be wearing. But your general point is well taken.

AEP

Exactly

YankeeTexan

Reaction score
Unless you're the bride, it seems like a silly ambition for a wedding. Probably makes more sense simply to strive to be appropriately dressed. But whatever...

I guess I should have been more specific, I was counting it as a given that I was only talking about the males. And the bride is always the most stunning!

"Conservative" suit was the wrong word to use on this board. When a few of us mention conservative we mean the guys who dress just like their southern dads did years ago, everything doesn't fit well and they all look like giant boxes, with no personal flair at all. I know most of these guys well and they will like the change and be interested in changing up their style as well.

Personally, I like conservative suits (albeit, mine fit properly), and I like seeing seersucker in the summertime. But I'm not sure just what defines "frattiness" in seersucker.

And by frat seersucker I meant they didn't go out and find a nice seersucker to wear, they found a cheap one that doesn't fit just so they could wear a seersucker.

Generally speaking (and yes, I recognize that there are exceptions, which is why I went with "generally speaking," as opposed to "without exception"), I think one should wear a necktie with a suit.

As this is a wedding, unless it's an unusually casual one, where even the groomsmen aren't wearing ties, I see no reason to forgo the tie.

There are a great many color ties which could go perfectly well with a khaki suit and pale blue shirt. As we're coming up on summertime, and I happen to own a few nice ties with pink in them, I'd probably wear one of them. Just because I think khaki (or tan) suit/light blue shirt/pink tie is a handsome combination, well suited to a happy occasion like a wedding (so long as it's not a wedding where a dark suit would, for various reasons, but the only appropriate choice).

If your suit is solid khaki, and your shirt solid blue, you may want to opt for a non-solid tie. Just a thought.

Thank you for the color/tie options. I feel like this is a wedding where I really need to wear a tie and I'm going to. I'm going to get online today and start searching around. Also, I do prefer a non solid tie for this type of event so I'll be keeping that in mind as well.

I typically prefer normal width ties, but just because that works for me, doesn't mean it's the right choice for you. Which width do you prefer? Why? Does it have anything to do with the shape of your face, the width of your suit's lapels, anything else worth mentioning?

Yes, I'm going to go ahead with a normal width tie.

With a solid suit, why not go with a colorful silk pocket square, just to liven it up a bit?

As for colors, it'd be nice if the pocket square picked up one of the colors in your tie. Not necessarily the main color, and you certainly don't want a pocket square that matches the tie exactly (as that's a little too "matchy-matchy," in my opinion).

If you do decide to go with a white pocket square, at least consider a linen or cotton one with a colored border. I have several of these, and find that most of the time, if a plain white pocket square is a good choice, a white pocket square with a narrow navy or burgundy border is a slightly better choice.

Again, what do you think would look great? Why? (If asking for advice, it's helpful to first share your opinions and the reasons for them. It makes it much easier to give advice which coincides with your personal preferences, and not just my own.)

Thanks for this, I've never added a pocket square on to a suit before and I think it could really take the suit to the next level. I do wear lots of blues/pinks/whites/purples so the idea of a blue shirt with a good blue/pink tie is very enticing. I also think the added blue pocket square would be very neat. I'm thinking that going with a white square with this color combination wouldn't be the best way to go for me. The trick for me now is to actually find these things being stuck in a small town. Like I mentioned before I'll be here until one day before the wedding in Dallas then finally back to NYC. Any idea on some good online places?I already checked out Duncan Quinn for ties and nothing jumped out at me.

If you want to hold onto a little of your Texas heritage, wear a brown lizard skin belt, instead of brown lizard skin cowboy boots (see below).

I often wear burgundy loafers with tan/khaki suits. But admittedly, I have no Texas heritage. I'm sure many men would be perfectly comfortable wearing brown lizard skin cowboy boots with a suit, but I'm not one of them, and generally if a man's not really comfortable with what he's wearing (be it lizard skin boots, a bow tie, a pink sweater, madras shorts, etc.), he's unlikely to wear it well and look great in it.

For what little it may be worth, I own a khaki suit. When I last wore it a couple of weekends ago, it was with a white OCBD with thin pink stripes, and a blue silk knit tie. (Along with burgundy tassel loafers, a pair of pink and blue argyles, and a white cotton pocket square with navy border.) I thought it looked quite good. So if for whatever reason you want a non-blue shirt option, or if you discover you love knit ties, there you have it.

My last option will be to go ahead with the lizard boots and matching belt. I do think it's time I branched out a bit and got some nice loafers or something to that effect. But for this time-crunch logistics is going to be an issue again. My personal style tends to lean more towards casual than impeccable, and I always like to have a little unique flair on most things such as an interesting color or pattern. Some really unique and different loafers would really do the trick.

Thanks for all of the help guys! It's been a huge help and I'm going to consider all of these options. Blue shirt with an interesting blue/pink tie with a blue pocket square sounds perfect and if I can find some neat unique loafers I will go with them as well. Any help for the procurement of said items would be great
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads