• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khaki suit for a formal

jmc473

Reaction score
I just recently bought a khaki suit, which is a first for my wardrobe. I plan to wear it to a spring formal at the end of the week, but am unsure of how to put together a good look. I have the following shirts: white, light blue, blue/white striped. My question is which tie/ps combo that will look best. She will be wearing a red dress, which I don't want to match, but rather her red should compliment my outfit.

So what shall it be? I'm open to all suggestions and pictures.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Khaki to a formal? Khaki is a casual suit.
Hence...Khaki does not = formal....

Last edited:

Mr Knightly

Reaction score
Formal when used as a noun is not the same thing in practice as a real formal dress code. I wear black tie about 4-5x/year, but when I went to my last "formal" as a student, I wore a khaki suit, white shirt, and no tie. Maybe half the guys there were in business suits and ties, but lots of people were in blazers, and lots were not wearing ties.

Key to khaki suits: no tie (it's a bit casual after all) or a very dark, plain tie. Lots of people think you need to go with pastels or super bright colors because it's a summer suit. That's a total misconception. A navy knit tie is perfect with a khaki suit.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of a blue gingham shirt with a khaki suit.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Khaki is not the colour for a formal event.

williamson

Reaction score

... and lots were not wearing ties.
Key to khaki suits: no tie (it's a bit casual after all) or a very dark, plain tie. Lots of people think you need to go with pastels or super bright colors because it's a summer suit. That's a total misconception. A navy knit tie is perfect with a khaki suit.

Please, EVERYONE, don't recommend wearing no tie with a suit. How many times do you have to be told that such a look is sloppy and unfinished?

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
Are you going to a fraternity/sorority formal? If so, I wore the J.Crew Ludlow Italian Chino Khaki suit to my and my dates formals. I agree with wearing a dark solid tie (such as a navy blue knit) but you might also want to consider wearing a bowtie. If you do wear one, you can get away with a little more "excitement" in it and perhaps even get one with some red to match her dress. I'd suggest wearing a white shirt and doing a plain white PS with a fun bowtie, or keeping the white shirt wearing a dark solid tie and wear a "fun" PS.

hyt123

Reaction score
Please, EVERYONE, don't recommend wearing no tie with a suit. How many times do you have to be told that such a look is sloppy and unfinished?

With a dark suit I'd normally agree but with a casual khaki suit in a casual setting, as long as the fit is spot on, not too many shirt buttons are undone and no undershirt/excessive yeti hair is showing, it's fine.

Tropicalist

Reaction score
Choice 1- Go for the light blue shirt as long as the shade of blue is lighter than the khaki. The tie can be a plain Navy granadine. A linen pocket square will round off the look
Choice 2- wear the white shirt. Pari with a pale blue and while repp stripe tie
Choice 3- light pink shirt and royal blue tie
Khaki is a great colour and goes well with everything. The only key is to keep the whole look light

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Either the light blue or white shirt will work. Pair it with a tie with some red in it, not a "red power tie" but something with a spring or lighter feel.

As someone stated previously, a bow tie would be an excellent look with this.

Stirling

Reaction score
Either the light blue or white shirt will work. Pair it with a tie with some red in it, not a "red power tie" but something with a spring or lighter feel.
As someone stated previously, a bow tie would be an excellent look with this.
Yep

williamson

Reaction score

With a dark suit I'd normally agree but with a casual khaki suit in a casual setting, as long as the fit is spot on, not too many shirt buttons are undone and no undershirt/excessive yeti hair is showing, it's fine.

I'm sorry, I don't agree at all - but then I strongly dislike open-necked shirts with sports jackets or blazers as well, and won't ever wear such combinations. I think that if one doesn't want to wear a tie, one shouldn't wear a jacket.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a jacket you don't have to wear a tie. If you wear a tie then you should wear a jacket. I think that is close to some SF approved mantra.

williamson

Reaction score

With a jacket you don't have to wear a tie. If you wear a tie then you should wear a jacket. I think that is close to some SF approved mantra.

I am arguing for the reverse. Long-sleeved shirt with tie, worn with belted flat-front trousers are, in my opinion, a stylish summer look. As I've said above re suit without tie, jacket without tie looks sloppy and unfinished. Suit without tie adds incongruity - suit = formal, open-necked shirt = casual - mixed modes.

I accept the possibility that this is a British-American cultural difference, so the SF mantra may be an American preference. Be that as it may, it certainly needs re-thinking and not simply being taken for granted.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think that if you have a tie on without a jacket then you look like you work at best buy. Adding a jacket to a dress shirt increases the formality, but you don't need to add a tie if you are just going out for a social occasion. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I think that it looks nice when done right.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads