• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

khaki/chino quality by manufacturer

droy

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
133
Reaction score
1
Hi Everyone,

I recentely took a job with a company that primarily has a business casual policy, and even client meeting would take place in business casual. Regardless, I'd like to still look somewhat stylish and buy reasonably good quality. Are Brunello, Brunelli, Kiton, Isaia, Loro Piana better (i.e. better quality, longer lasting, better tailored,etc) than say Incotex or other such manufacturers? If so, is there one manufacturer that really shines ahead of the rest. I know it may sound trivial, but I rarily buy clothes in general, and tend to keep them for a while, therefore I don't mind spending a few pennies more up front to look better and keep them longer. Please feel free to rank them if you happen to know.

I may end up Bespoking them if the cost is appropriate, but somehow I just don't think tailoring chinos is a wise decision.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, and if you happen to know a good online source for any of these please feel free to let me know.

Cheers,

Doug
 

lastlight

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2010
Messages
182
Reaction score
1
I'd say certain brands are better, but if you rarely buy clothes just pick a few decent items.

For chino's you'd honestly be fine with some BB or even dockers slim fit tailored.



Honestly tailored dockers would look nicer than most high end brands that don;t fit you well anyways. If you aren't too picky BB milano fit chinos go on sale for 20 ish dollars often, and wether or not SF quality, you'll still look better than 95% of the popuulation.
 

cmacey

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
207
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by lastlight
I'd say certain brands are better, but if you rarely buy clothes just pick a few decent items.

For chino's you'd honestly be fine with some BB or even dockers slim fit tailored.



Honestly tailored dockers would look nicer than most high end brands that don;t fit you well anyways. If you aren't too picky BB milano fit chinos go on sale for 20 ish dollars often, and wether or not SF quality, you'll still look better than 95% of the popuulation.


I find Bill's are a great option. I have a few pair of BB's but think Bill's are the better option.
 

droy

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
133
Reaction score
1
Thanks for the imput. Both brands aren't available locally, so I'll keep looking.

Cheers,

Doug
 

cmacey

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
207
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by droy
Thanks for the imput. Both brands aren't available locally, so I'll keep looking.

Cheers,

Doug


Wasn't part of your stated criteria.
 

Macallan

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
841
Reaction score
37
Cannot go wrong with Ralph Lauren chinos - durable, affordable and readily available.
From what you are saying, you should consider - cotton trousers (or even wool/cotton mix), shirt, sweater and medium/dark brown shoes.


High-end brand chinos are a waste of money and unless you are a designer-whore, save your money. They are not more durable then the standard brands and may even more fragile.
 

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2009
Messages
2,691
Reaction score
138
Originally Posted by droy
Hi Everyone,

I recentely took a job with a company that primarily has a business casual policy, and even client meeting would take place in business casual. Regardless, I'd like to still look somewhat stylish and buy reasonably good quality. Are Brunello, Brunelli, Kiton, Isaia, Loro Piana better (i.e. better quality, longer lasting, better tailored,etc) than say Incotex or other such manufacturers? If so, is there one manufacturer that really shines ahead of the rest. I know it may sound trivial, but I rarily buy clothes in general, and tend to keep them for a while, therefore I don't mind spending a few pennies more up front to look better and keep them longer. Please feel free to rank them if you happen to know.

I may end up Bespoking them if the cost is appropriate, but somehow I just don't think tailoring chinos is a wise decision.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, and if you happen to know a good online source for any of these please feel free to let me know.

Cheers,

Doug


anywhere where chinos are considered acceptable dress, flannel trousers will also be acceptable. they will just look like a lot nicer version of whatever everyone else is wearing
 

sellahi22

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
675
Reaction score
17
Originally Posted by Macallan
Cannot go wrong with Ralph Lauren chinos - durable, affordable and readily available.
From what you are saying, you should consider - cotton trousers (or even wool/cotton mix), shirt, sweater and medium/dark brown shoes.


High-end brand chinos are a waste of money and unless you are a designer-whore, save your money. They are not more durable then the standard brands and may even more fragile.


Strongly disagree. My incotex heavy cotton chinos are the most well-constructed and durable chinos I own. The fit is far superior to RL as well.

OP: I wouldn't put Incotex in a separate category to the other labels you mentioned. In my experience, they along with Borrelli are the best-of-the-best for construction, fabric, and fit.
 

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
4,645
Reaction score
34
Originally Posted by Macallan
Cannot go wrong with Ralph Lauren chinos - durable, affordable and readily available.
From what you are saying, you should consider - cotton trousers (or even wool/cotton mix), shirt, sweater and medium/dark brown shoes.


Are RL that much better than dockers? How do they both compare with Gap or Lands End? I'm also looking for flat-front chinos for my business casual work environment.
 

B Hamilton

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
302
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by mkarim
Are RL that much better than dockers? How do they both compare with Gap or Lands End? I'm also looking for flat-front chinos for my business casual work environment.

Don't remember the last time I've put on Dockers, but I own a few pairs of RL chinos and and haven't been blown away. Nice enough but you can do better for the money IMO.
 

junkyard_sal

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2010
Messages
104
Reaction score
0
Bill's khakis. You can't go wrong and if you don't stain or tear them you can hand them down to your kids. They are that tough.
 

cbird

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Filson's are very comfortable and durable, but not available in as many colors since Ralph bought the company (I am referring to the shelter cloth pants). Schnee's has decent khakis. I have a pair of Loro Piana khakis and they are obviously very finely made and with superior materials to the above, but they require dry cleaning; my other LP items have been quite durable, but I haven't used these enough to offer an opinion on how long they should last. The LP pants are definitely dressier.
 

droy

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
133
Reaction score
1
Great comments. I really do appreciate it. I'll definitely be looking at Bill's, Incotex and some of the others mentioned here. The comment regarding dry cleaning is well appreciated also. I spend 50% of my time on the road, and occasionally need to do a hotel wash on the longer trips. Dry cleaning would work a portion of the time but not always...so I might need a mix of options overall.

Cheers.
 

droy

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
133
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by sellahi22
Strongly disagree. My incotex heavy cotton chinos are the most well-constructed and durable chinos I own. The fit is far superior to RL as well.

OP: I wouldn't put Incotex in a separate category to the other labels you mentioned. In my experience, they along with Borrelli are the best-of-the-best for construction, fabric, and fit.


Cheers mate. That's what I needed to know. Is there a line of Incotex chinos in particular. I'm not sure if they have multiple lines in chinos, I just assumed given they do in their wool lines.

Regards.
 

droy

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
133
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by cbird
Filson's are very comfortable and durable, but not available in as many colors since Ralph bought the company (I am referring to the shelter cloth pants). Schnee's has decent khakis. I have a pair of Loro Piana khakis and they are obviously very finely made and with superior materials to the above, but they require dry cleaning; my other LP items have been quite durable, but I haven't used these enough to offer an opinion on how long they should last. The LP pants are definitely dressier.

Of the ones on eBay, I noticed that LP had what appeared to be some nice detailing. Hopefully, fit will also be good.

Thanks for the help.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 15 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 141 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 69 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 35 8.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 23 5.4%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 14 3.3%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 8 1.9%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 3.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 26 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,484
Messages
9,199,455
Members
193,209
Latest member
smartlu

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top