1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Keys destroying pants...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eric, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Eric

Eric Senior member

I always carry my keys in my right pant pocket, I couldn't imagine putting them anywhere else, where else is there?

I have a problem with getting a spot in my pants regardless of material where my keys seems to dirty up the outside of my pants somehow.

I can't imagine I'm alone with this problem, have any of you had/have this problem and does anyone have a solution?

Danke Shoen.

Eric

2. Phil

Phil Senior member

yes, dont put your keys in your pocket. I never put them in there for that reason. I carry them, in my hand. If I am with my wife, I have her through them in her purse. If not, I just find a place to store them, if I will be somewhere for a bit.

3. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Leather key cases take care of the problem. The zip pouch type wears better, in my opinion, than the snap and link type.

Will

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

zip pouch.

tons of companies make them, I swear buy them

5. joseanes

joseanes Senior member

Simplify your life and carry less keys. One or two keys don't destoy pants. 20 keys do.
    Have two keychains. One with only the car key, and another one with the house key.
    Or better yet: eliminate house key (put an electronic combination lock in the house). Or if you want to reduce the keys to one: make all keylocks in the house use the same key. (Home depot will change the cylinder of a keylock for about $5).

6. j

j Senior member Admin

I'm waiting for someone to come out with a universal version of those retractable keys like the Mercedes has. One for the car, one for the house, that could retract into a smooth thin package.

7. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Very good advice from a security perspective also.

8. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I only carry keys in my jean pants, never in my trousers.

9. Kai

Kai Senior member

A leather key case takes care of this problem.

I have a shell cordovan case I purchased from Alden of Carmel.

Many others available.

10. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

I split my keys into groups (home/work/car) and carry only the keyring(s) I need and preferably use the small lower pocket on my jacket for that.

B

11. fopkid

fopkid Well-Known Member

i put my keys in my pocket to go to work and to return home. throughout the day (and depending on how long the day goes, the night), they sit on my desk in their usual place. this may do nothing to prevent destruction of my suit pant pockets, but at least it makes me feel like i'm trying.

12. Horace

Horace Senior member

Good point about carrying fewer keys.

Or if appropriate leave key with doorman.

Or as prev. poster mentioned, carry in briefcase.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I hook them to my belt-loop. I know its a little too straight forward for many of you but I think it looks good, and many of my friends agree.

14. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior member

Brian,

What is the beltloop attached to? Jeans? A pair of trousers from a suit?

I can imagine the keys working as an accessory with jeans, especially if there's a funky keychain. On suit trousers though it might look a bit odd.

15. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

carrying less keys is definitely important, but I suggest you check out a pair of Oxxford trousers-- they have a LARGE hidden pocket in the waist, in addition to an inner pocket made especially for keys in the right hand trouser pocket, to prevent just the problem you've identified.

16. j

j Senior member Admin

That's what I was thinking, a piece of heavier cloth sewn into one of the pockets as an inner key pocket would certainly help this. It could easily be done to any pair of pants with enough room in the pocket.

17. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I purchased a two-piece detachable key-ring unit. I keep my car keys on one ring (right pocket) and house/office keys on the other (left pocket). I also purchased a small leather fob that partially shields my pants pockets from the all-metal house/office keys (the car keys have the big plastic jobbies and the power lock). Yes, it's a lot of keys, but I have to carry them all, and this seems to help. Also in the winter, I can attach the two key rings and keep them all in a coat pocket.

18. ken

ken Senior member

That's a pretty damn good idea, actually, to have all your keys in a cylinder; press a button and the key you need just pops out. Even cheaper (and possibly home-makeable) would be some sort of swiss-army knife. Instead of knives and tools, they'd all be keys. I just might get on fabricating that. I'll post pictures if it turns out.

19. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

I agree. Less keys and a leather key case to keep them from tearing up your pocket. The leather case also keeps the other keys from hitting (and scratching) the dashboard of your car when the ignition key is in use.

The old status symbol of lots of keys must = lots of responsibility is out. You only need a car key, house key and maybe an office key.

Andy

20. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I agree, but the people who key the locks around here don't. I have two office keys (I asked them to key both locks the same, but they said they couldn't), one house key, and two car keys with the big plastic caps. (What's up with those anyway?)