• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kettlebells?

BankerBoi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I just went up from a 20 kilo to a 55 pound, my body is in shock. it will take me a while to get used to this.

Blame the metric system.

Actually I can swing a 24kg, release and catch, but struggle to carry it.

gwolf

Reaction score
any good videos to this stuff? i get the swing. the other 2 moves which i think are called snatch and press i have difficulty executing though i don't think i'm doing it right.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gwolf
any good videos to this stuff? i get the swing. the other 2 moves which i think are called snatch and press i have difficulty executing though i don't think i'm doing it right.

Do you already have Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell?

gwolf

Reaction score
no but was thinking more of a youtube clip that would teach me how to do it. i liked the stuff you linked a few pages back. i think the movements i'm having trouble with is the clean and the lockout according to steve cotters lingo... basically anything that involves flipping the bell.

how many would you say i try first 50 swings a day? i've got a 12kg and a 16kg. i don't lift weights nor cardio much but i play soccer once in awhile still i'm not in the best shape.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Work into snatches by moving the kettlebell higher every swing. In fact, that's how I used to start my high-rep snatches all the time - even when I had worked up to a 100.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kettlebell swings are part of my met-con training. I also use them for shrugs.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gwolf
no but was thinking more of a youtube clip that would teach me how to do it. i liked the stuff you linked a few pages back. i think the movements i'm having trouble with is the clean and the lockout according to steve cotters lingo... basically anything that involves flipping the bell.
Cotter and Pavel both teach the clean the same way, starting from the rack position.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
how many would you say i try first 50 swings a day? i've got a 12kg and a 16kg. i don't lift weights nor cardio much but i play soccer once in awhile still i'm not in the best shape.
In the absence of any specific goals, you can aim for the RKC program minimum:
  • Twice a week alternate sets of swings with easy jogging for recovery for 12 minutes
  • Do your swings to a comfortable stop. Once you are well conditioned you may go all-out occasionally
  • "Shake out" the lactic acid and tension from your muscles when jogging. Relax! The purpose of jogging is active recovery, not more conditioning.
  • Twice a week, do turkish get-up singles, switching arms after each rep, for 5 minutes.
  • Focus on perfect technique, not on reps. Don't count you get-up reps, and don't try to top them!
  • Arrange the weekly plan any way you want, e.g., Mon., Thurs.-Swings; Tues., Fri.-get-ups or Mon., Thurs.-get-ups; Tues., Sat.-swings. If you want to add an extra swing or get-up day, go ahead-make your day.
  • Start each workout with 10 minutes of face-the-wall squats, halos, and pumps.
  • Unless you are an experienced strength athlete, do no other lifting.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
did 100 one hand snatch and presses today with the 55 pounder for the first time in a single go. very happy. very very happy.

newguy

Reaction score
Does anybody know where a guy can get good kettlebells around Toronto? Can't find one online that's legit and ships to Canada.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that I started this thread over nine years ago, and it was active for almost three years.

Last year I became a convert to kettlebells. I started with a 12k but realized at once that it was too light for anything but one-handed work and almost immediately acquired a 16k (the "chimp" from Onnit). A year ago, I would find myself wishing intensely for my workout with the 16k kettlebell would be over, so arduous did I find it. Within a month I graduated to a 20k bell. It also lasted about a month until I moved on to a 24k (the "bulldog" from Ironskull Fitness). This challenged me for three months until my wife gave me a 28k for Christmas. Just lately I have segued to a 34k (a "grizzly" made by Zoobells and also marketed by Kettlebell Kings). This last is really challenging. I am using it for Russian-style swings, goblet squats, stiff legged deadlifts and high pull-up and one handed rows. I am sticking with the 28k for cleans and presses (two handed) since the 34 is still a bit too much for me at the moment for this movement. I do three cycles of each of the five exercises. If this sounds a little slack, please bear in mind I'm now 75 years old. I am exercising with a slegehammer (pounding a tire) and doing various flexibility and core exercises on alternate days when I don't use the kettlebells.

shorts17

Reaction score
The problem with weights is that you keep buying and buying and spend money and money. You think u can get similar results with bodyweight?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with weights is that you keep buying and buying and spend money and money. You think u can get similar results with bodyweight?

I believe it is much harder to get good results with bodyweight because, with many of the best self-resistance exercises, e.g., pull ups, if you can't do it once to begin with, how are you going to make any progress? With free weights, once you have made your initial investment, you've got them forever. A goodly percentage of my weights are those I bought over 50 years ago. Kettlebells are more expensive initially, although given my season of life, I very much doubt I shall need anything heavier than my 75 pounder. Also, you don't need ancillary gear like squat racks or benches.

shorts17

Reaction score
has anyone tried the new Primal kettlebell series from ONNIT? apparently are supposed to be the best balanced kettlebells in the market and they have this gorilla shape that makes them very cool

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, to begin with, they are not particularly new. I bought the 1-pood Chimpanzee bell from them about 18 months ago. I don't see how they can be any better balanced than normal spherical kettlebells, and there are those who claim that they are not as well balanced. I have never noticed a difference. A minor drawback is that when you are doing snatches, you have to position the face portion so that you don't bang your forearm with it at the end of the movement, but this is no great burden. I considered getting Onnit's 2-pood (72.22-pound) gorilla bell but instead settled on the 75-pound "bear" from Zoobells and also marketed by Kettlebell Kings just because I liked the looks of the bear better than the gorilla and because it was a little heavier. At my season of life, I don't think I am going to need anything heavier. My stepson is now stronger than I, and I suggested that I could get him Onnit's 2.5-pood (90.3 pounds) Bigfoot kettlebell, but he thought it looked too ferocious for his taste. I like "face" kettlebells. They just make my workout a little more fun.

Of late, I have taken to carrying the Onnit chimp with me on "farmer's walks." It's kind of fun to scare dogs with the leering face of the chimpanzee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads