Kettlebells?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by JLibourel, Apr 18, 2008.

1. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

62 lbers got here today!! Gray Muscledriver V2 Series. Heavy bitches. I wish I had a camera to take pictures with.

I hear kettlebell naming is popular on dragondoor forums, not sure what I should name these two.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

62 lbers got here today!! Gray Muscledriver V2 Series. Heavy bitches. I wish I had a camera to take pictures with.

I hear kettlebell naming is popular on dragondoor forums, not sure what I should name these two.

cool, what's that, 28 kilo?

3. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

cool, what's that, 28 kilo?

Yup yup. I was considering moving up to 32 kgs but I also wanted to get into double KB drills while moving up in weight at the same time, so I think a pair of 28s is a good compromise.

4. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

One of my favorite* conditioning workouts is 5 rounds of:

1 Minute of KB Swings (Max Reps)
    1 Minute of KB Presses (Max Reps)
    1 Minute of Heavy Bag work or Full Contact sparring (if using bag count max number of full power strikes)

I keep the weights on the KBs down since it's supposed to be more of a conditioning exercise. Swings at 1.5 pood max and presses at 1 pood.

*By favorite I mean it makes me want to die.

That's by far the best thing about kettlebells - as long as you have maybe a lighter one and a heavier one, the possibilities are endless.

I've done so many different workouts combining KB + bodyweight stuff, it it's always fun. Circuits are definitely cool. I mean sometimes I'll just do like 300+ swings or snatches when I need a quick fix, sometimes I'll do circuits of lets say swings/presses/rows/pushups, or snatches and something or whatever. Possibilities are endless.

I haven't been to the gym for like a year, and I am in my best shape ever...

5. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

the following circuit x5 done with 2x28kg kettlebells: 10x double swing 5x push press, each hand. Didn't have enough stability to do it with double bells. 5x full body attack These will keep me busy for a LONG time.

6. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

just had the best KB workout...

7. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Today's circuit, getting more of a feel for the bulldog puppies.

5 rounds of:

5 full body attack
    5 double push press (got the hang of it)
    10x renegade row
    5x double swing

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Glad to see this.
    I've been kettlebell training for about 2 months now. Before starting to train I read two Kettlebell books and watched a DVD to see if it was for me. I use to go to the gym 5 days a week but after 2 years of that I just got tired of doing the same compound lifts over and over again so I quit, to simply put it. I wanted a "challenge" and something that would make me feel unique so I picked up kettlbells.
    I really like it, its crazy to think how many muscle groups the kettlebell swing works out and you feel it after the next day. My training has been simple and its what Pavel recommends to start out with three days of doing 12 minute swings then 2 days of kettlebell getups.

Drawback was my kettlebell price, I paid two dollars a pound for my 30 pound from play it again sports and from what it looks like I got jipped.
    I'm also having problems locking my arm into my shoulder

9. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Kettlebell swings IME make for one of the best cardio exercises there is. It loads your whole body, works the stabilizers great, and really gets your heart pumping. I'd say work on sticking the getup from the start, my mistake starting out with kettlebells was not mastering the getup from the get-go.

it's not going for a "lock" into your shoulder as much as keeping your shoulder muscles active so that your shoulder moves only along one stable plane.

if you want to get serious about kettlebelling, muscledriver has a serious sale going on right now on their gray bells. I got mine for a really nice price.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yeah, getup is a bit shaky for me. I've got a good book that breaks it down step by step and the video has helped.

Paval talks about while swinging you want to keep your shoulders in their sockets. A few exercises was hanging from a bar and socketing your shoulders to see what it feels like, or lay on a flow and have your buddy pull on your arm then socket it and have them try to pull it.

Whats the discount? I've got a 30lb right now and thats it, its a bit heavy for getups but I've been managing.

11. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

you're going to graduate from the 30lber quite quickly if you have any athletic experience at all. I'd suggest getting a 53 lber to swing. muscledriver has them for 63.99 + 24.00 shipping but they're backordered, a few pages back grayland linked to a site where he got his for cheaper. a 53 sounds heavy right now but IME your swinging kettlebell should be a class or two higher than what you use for pressing, it's the best way to lock your swing mechanics down. I had a 53 lb kettlestack which I'm going to upgrade to an 80 lber over the summer exclusively for swinging. I try to double swing the 62s but that always ends up catapulting me forward after a few reps...

edit: on the lock that pavel is talking about, it's more about keeping your shoulders active so they're not floating out of the socket on every rep. I just don't like to think of it as a "lock" per se but more like active stabilization. I guess that "lock" has that brevity to it but I found it misleading when I was starting out.

12. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Damn, I think I need a second 53 so I can do doubles..

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

My gym has gotten in a whole set of these. Anybody have some reference material on exercises and correct form? The searches I pulled up yielded some a bunch of Crossfit stuff but nothing much for beginners.

14. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

there are plenty of videos on youtube you can check out that teach good form and help correct the sticking points. In addition, I'd recommend the texts by Pavel Tsatsouline.

The first exercises you should learn are the kettlebell swing and the kettlebell military press. Those form the foundation of practically all the drills.

15. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

there are plenty of videos on youtube you can check out that teach good form and help correct the sticking points. In addition, I'd recommend the texts by Pavel Tsatsouline.

The first exercises you should learn are the kettlebell swing and the kettlebell military press. Those form the foundation of practically all the drills.

and the snatch!!!

but seriously, KB is serious business, you gotta do it the right way if you don't wanna fuck yourself up - I definitely recommend pavels stuff for proper form and safety.