• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kerry's cuff

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You gotta give it to him, that John Kerry is a fancy man/fashionista. Probably Teresa's influence. Or maybe he is being supported by Etro and Dolce & Gabbana? From the look of the shirt, maybe Richard James? Is there an Anglo/Italian conspiracy trying to covertly take over the country? Will be suddenly be flooded with Italian food, tailored clothing, and women (good) and by Italian streetclothing, men, and the most undynamic *futbol* in the world (bad)?

JohnMS

Reaction score
So it would appear he wears Gucci suits? Doesn't Gucci have 5 buttons on the sleeves?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could be Corneliani as well, or maybe a custom tailor who likes buttons also. Â For future clarity (yeah, right, as if we'll care about this at all eight weeks for now) I'll crosslink to the other thread in which the Kerry cuffs are under discussion today......

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Paul Smith suits also have five buttons. Isn't JK a fan of T&A shirts? Don't they offer three button cuffs on some of their shirts?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a Turnbull & Asser shirt. No doubt about it.

Five buttons on the suit sleeve is...questionable.

His tailor isn't that great, though--the jacket is moving off his shoulders/neck as he moves his arm.

Montecristo

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a Turnbull & Asser shirt. No doubt about it.

Five buttons on the suit sleeve is...questionable.

His tailor isn't that great, though--the jacket is moving off his shoulders/neck as he moves his arm.

Montecristo
I was going to say that the shirt was definitely T&A. I rather like the 3-button cuff that they use.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months back, Time or Newsweek ran a profile on Kerry that included an anecdote about a bunch of Senators heading off for a retreat. Another Senator was ribbing Kerry about his sport coat and corduroy trousers, so Kerry complained "Biden's wearing the same thing, why pick on me." The response: "yeah, but yours cost a lot more."

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months back, Time or Newsweek ran a profile on Kerry that included an anecdote about a bunch of Senators heading off for a retreat.  Another Senator was ribbing Kerry about his sport coat and corduroy trousers, so Kerry complained "Biden's wearing the same thing, why pick on me."  The response:  "yeah, but yours cost a lot more."
Ugghhh... Politicians almost pride themselves on looking like ****. It's a shame considering the power and influence some of them yield. If you're going to act the part, at least look the part.

Just remembered... GQ was ribbing Kerry a while back for wearing tailored jeans, lol.

armscye

Reaction score
Obviously you guys need to learn the art of nuance...

bestmastertailor

Reaction score
It just shows what a "limosine liberal" Kerry is and the integrity that he lacks. As the canidate that is "pro-union" and "outsourcing opponent", according to our trade paper DNR, Southwick's website, and Kerry's press releases, Kerry wears Southwick, a Union Made in the USA (his homestate of Mass.) garment. Anyone familiar with Southwick can easily tell that that is not a Southwick garment, but looks very similiar to a D&G or Paul Smith garment (which the last time I have seen one, it wasn't Union Made in the USA).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just shows what a "limosine liberal" Kerry is and the integrity that he lacks. As the canidate that is "pro-union" and "outsourcing opponent", according to our trade paper DNR, Southwick's website, and Kerry's press releases, Kerry wears Southwick, a Union Made in the USA (his homestate of Mass.) garment. Anyone familiar with Southwick can easily tell that that is not a Southwick garment, but looks very similiar to a D&G or Paul Smith garment (which the last time I have seen one, it wasn't Union Made in the USA).
Ignoring the political rant - Southwick does MTM. Isn't it possible that Kerry just prefers some rather exotic flourishes? BTW, even if he were not wearing Southwick in that particular photograph does not make him necessarily a hypocrite. Being pro-union and anti-sourcing would infer that he supports union labor in local companies. It does not necessarily infer that he supports a protectionist stance on free trade, nor that he is against luxury imports from the European Union. He can wear Kiton with a clear conscience. He might even be supporting local business (Louis Boston, I imagine.) Now, if he wore cheap, Made in Sri Lanka suits from The Men's Wearhouse - then you might have a point. LA Guy, who knows that this is not going to get him any deals on a really sweet custom suit, but wanted to show how clever he was any way. P.S. My industry mag of choice (when I was in California and more involved, was Apparel News)

bestmastertailor

Reaction score
LA Guy:
No deals here regardless of your political views.....LOL

I know Southwick does MTM as they are my CTM house of my Leighton Collection of traditional clothing. I spoke to them about this and they deny that that is their jacket. I didn't mean to put my political views out there, but I expect my President to wear ONLY USA made clothing. Not T&A shirts, Kiton suits or the like. In my state (West Virginia), which is heavily unionized, Bush is carrying the union rank & file vote because they see through Kerry's hypocrisy.
Enough political crap now, let's talk about more important issues such as fine tailored clothing.
Well as my father always said "DNR" stands for "Do Not Read".....LMAO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads