1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kerry's cuff

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoreman1782, Sep 8, 2004.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You gotta give it to him, that John Kerry is a fancy man/fashionista. Probably Teresa's influence. Or maybe he is being supported by Etro and Dolce & Gabbana? From the look of the shirt, maybe Richard James? Is there an Anglo/Italian conspiracy trying to covertly take over the country? Will be suddenly be flooded with Italian food, tailored clothing, and women (good) and by Italian streetclothing, men, and the most undynamic *futbol* in the world (bad)?

3. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

So it would appear he wears Gucci suits? Doesn't Gucci have 5 buttons on the sleeves?

4. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

He seems to like buttons.

5. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

could be Corneliani as well, or maybe a custom tailor who likes buttons also. Â For future clarity (yeah, right, as if we'll care about this at all eight weeks for now) I'll crosslink to the other thread in which the Kerry cuffs are under discussion today......

6. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

Paul Smith suits also have five buttons. Isn't JK a fan of T&A shirts? Don't they offer three button cuffs on some of their shirts?

7. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Woops, should've been reading diversely...

8. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

That's a Turnbull & Asser shirt. No doubt about it.

Five buttons on the suit sleeve is...questionable.

His tailor isn't that great, though--the jacket is moving off his shoulders/neck as he moves his arm.

Montecristo

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

I was going to say that the shirt was definitely T&A. I rather like the 3-button cuff that they use.

10. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

A few months back, Time or Newsweek ran a profile on Kerry that included an anecdote about a bunch of Senators heading off for a retreat. Another Senator was ribbing Kerry about his sport coat and corduroy trousers, so Kerry complained "Biden's wearing the same thing, why pick on me." The response: "yeah, but yours cost a lot more."

11. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Ugghhh... Politicians almost pride themselves on looking like shit. It's a shame considering the power and influence some of them yield. If you're going to act the part, at least look the part.

Just remembered... GQ was ribbing Kerry a while back for wearing tailored jeans, lol.

12. armscye

armscye Senior member

Obviously you guys need to learn the art of nuance...

13. bestmastertailor

bestmastertailor Well-Known Member

It just shows what a "limosine liberal" Kerry is and the integrity that he lacks. As the canidate that is "pro-union" and "outsourcing opponent", according to our trade paper DNR, Southwick's website, and Kerry's press releases, Kerry wears Southwick, a Union Made in the USA (his homestate of Mass.) garment. Anyone familiar with Southwick can easily tell that that is not a Southwick garment, but looks very similiar to a D&G or Paul Smith garment (which the last time I have seen one, it wasn't Union Made in the USA).

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ignoring the political rant - Southwick does MTM. Isn't it possible that Kerry just prefers some rather exotic flourishes? BTW, even if he were not wearing Southwick in that particular photograph does not make him necessarily a hypocrite. Being pro-union and anti-sourcing would infer that he supports union labor in local companies. It does not necessarily infer that he supports a protectionist stance on free trade, nor that he is against luxury imports from the European Union. He can wear Kiton with a clear conscience. He might even be supporting local business (Louis Boston, I imagine.) Now, if he wore cheap, Made in Sri Lanka suits from The Men's Wearhouse - then you might have a point. LA Guy, who knows that this is not going to get him any deals on a really sweet custom suit, but wanted to show how clever he was any way. P.S. My industry mag of choice (when I was in California and more involved, was Apparel News)

15. bestmastertailor

LA Guy:
    No deals here regardless of your political views.....LOL

I know Southwick does MTM as they are my CTM house of my Leighton Collection of traditional clothing. I spoke to them about this and they deny that that is their jacket. I didn't mean to put my political views out there, but I expect my President to wear ONLY USA made clothing. Not T&A shirts, Kiton suits or the like. In my state (West Virginia), which is heavily unionized, Bush is carrying the union rank & file vote because they see through Kerry's hypocrisy.
    Enough political crap now, let's talk about more important issues such as fine tailored clothing.
    Well as my father always said "DNR" stands for "Do Not Read".....LMAO

16. Alias

Alias Senior member

Man, it must suck being President then.

17. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

So does that mean you would change your vote if the candidate with whom you agreed on the issues dressed in Kiton and T&A? Or would you just be disappointed with your candidate?

18. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Why? By wearing non-USA-made clothing, he shows the power of free and open markets, that we have the freedom to choose what we want from around the world to increase our quality of life. Limiting ourselves to only American made goods puts an artificial constraint on the quality of our lives (seen the cheap plastic knobs and poor ergonomics of American union-made automobile dashboards lately?).

If the American made product is truly the best -- like a Boeing 777 airplane is or the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet program is -- and/or yields the best value-to-price ratio, then and only then does it make sense to buy Made in the USA. To buy anything less in a free and open market like the USA is purely a personal choice based on emotion rather than reason.

19. bestmastertailor

Wearing USA made clothing is not a requirement for my vote, but I expect that a candidate who gives lip-service to the unions for money and votes, should at very least support them. Furthermore, I am not totally against free and open markets, as I have been involved in the clothing business for nearly 30 years, it is one of the first industries that embraced world-wide sourcing of products. I have also witness the complete destruction of good paying apparel manufacturing jobs (union and non-union) as the result of "free trade". Most European makers compete on a nearly level playing field (labor costs, insurance costs, enviromental costs, OSHA, etc.) as the U.S. and as one of Italian Heritage, I prejudicely feel that Italian textiles are superior. It is the countries that have have no enviromental regulation, do not pay fair wages, have terrible working enviroments etc. that concern me. I believe that countries that dump goods on the US that do not have the same or similiar regulation as US businesses should pay a tariff that is equal to what their costs would be if they were located in the US. Competition is great, but only if it is fair competion.

20. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

Which is it? Earlier you said absolutely "I expect my President to wear ONLY USA made clothing."[​IMG] There will never be "fair" competition so don't hold your breath as the world passes on by. The USA is so far more advanced than many other countries in so many ways (technology, income per capita, productivity, etc.) that all those other countries will likely never agree with you on what is "fair" to begin with. In reality, it's an undefinable and meaningless term. America simply doesn't have a comparative advantage in labor-intensive industries like textile manufacturing because its labor costs are too high compared to other countries who have billions of low-skilled people clamoring for work (India, China, etc.); as such, except for niche segments of the market in which the USA has an advantage, it's probably not an industry in which America should be competing anymore. Kind of like television sets and other consumer electronics.