• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kentucky Gentlemen's Ties

Reaction score
Does anyone here know how to tie one? I'm looking for a way to throw color into an outfit without going so formal as a standard or bow tie; and while watching an episode of Firefly I noticed Nathan Fillion's ribbon tie:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfhv90vPBu1qg01g7o1_500.png
While scouring the internet for information on this style i discovered that this tie is known as a Kentucky Gentleman. Now finding a ribbon for this is easy enough, but i have no idea how to go about the process of putting one of these on. Any and all help will be readily appreciated, thank you.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you a 'Kentucky Gentleman'? If not, maybe you should avoid wearing this type of tie...

Calder

Reaction score

It looks like a short/narrow (almost bowtie-like) length of fabric tied like this

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You're close. It's actually tied exactly like a bowtie, except with long, trailing ends that hang down.

I'm hopeful that it will become very popular on StyFo.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
This is all I think about when I hear "Kentucky Gentleman." And it gives me PTSD.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is all I think about when I hear "Kentucky Gentleman." And it gives me PTSD.

Wait, people actually drink that stuff? Other than hardcore alcoholics?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depends on your definition, I suppose.

Chemical addiction, gone to the point where you're drinking a fifth or more a day. Simply liking to drink does not qualify you as an alcoholic.

And even in college, I wasn't drinking anything that cheap.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Point taken. Then I am in the clear. College was a simple, yet complicated time. There was a phase in which I was drinking Old Crow on the rocks. What is it they say about learning from your mistakes?

In any event, drinking rot gut was less a point of pride and more about availability vs. price.

BTW, capt, when did you move from NC?

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Point taken. Then I am in the clear. College was a simple, yet complicated time. There was a phase in which I was drinking Old Crow on the rocks. What is it they say about learning from your mistakes?
In any event, drinking rot gut was less a point of pride and more about availability vs. price.
BTW, capt, when did you move from NC?

Few months ago. I'm trying to break into the local industry.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Few months ago. I'm trying to break into the local industry.

:slayer: Best of luck, bud. Big fan of DC, though my ex lives there so I fear I might not be back for some time. Hope you enjoy.

EDIT: I'll know you've made it when you change your username to senjeff.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you earned your username BB.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Sounds like you earned your username BB.

4 years in the trenches to earn my stripes. My fight to continue my legacy... continues...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads