• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kentucky and Tennesee

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you consider them part of the South? Outside of Memphis the people Tenn and Ky never struck me as particularly southern. I tend to group them into the Appalachian category, along with W.Va and some parts of NC. For my money the people in Philly seem as Southern as them.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
KY and TN consider themselves parts of the south, especially the western parts. Eastern KY starts to become more Appalachia, but west and south KY/TN are ALL southern, even to the extent of bringing up (after a few drinks) what "they" did to "us" at dinner parties. "They," of course, refers to the Union, and "us" as in the Confederate States.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I think it is rather silly that Kentucky is considered part of the South, although one has to take into consideration attitudes and actions rather than just location. Then again, Ohio is considered the midwest, and is pretty damn far east IMO.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I think it is rather silly that Kentucky is considered part of the South, although one has to take into consideration attitudes and actions rather than just location. Then again, Ohio is considered the midwest, and is pretty damn far east IMO.

I remember being in elementary school and wondered why the West included so many states, I thought it highly unfair at the time. lol

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aren't Kentucky and Tennessee part of the same state?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
KY and TN consider themselves parts of the south, especially the western parts. Eastern KY starts to become more Appalachia, but west and south KY/TN are ALL southern, even to the extent of bringing up (after a few drinks) what "they" did to "us" at dinner parties. "They," of course, refers to the Union, and "us" as in the Confederate States.
I have never been to either state, so I'm basing what I said on people I met in school largely. They seemed a good deal less southern than the people from Mississippi and South Carolina. But I suppose one would considered them the Deep South.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They seem like composite states...sort of Appalachian, sort of Southern. But TN culture is probably more Southern.

Ohio is definitely culturally Midwestern.

Humperdink

Reaction score
At least in Eastern Tennessee (Tri-cities area and immediate surroundings - somewhat in Knoxville) there's a popular emphasis on the region's distinct Appalachian cultural heritage and its historic dissention toward Southern secession in what had been a predominately non-slave holding, economically depressed, geographically isolated, and socially stigmatized area.

Of course, the cuisine, high rates of obesity, twangy accents, and abundance of Baptist churches are very stereotypically Southern. Overall, Eastern Tennesseeans seem to consider themselves as unique Southerners moreso than Northerners or East Coasters or Atlanticists or what have you.

Frodo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Humperdink
At least in Eastern Tennessee (Tri-cities area and immediate surroundings - somewhat in Knoxville) there's a popular emphasis on the region's distinct Appalachian cultural heritage and its historic dissention toward Southern secession in what had been a predominately non-slave holding, economically depressed, geographically isolated, and socially stigmatized area.

Of course, the cuisine, high rates of obesity, twangy accents, and abundance of Baptist churches are very stereotypically Southern. Overall, Eastern Tennesseeans seem to consider themselves as unique Southerners moreso than Northerners or East Coasters or Atlanticists or what have you.

^^ True dis. As a resident of said region, East TN is very much Appalachian, not "cotton south" like we refer to Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, etc.

However, during The War, East TN actually tried hard to secede from TN and stay loyal to the Union. Having no cotton or slaves to speak of, they had few sentiments in common with the Confederacy. My forebears were all in various Union cavalry regiments.

Growing up, we always looked at the southern landed nobility (antebellum houses with columns, expensive horses, old money, the family silver) with confusion and envy. We were supposed to feel sympathy for that part of the stereotype, but it was very alien. Many are far more Snuffy Smith than they'd like to admit, even the ones that drive BMW's to jobs in tall glass buildings.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The bizarre lower half of Missouri needs to be included with Kentucky and Tennessee in the "not quite south, not quite north."

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in middle TN and have always considered the state to be part of the South. Not sure about Kentucky; just looking at a map, it's kind of hard to argue that KY is a southern state.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Do you consider them apart of the South? Outside of Memphis the people Tenn and Ky never struck me as particularly southern. I tend to group them into the Appalachian category, along with W.Va and some part of NC. For my money the people in Philly seem as Southern as them.
Humperdink and Frodo have stated pretty well KY and TN's relation to the deep south. I'm from Mississippi, and most people there consider the two states to be southern, especially TN, although they certainly don't consider either state to be part of the deep south (except for maybe Memphis). But why do you think Appalachia and the south are mutually exclusive? I've always thought of the first as a subcategory of the second.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always considered Tennessee Southern, and I didn't think there was any question about it. Kentucky, on the other hand, is more complicated. If we're talking states that formally seceded and joined the CSA, Kentucky doesn't make the cut, but there are some strong Southern influences. To me it's Southern enough that I wouldn't begrudge someone from Kentucky calling themselves a "Southerner," but I think people from some regions of the state would shun the notion that they're Southern.

That said, neither Tennessee or Kentucky would even remotely qualify as the "Deep South."

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm from St. Louis, MO and always considered both of those states to be southern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads