• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kent Wang womenswear, soliciting input

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm considering launching a womenswear line. I had this dress made up for my girlfriend as a prototype. The fabric is 100% cotton with a small dot print. This is a year-round, everyday style -- not too fancy, not too casual. Fit would be slim, as you would find in higher-end brands. Construction and fabric would both be superior to mall brands. Retail would be $65-125. Is this something you would buy for your wife or lady friend? I appreciate your honest feedback.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes ... and more importantly that looks like something the missus would buy/wear!

Maybe a little less volume in the bottom, though?

Edit: I asked her and she liked it, but said the straps need work. :/

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. Although, to me it seems that women are more concerned with the current trend/fashion than longevity and quality of the garment. While men value $600 shoes that last for a lifetime, women prefer many cheap shoes that last for one season.

But the main point is that the dress looks nice and I could see myself buying one for my gf as a present.

Neb

Reaction score
I could totally see the g/f wearing that. It's a simple pattern that seems to work well for casual wear.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No ... but perhaps I'm too old an audience.

My issue is mostly with the fall of the skirt.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Very interesting to see how this works out - the gf needs clothes that are made better than $#(& Zara.

Would not buy this as she (well, I) hate halter necks, but I'm sure you'll come up with more good things. Don't know what your intended aesthetic is, but some pieces by BoO's 'boy' line might be worth looking at, esp. if you can offer similar quality at a much better price point.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, women need to try on clothing far more so than men do. As such, selling items such as dresses via the interwebs might be a risky proposition.

wetnose

Reaction score
I think for the most part, women as a group are a lot more discerning than men. There's a LOT of competition out there so overall.....I think women's wear could be significantly more risky than your existing line, Kent.

Perhaps if you targeted certain niches (e.g. real petite sizes) you could do well.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Maybe a little less volume in the bottom, though? Edit: I asked her and she liked it, but said the straps need work. :/
Yes, I think I'll make it with a less billowy skirt. What exactly about the straps?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW Kent, I just asked Ms Notreknip and she said "nope, not for me". I'm a bit impartial myself.

(Oh, and my bi-color tie arrived today - looks even cooler than expected, thanks.)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd use a silk shantung or something instead of cotton. In any case, I think that the length needs to be a little shorter or a little longer, and you probably want to make the hem a little more flattering. I'd recommend an asymmetrical hem, but whatever. The placement of the waist and the length of the skirt, however, make her look bottom heavy, and is not flattering to her bust. You need to bring the waist up significantly, and decide to either go with a mini or a maxi-skirt.

I would really warn you against womenswear, unless you have a very focussed, very marketeable, concept. It's killer, much more difficult that men's.

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'd use a silk shantung or something instead of cotton. In any case, I think that the length needs to be a little shorter or a little longer, and you probably want to make the hem a little more flattering. I'd recommend an asymmetrical hem, but whatever. The placement of the waist and the length of the skirt, however, make her look bottom heavy, and is not flattering to her bust. You need to bring the waist up significantly, and decide to either go with a mini or a maxi-skirt.

I would really warn you against womenswear, unless you have a very focussed, very marketeable, concept. It's killer, much more difficult that men's.

+ 1 (with the exception of the asymmetrical hem). I work as professional womenswear designer and I'd say that while it was a nice gesture I think the clothes need to be more directional if you're going to consider a womenswear line. Right now the dress doesn't seem particularly anything. I'm not saying this as an insult, but there are so many clothing options out there for women that if this representative of the direction you'd like to go in I'd say not to continue. Please note that when I say directional I don't necessarily mean "edgy" or "forward".

Regarding this particular garment, the bust/bodice seam needs to come up. The dress looks like it should have an empire waist based on the design, but the seam falls well below (for a size 6 it should be roughly 13" or so from HPS). The hem; I've always thought "midi" lengths were awkward. It cuts the legs/calves at a weird midway point thereby shortening them. It needs to be above the knee/knee length or maxi/to the ankles. Also the style and fabric choice definitely read as spring/summer.

LanceW

Reaction score
I couldn't think of a tactful way to say it but I think our fearless leader nailed it. It needs to make her bottom half look smaller and her top half look bigger
smile.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your keen insight. I'll take all those suggestions into consideration when working up the next prototype.

My idea for the womens line is to simply complement my menswear line of classics/basics. I realize that women's tastes are different from men's but I'm aiming for the niche that would be interested in classics at an affordable price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads