• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More shawl collar goodness.
65FB54E6-9A44-47E3-8681-A52637E16EDE.jpeg
4A19CA8A-CE72-4B36-ABF3-9D6141D13936.jpeg
A940BD54-FD1D-4DDF-A478-1203A33C4EC7.jpeg

Synthetic

Reaction score
I visited KW in NYC yesterday to have measurements taken for a suit. That went mostly well except for the web form crashed - I'm hopeful all the notes were captured correctly. The one thing holding me back from completing my order is the lack of seconding fitting. I've had MTM suits made several times over the years, and they have always needed adjustments during second fitting. Can any customers comment on how good the fit of their first MTM suit from KW was, and how it compared to other MTM suppliers?

I did the fitting by ordering the trial suit and sending pictures. The trial suit fit pretty well, so no drastic changes were necessary, and I had a good idea of what adjustments I wanted before getting feedback from Aaron at Kent Wang. The results were very good, the fit in the body was better than my other MTM jacket, which I got from a well-regarded brick and mortar store. The only problem was that the sleeves were way too long, for some reason. Fortunately, I had ordered non-working buttonholes for my first suit, so it was easy to fix. I actually made no changes to the body measurements for my second suit.

I think the trial suits help them dial in the measurements pretty well for the first order. So I'd say that if the trial suit fits your body reasonably well, and you get the non-working buttonholes for your first order, your results will probably be pretty good.

gavrarabba

Reaction score
I visited KW in NYC yesterday to have measurements taken for a suit. That went mostly well except for the web form crashed - I'm hopeful all the notes were captured correctly. The one thing holding me back from completing my order is the lack of seconding fitting. I've had MTM suits made several times over the years, and they have always needed adjustments during second fitting. Can any customers comment on how good the fit of their first MTM suit from KW was, and how it compared to other MTM suppliers?
I kind of agree on the one fitting thing but that seems to be pretty common from MTM. Obviously bespoke makers have many fittings. I got my first jacket back from KW and it was well to small in hips/waist. I was offered a credit towards alterations which wont quite cover the cost. I think there were multiple other items where the pattern needs correcting (too short, sleeves too short). But once I correct the mid-section everything else should be OK and I learned a lot towards making future jackets better.
My main takeaway is you need to be measured professionally by someone else and then learn from experience. All over SF you have guys thrilled with their purchases because the fabric is great, but they just don't fit well.

Johnsson

Reaction score
I think the trial suits help them dial in the measurements pretty well for the first order. So I'd say that if the trial suit fits your body reasonably well, and you get the non-working buttonholes for your first order, your results will probably be pretty good.
This is safe advice, especially about the trial suit, but if you measure the sleeve lengths of your existing jackets, you should wind up with reasonably proper length. Certainly within range to have cuffs with working buttonholes altered the cheap way, anyway.

All over SF you have guys thrilled with their purchases because the fabric is great, but they just don't fit well.
There's a lot of that! (less so in this thread)

I find that the worst cases are usually people jumping to straight to MTM, without first knowing much about fit or having the experience to know how it should feel and function. Commissioning something custom without knowing exactly what one wants is a recipe for disaster.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
The shawl cardigans have been a big hit for us, beyond our expectations.

I’m looking at the shawl Cardigan sizings, and wondering if I’m a M or L. I have a 38 inch chest and 32 inch waist. I use Suitsupply jackets in 38R. Am I a medium or large? I’m particularly worried about the sleeve length because 23 inches in the M seems awfully short if I wear blazers with around 24.8 inches sleeve length (that show a bit of shirt cuff). But at the same time I wear European Zara sweaters in M. What do you guys think?

Jesse@KentWang

Reaction score
I’m looking at the shawl Cardigan sizings, and wondering if I’m a M or L. I have a 38 inch chest and 32 inch waist. I use Suitsupply jackets in 38R. Am I a medium or large? I’m particularly worried about the sleeve length because 23 inches in the M seems awfully short if I wear blazers with around 24.8 inches sleeve length (that show a bit of shirt cuff). But at the same time I wear European Zara sweaters in M. What do you guys think?

I'm a 40 chest and need 35.5" shirt sleeves and the Large is a good fit for me. The measurements really reflect small because the knit is tight from the factory. It immediately gives in whatever direction needed because of the construction. I personally just pull the sleeves a bit for a little extra length. Sort of forms to you with each wear.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I'm a 40 chest and need 35.5" shirt sleeves and the Large is a good fit for me. The measurements really reflect small because the knit is tight from the factory. It immediately gives in whatever direction needed because of the construction. I personally just pull the sleeves a bit for a little extra length. Sort of forms to you with each wear.
Would you say Large fits slim/trim like a sweater on you, or more like the loose fit on the dude in the product page (picture below)? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads