• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
@Jesse@KentWang I am 5' 7" and wear a size 40s jacket. What size shawl cardigan should I order? Large or XL?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Jesse@KentWang I am 5' 7" and wear a size 40s jacket. What size shawl cardigan should I order? Large or XL?
You sound like you're in between sizes, so L if want it slim and XL if you want it more relaxed.

@Jesse@KentWang you're already sold out of XL in the green! Cmon man. What can I do to get a restock?
We're looking at a Oct 31 restock.

KW sizing is absolutely marsupialed and a good example of not knowing your market. I have a 44 inch chest and barely fit KW XXL shirts. L should fit me just fine. Perhaps KW sizing would make sense if their customer base was primarily Asian, but it's not. 41/42 should be a M or L, not XL. It's like the opposite of vanity sizing. And it's actually kind of hilarious.
If we were to redo the sizing, how would we do it without confusing our existing customer base? How can we satisfy both new customers and our existing customer that has been, e.g. buying polos in XL for years.

Alternatives could be to make new items in something like suit sizing so 38, 40, 42, or a numerical system like 1, 2, 3, etc. All of these options have flaws, so we've just been going with the current sizing.

I'm no MBB consultant, but I have worked on projects related to operational efficiency and customer engagement. And there are definitely 4-5 low hanging fruit ways that I can think of off the top of my head that KW (the company) could invest in itself through relatively low-cost, low-tech projects that would create create efficiencies, improve revenue streams, and solidify their place in the market that has an increasing amount of competition. I've already thrown out one idea for free a couple of weeks ago, but the company just doesn't seem interested in making any changes for the sake of stability or improvement (see: the MTM suit options form fiasco)
We're working on a lot of these improvements but of course have limited resources especially in terms of staff. It's also not possible to just hire new staff and throw them at these problems as it takes time to train and integrate them. We actually do have a MBA consultant and have developed a lot of plans but of course the hurdle is actually carrying out those plans.

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Thanks Kent. Went with XL because I wanted the cream and the L was sold out.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're working on a lot of these improvements but of course have limited resources especially in terms of staff. It's also not possible to just hire new staff and throw them at these problems as it takes time to train and integrate them. We actually do have a MBA consultant and have developed a lot of plans but of course the hurdle is actually carrying out those plans.

Do you have a target go-live for these updates or an anticipated time frame for expanding the scope of RTW sizes? I'm at a point where I would love to purchase more items, but can't...

Last edited:

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For the shawl cardigan, we can start taking pre-orders once we've confirmed supplies with the knitters, so expect more information on this around Sept 25, including the ability to take pre-orders on XXL.

We won't be doing XXL on any other sweaters this year.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We're currently working that out. Info will be available by Sept 25.

syje

Reaction score
So maybe someone can help me check the math - my best fitting thick shawl collar cardigan is a size L from suitsupply - would L work here as well?

Jesse@KentWang

Reaction score
So maybe someone can help me check the math - my best fitting thick shawl collar cardigan is a size L from suitsupply - would L work here as well?

Did you literally check the math and measure that Suit Supply and compare against our size chart?

What is your chest size and how do you prefer your fit?

syje

Reaction score
Sorry I can't find the old product page for ss and I don't have physical access to mine right now. My chest size fits a typical modern 42R and the SS cardigan in L is a perfectly snug fit. Which I prefer. It's not Michael Scott-y though, just comfortably well fitted. Compared to a recently purchased jcrew shawl cardigan also in L that is grandpa-y and loose (the poor fit is why I've finally given up on jcrew).

I just wasn't following the discussion about sizing here. So folks are saying a L would fit snugly?

Jesse@KentWang

Reaction score
Sorry I can't find the old product page for ss and I don't have physical access to mine right now. My chest size fits a typical modern 42R and the SS cardigan in L is a perfectly snug fit. Which I prefer. It's not Michael Scott-y though, just comfortably well fitted. Compared to a recently purchased jcrew shawl cardigan also in L that is grandpa-y and loose (the poor fit is why I've finally given up on jcrew).

I just wasn't following the discussion about sizing here. So folks are saying a L would fit snugly?

I’m a 40 and wear the L for a snug yet comfortable fit. You’ll likely want to size up to the XL.

I pulled out my sample version for a quick pic of the L fit on me. Buttons changed for the final production so ignore that. But it should give you a better idea of the overall shape.

Attachments

• C157F9BB-572D-4162-9495-E7C735E72131.jpeg
    C157F9BB-572D-4162-9495-E7C735E72131.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 472

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
Love the width and volume of that shawl collar. Really makes or breaks the look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads