• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dukeaw

Reaction score
Will the new tariffs impact pricing at all on Kent Wang suits?

aaronatKW

Reaction score
Will the new tariffs impact pricing at all on Kent Wang suits?

Thanks for asking. We always try to price our suits competitively, and have not raised suit prices in about five years. Fortunately, the September 1 tariffs do not affect our suits or overcoats. Other tariffs are scheduled to take effect on December 15. We don't know yet whether they will affect us, so we encourage you to place your orders now :)

Last edited:

Jesse@KentWang

Reaction score
Somehow I missed announcing this but if you are a fan of our whale tie we added a burgundy to go along with the current navy

Spurious

Reaction score
Thanks for asking. We always try to price our suits competitively, and have not raised suit prices in about five years. Fortunately, the September 1 tariffs do not affect our suits or overcoats. Other tariffs are scheduled to take effect on December 15. We don't know yet whether they will affect us, so we encourage you to place your orders now :)

Presuambly, tariffs would affect US based customers only, right?

aaronatKW

Reaction score
Presuambly, tariffs would affect US based customers only, right?

Before the garments ship to our customers across the world, they must first be imported into the United States.

But if, after all these years, due to imposition of tariffs or for any other reason, we feel compelled to change suit prices, we will let you all know well in advance.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These shawl cardigans were something we previewed a little on social media as they were being developed. We redesigned them a bunch of times before we were completely happy and the end result was well worth it. They are now in stock and live online, hope you guys like them!

View attachment 1238855
View attachment 1238856
View attachment 1238857

Very cool. So you guys changed the stock pattern offered by that particular Canadian manufacturer? The shawl looks much wider than what they normally offer and the button stance a touch lower.

Jesse@KentWang

Reaction score
Very cool. So you guys changed the stock pattern offered by that particular Canadian manufacturer? The shawl looks much wider than what they normally offer and the button stance a touch lower.

We definitely wanted that wide collar, it was key. The button stance, cuff, and bottom hem have also been redesigned.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jesse@KentWang just some constructive criticism, but KW is leaving a large chunk of the market out in the cold (literally and figuratively) with the sizing of most of your RTW runs. Topping out at an XL at a 41/42 jacket size is pretty small and cuts out a large number of prospective buyers

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@Jesse@KentWang just some constructive criticism, but KW is leaving a large chunk of the market out in the cold (literally and figuratively) with the sizing of most of your RTW runs. Topping out at an XL at a 41/42 jacket size is pretty small and cuts out a large number of prospective buyers

KW sizing is absolutely marsupialed and a good example of not knowing your market. I have a 44 inch chest and barely fit KW XXL shirts. L should fit me just fine. Perhaps KW sizing would make sense if their customer base was primarily Asian, but it's not. 41/42 should be a M or L, not XL. It's like the opposite of vanity sizing. And it's actually kind of hilarious.

Jesse@KentWang

Reaction score

It’s just new for us. We are considering MTO depending how the initial run goes.

KW sizing is absolutely marsupialed and a good example of not knowing your market. I have a 44 inch chest and barely fit KW XXL shirts. L should fit me just fine. Perhaps KW sizing would make sense if their customer base was primarily Asian, but it's not. 41/42 should be a M or L, not XL. It's like the opposite of vanity sizing. And it's actually kind of hilarious.

I’m a 40” chest and wear a large in plenty of brands, including our own for polos and these cardigans. Keep in mind, yes it is a slim fit, but it’s also going to have a lot of give and stretch out with wear. The measurements are taken brand new, at the smallest they will ever be.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I’m a 40” chest and wear a large in plenty of brands, including our own for polos and these cardigans. Keep in mind, yes it is a slim fit, but it’s also going to have a lot of give and stretch out with wear. The measurements are taken brand new, at the smallest they will ever be.

Surely, you can't seriously be trying to equate a KW large with a large from most American brands? I get that you pseudo work for KW, so you have to downplay any criticism, even harmless, constructive criticism, but for the vast majority of American brands, a large is meant to fit 42-44 inch chests, while a medium is 38-40.

Jesse@KentWang

Reaction score
Surely, you can't seriously be trying to equate a KW large with a large from most American brands? I get that you pseudo work for KW, so you have to downplay any criticism, even harmless, constructive criticism, but for the vast majority of American brands, a large is meant to fit 42-44 inch chests, while a medium is 38-40.

That’s fair. I’m just speaking on my own personal experience, nothing more. In some brands I also wear medium. I just buy whatever size fits me best and don’t think too much about it.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P
We definitely wanted that wide collar, it was key. The button stance, cuff, and bottom hem have also been redesigned.

These are all great changes. The sweaters look much better than the standard pattern. Would easily purchase a KW if the sizing worked for me.

So please do do MTO in the future. Doing like a once yearly group buy like Epaulet used to do seems like it would make for an easy sale.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just buy whatever size fits me best and don’t think too much about it.

Its not so much the labeling, but the problem occurs when you are not able to purchase something you would like to get and willing to purchase cause it doesn't come in anything even close to what fits you.

I'll say that I've liked everything I've ever gotten from Kent Want, both MTM and RTW. I think the items offer a great value and I appreciate the 'no frills'/simple/honest model and philosophy. But I think that the company as a whole has confused 'no frills' and simple with complacency and operating on almost an ad hoc basis with status quo being the end goal.

I'm no MBB consultant, but I have worked on projects related to operational efficiency and customer engagement. And there are definitely 4-5 low hanging fruit ways that I can think of off the top of my head that KW (the company) could invest in itself through relatively low-cost, low-tech projects that would create create efficiencies, improve revenue streams, and solidify their place in the market that has an increasing amount of competition. I've already thrown out one idea for free a couple of weeks ago, but the company just doesn't seem interested in making any changes for the sake of stability or improvement (see: the MTM suit options form fiasco)

I say all this because I enjoy the company, its products, and the people I've worked with on MTM. I'd like to see it stick around and for me to be able to spend more money on buying items there. But at this point, I've started to explore other tailors and haberdasheries as I, being in my mid-30's, still have plenty of years left of buying classic menswear for the office and investing in a more 'adult' wardrobe across the board and I don't want to have to start from scratch in another 3-5 years...

@Jesse@KentWang and @Kent Wang if you'd like to discuss some basic ideas on operational efficiency and customer engagement, feel free to PM me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads