• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my take;

I’ve personally always enjoyed working with Aaron on my orders but agree it has some quirks. For example: It does feel a bit that the onus is on the customer to double check the measurement adjustments. Ideally that type of quirk would be worked out of the system. I will say that the TS has some fair points but in a few cases it feels like an overreaction stemming from Built up frustration.

I am fine with some of the quirks ordering mtm like this comes with and will probably continue to do so.

danix

Reaction score
The only positive thing I can say about Kent Wang and Aaron is that they did not try to cheat me out of my money and eventually gave me my refund (though it took three separate requests, with no acknowledgement of the requests except the last one).

Aloysius16

Reaction score
This is what you can expect.

Agree that KW isn’t at all suitable for someone demanding quick responses. I just don’t think the scale of operation allows for it. My own experience was of typically waiting/chasing for two weeks between responses to fairly basic queries in order to clear up measurement mistakes or botched garments. And then there would typically be a partial response requiring a further clarifying query, hence another two weeks chasing/waiting, etc.

I also agree that I had no concerns about being ripped off and I was refunded in the end quite honourably. I also received some compensation given that the whole process had taken nearly a year with no satisfactory suit at the end of it. There are some favoured retailers on SF that wouldn’t take this approach unfortunately.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my money, that's a woefully inadequate timeline in response. If my experiences with KW had been similar, I almost certainly would not have moved forward having anything made.
If that is more the norm, I would hope that is being addressed and improved upon.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The response from the namesake of the company or lack thereof speaks volume.

Anyway... for the record, in my case they did offer me a free tie and PS to try and makeup for it but my experience was bad enough that I will never use them again.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Excellent customer service has always been our top priority. It's clear that we've failed here and a few other MTM customers. Unfortunately, this is the nature of a complex operation that is MTM. I sometimes consider dropping MTM altogether, but judging from the large silent majority of happy MTM customers, I think that would cause even more unhappiness.

We're gradually improving our MTM experience by bringing on Zach but it takes time to train and integrate more staff. I can only ask for y'all's patience on this and to accept my apologies on any failures.

jssdc

Reaction score
I’ve been ordering from KW since 2014 and have seven suits and four SC’s (and a wide variety of other stuff). I’ll agree that the communication can be spotty at times, as can the details on the order capture. I’ve always attributed this more to a combination of rising business volume (the NY shop has been double-booked the last 3-4 times I’ve been there) and the super low-tech ordering system (the form that copies into a text message) than the enthusiasm or attitudes of the team.

Bottom line for me is that the fit is good, which I imagine is the case for plenty of folks but not everyone. The only suit that wasn’t great was my first one, and even when I changed size 4-5 orders in the adjustments were spot on for my next order. By contrast I’ve tried other MTM that have been a fit disaster. I’m sure something like Steed MTM would get great fit results too, and probably take the ordering and communication standard up a peg, but at a way higher price point. I still feel like KW remains the best value provider out there.

orfane

Reaction score
Really, really surprised at the responses here. From my end, I just placed my first ever MTM order with Kent Wang on July 17th. I ordered a French Cuff shirt, two pocket squares, and some socks. I received a confirmation email and shipping notice immediately. Prior to placing my order I contacted Aaron about how the MTM process works and got a prompt response. After placing the order I received a follow up email from Aaron explaining what pictures to take so they could determine what adjustments to make on the fit.

Everything arrived less than a week after placing my order. The shirt did not fit at all, I couldn't button the neck and the waist was far too big. I sent Aaron the pictures as requested on July 24th, got a response July 25th. I returned the template shirt, emailing Aaron on the 26th and receiving a same day response. I emailed on August 6th to follow up on the shipping timeline and received a response August 7th. Multiple back and forth emails to add expedited shipping (I had a wedding I wanted the shirt for) all had same day responses and the shirt arrived in time for my event on August 20th, barely a month past my order date. Not only that, it was a PERFECT fit. I'm still working on getting pictures together but I could not be happier with how it turned out.

Literally the biggest hassle I had in this process was that I planned poorly and needed to add expedited shipping and Aaron helped with that immediately. The amount of service I received, the quality of the item I received, and the fact that Aaron created such a good fit on sight alone from a very ill-fitting shirt is honestly astounding, especially at the price I paid. It seems like not everyone has had the same experience, but I really couldn't be happier.

caktaylor

Reaction score
I've also had nothing but positive experiences with the MTM process (suits and shirts). The shirts were done with the sample shirt and emails of photos; I ended up with a very good fit. For the suit, I had an in-person fitting while I was in New York for work. I found Aaron to be very pleasant, both in person and in email communications, and he was responsive during the follow-up and finalization of the sale.

danix

Reaction score
Potential customers (and Kent Wang Co) can read your positive experiences and the negative feedback, weigh it against the screenshot evidence of the current standard of service, and draw their own conclusions.

orfane

Reaction score
Potential customers (and Kent Wang Co) can read your positive experiences and the negative feedback, weigh it against the screenshot evidence of the current standard of service, and draw their own conclusions.

I don't disagree, and as I mentioned it seems like you had a very difference experience than I did. But you are coming across as pretty aggressive here. Your story is no more anecdotal than mine. Its one thing to post a negative review, its another to come in and act like your experience is the only one that matters and repeatedly attack them.

danix

Reaction score
I don't disagree, and as I mentioned it seems like you had a very difference experience than I did. But you are coming across as pretty aggressive here. Your story is no more anecdotal than mine. Its one thing to post a negative review, its another to come in and act like your experience is the only one that matters and repeatedly attack them.

I literally said none of those things and merely invited people to draw their own conclusions, which you have. Cheers.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I

I literally said none of those things and merely invited people to draw their own conclusions, which you have. Cheers.
Come on now. To pretend there's no thumb on the scale in this comparison is silly. You're providing "evidence" that your experience (a very bad one, to be sure) is the current standard, and, in so many words, what one should expect when considering KW.
In any event, sorry for your negative experience. It's never fun to feel jerked around like that.

jssdc

Reaction score

What you actually did was invite potential customers to weigh the “experience” of others versus the “evidence” that you provided (implication is that one is anecdotal and the other fact), and then referred to your “evidence” at the “current standard” (implication that the anecdotes of others are temporally less relevant than yours). So don’t pretend to impartial.

I think it’s good when there’s a certain balance of fans and critics on AV threads since that keeps it competitive. But you’ve said your piece, received plenty of supportive feedback from the community, and should move on and stop beating a dead horse.

Jesse@KentWang

Reaction score
On a lighter note, we actually just launched a new sunglass design named Knox! It's live online right now and comes in tortoiseshell and black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads