• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd like to use this suit for casual situations. On occasion, I also might use it for fan events to "dress up" as the character pictured.
This is a good rationale. Most of my suits are casual like linen, seersucker, tweed. In my life, I find I wear those much more often. So a more casual color like olive/grey may work well for you.

DB doesn't look good unbuttoned, so you won't be able to wear it when it's warmer.

Also, DBs are so rare nowadays, you'll be standing out more from the crowd. In today's casual world, wearing a suit at all is already standing out enough, so a DB is just too much in my opinion.

I don't own any DBs, while Aaron has several, so he'll have a different opinion.

A 3-pc is a similar situation of being too rare, but at least you can omit the vest most of the time, and wear it when going to a wedding or something similarly formal.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
This is a good rationale. Most of my suits are casual like linen, seersucker, tweed. In my life, I find I wear those much more often. So a more casual color like olive/grey may work well for you.

DB doesn't look good unbuttoned, so you won't be able to wear it when it's warmer.

Also, DBs are so rare nowadays, you'll be standing out more from the crowd. In today's casual world, wearing a suit at all is already standing out enough, so a DB is just too much in my opinion.

I don't own any DBs, while Aaron has several, so he'll have a different opinion.

Really appreciate hearing your thought process. I’ll have to sleep on this. I think the big choice now is SB vs. DB…

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer 3ps. I can only wear the vest about 4 months of the year but for me i don't like buttoning a jacket but i also like the visual line of the suit being extended. Kind of what kent was saying the mere act of wearing a suit and tie stands out so much on its own that im not sure adding on to that with a vest makes a difference

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, maybe earlier.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, I’ve owned a couple KW polos, one of which is still in circulation (circa 2017), but I forgot just how great these are. I was reminded yesterday when I received a new rugby polo in brown. I have difficulty with most shirts because I have shoulder width of a medium and chest of a large. KW size L fits perfectly. The pique is hefty but forgiving, sleeves, collar and length are just about spot-on. I’m going to jump on another in navy and hoping black is restocked soon.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Hello Kent Wang and fans. I was wondering if I could get some sizing advice for the polo/rugby shirts. From what I've read here, I think Large may be the best size for me. However, outside of tailored clothes (dress shirts, suits, etc.), I tend to prefer tighter-fitting clothes. With a 42" chest and 31" (at buttoning point) to 32.5" (at navel) waist, I tend to struggle finding polos/sweaters with the right amount of waist suppression. Too much fabric pops out when I tuck in my shirts. Any advice on sizing here? I'm leaning Large because it'll be an 18" shoulder, which is about what I have for most of my tailored jackets. Thanks all!

P.S. Just started a MTM shirt project with the Kent Wang team. Looking forward to the experience. We were in talks about a MTM DB suit earlier, but instead, I'll slowly build my wardrobe with more conservative pieces from Kent Wang first. Thanks to Kent Wang for the advice when I was admittedly much newer in my understanding of style.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Kent Wang and fans. I was wondering if I could get some sizing advice for the polo/rugby shirts. From what I've read here, I think Large may be the best size for me. However, outside of tailored clothes (dress shirts, suits, etc.), I tend to prefer tighter-fitting clothes. With a 42" chest and 31" (at buttoning point) to 32.5" (at navel) waist, I tend to struggle finding polos/sweaters with the right amount of waist suppression. Too much fabric pops out when I tuck in my shirts. Any advice on sizing here? I'm leaning Large because it'll be an 18" shoulder, which is about what I have for most of my tailored jackets. Thanks all!

P.S. Just started a MTM shirt project with the Kent Wang team. Looking forward to the experience. We were in talks about a MTM DB suit earlier, but instead, I'll slowly build my wardrobe with more conservative pieces from Kent Wang first. Thanks to Kent Wang for the advice when I was admittedly much newer in my understanding of style.
Taper? We've a similar build (chest a bit wider...sadly waist too lol), and I've never really found any sort of top that "hugs" my waist without everywhere else being far too slim.
If memory serves on sizing, KW polos are VERY trim, to the point large might be small for your chest. Well, snug, if not small.

Curious about the MTM shirting voyage. Good luck

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Taper? We've a similar build (chest a bit wider...sadly waist too lol), and I've never really found any sort of top that "hugs" my waist without everywhere else being far too slim.
If memory serves on sizing, KW polos are VERY trim, to the point large might be small for your chest. Well, snug, if not small.

Curious about the MTM shirting voyage. Good luck

Overall a lucky problem to have, but yes, very annoying to get well-fitting clothes! Will keep this thread posted on how it goes. I'm hoping this might be my first truly fitting shirt without having to resort to full bespoke.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 37” chest and wear medium in KW polos. Large will be tight on you.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall a lucky problem to have, but yes, very annoying to get well-fitting clothes! Will keep this thread posted on how it goes. I'm hoping this might be my first truly fitting shirt without having to resort to full bespoke.
I don't doubt KW can get you sorted. With the only caveat being your neck size, it would seem you definitely should not be doing RTW, particularly if you want a tighter fitting silhouette

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads