• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Big, big fan of the W/S squares…

IRT MTM, I wouldn’t skimp on the fabric. It’s a (relatively) minor step up on price for a notable step up in quality, and with how little you intend to wear it, will likely last either your life, or as long as your body permits it to.

Note: I’d be sure to confirm the timeline you’re needing. My first MTM was roughly 2.5 months from order to delivery. I’m sure they can fast track if needed (I didn’t need it), but be very clear.
View attachment 1816800

IRT?

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
About to start my first MTM suit project with Kent Wang. I was hoping to get a lightweight fabric, double-breasted suit (in an olive/grey tone). Question: do you think it's okay to start with a double-breasted suit for my first MTM? I'm scared the fit might be off, given how I've heard DB suits are harder to fit.

I've found I fit somewhat decently in SuitSupply's Havana 40R. (Measurements attached below). Only tweak I could use is a slimmer waist (1 inch?) and shorter sleeve (0.6 inches).

On Kent Wang's website, it seems like their 40R fit is overall the best for me, but the chest seems smaller. Any thoughts or experiences on Kent Wang's vs SuitSupply's fits? I was thinking of ordering the 40R trial suit to test, but I'm unsure given the chest measurements especially (my chest is 41.5"; slimmest area of waist is 33").

Attachments

• 34707123-3EE6-4DA5-914B-C4B4418D03CF_1_102_o.jpeg
    34707123-3EE6-4DA5-914B-C4B4418D03CF_1_102_o.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 630
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 11.41.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 11.41.39 PM.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 678

shortlefty

Reaction score
About to start my first MTM suit project with Kent Wang. I was hoping to get a lightweight fabric, double-breasted suit (in an olive/grey tone). Question: do you think it's okay to start with a double-breasted suit for my first MTM? I'm scared the fit might be off, given how I've heard DB suits are harder to fit.

I've found I fit somewhat decently in SuitSupply's Havana 40R. (Measurements attached below). Only tweak I could use is a slimmer waist (1 inch?) and shorter sleeve (0.6 inches).

On Kent Wang's website, it seems like their 40R fit is overall the best for me, but the chest seems smaller. Any thoughts or experiences on Kent Wang's vs SuitSupply's fits? I was thinking of ordering the 40R trial suit to test, but I'm unsure given the chest measurements especially (my chest is 41.5"; slimmest area of waist is 33").

I recently went in person for mtm. I forget the gentleman's name, but he is absolutely killer at what he does. Super informative, great with suggestions, and has a great eye for detail.

That being said, if youre close to an off the rack from SS and only need some alterations, that may be more affordable option if you need it.

If youre doing the trial suit and not going in person, im sure it will be fine as well as long as youre not wildly differently. Just make sure you take good pictures at various angles - people have gotten amazing well at figuring out fit details from pictures alone.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
I recently went in person for mtm. I forget the gentleman's name, but he is absolutely killer at what he does. Super informative, great with suggestions, and has a great eye for detail.

That being said, if youre close to an off the rack from SS and only need some alterations, that may be more affordable option if you need it.

If youre doing the trial suit and not going in person, im sure it will be fine as well as long as youre not wildly differently. Just make sure you take good pictures at various angles - people have gotten amazing well at figuring out fit details from pictures alone.

Was it Aaron? I’ve been emailing him about this, and he’s been very helpful in the decision making process. He suggested to start with the 40R first.

I did consider SS, but I noticed that for a similar MTO suit, the price is essentially the same (about $1,000), but without the really diverse choice of fabric options. I’m especially interested in a fabric like Fresco, so I thought I might as well give KW a try. The only thing SS is superior (for me) seems to be their bigger chest-waist drop. I think they’re friendlier to more athletic builds, whereas Kent Wang is more to slimmer ones?

Duly noted on the fit pictures! I’ll be sure to take my time on that.

s4swordfish

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m interested in a Kent Wang MTM suit. But i’m a little confused. The prices seems too good to be true based on fabric options compared to cost. Especially when looking at OTR suits that are fully canvassed but cost more. My question is… what am i getting in an OTR suit that would be $1500 (Canali, for example) vs a Kent Wang for a similar price

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all

I’m interested in a Kent Wang MTM suit. But i’m a little confused. The prices seems too good to be true based on fabric options compared to cost. Especially when looking at OTR suits that are fully canvassed but cost more. My question is… what am i getting in an OTR suit that would be $1500 (Canali, for example) vs a Kent Wang for a similar price
You'd be shocked how much you pay for marketing and overhead/

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got one two piece made up by Aaron is 2018 and literally have not worn it.. I was close to listing it for sale but 1. felt bad selling it to someone, and 2. wouldn't even know if the type of body that would fit it exists on the face of the planet.

s4swordfish

Reaction score
You'd be shocked how much you pay for marketing and overhead/

Thank you for the reply! I think this gets to what I’m asking! Obviously in a lot of luxury goods you’re paying for the name and the expense that comes with it.

So, would you say that a local tailor doing MTM could make a suit thats just as high quality as a name brand for less?
It seems like Kent Wang can get all the nicest fabrics you want

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! I think this gets to what I’m asking! Obviously in a lot of luxury goods you’re paying for the name and the expense that comes with it.

So, would you say that a local tailor doing MTM could make a suit thats just as high quality as a name brand for less?
It seems like Kent Wang can get all the nicest fabrics you want

Without going into too much detail, KW uses a large overseas manufacturer where: a) cost of labor is significantly cheaper, b) it’s a CAD pattern for fabric cutting as opposed to someone manually doing it, c) the economies of scale come into play for further reducing manufacturing costs/fabric cost via purchasing power, and d) the KW outfit itself has very little overhead and zero advertising/marketing

IIRC most US and Euro “off the rack” stuff is typically priced at roughly a 4x mark up

s4swordfish

Reaction score
Without going into too much detail, KW uses a large overseas manufacturer where: a) cost of labor is significantly cheaper, b) it’s a CAD pattern for fabric cutting as opposed to someone manually doing it, c) the economies of scale come into play for further reducing manufacturing costs/fabric cost via purchasing power, and d) the KW outfit itself has very little overhead and zero advertising/marketing

IIRC most US and Euro “off the rack” stuff is typically priced at roughly a 4x mark up

Cool thank you. and I saw your post in another thread about how you were looking at other MTM brands and the limited options of KW. I’m not too concerned about limited options, as I want something rather standard. But, have you found any other MTM brands to recommend or better price/quality value? Feel free to PM if it’s inappropriate to post here. Thanks!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool thank you. and I saw your post in another thread about how you were looking at other MTM brands and the limited options of KW. I’m not too concerned about limited options, as I want something rather standard. But, have you found any other MTM brands to recommend or better price/quality value? Feel free to PM if it’s inappropriate to post here. Thanks!

I definitely enjoy my KW pieces and they represent a tremendous value.

They’ve also substantially increased their style options since my last orders 4 years ago. So it’s a bit apples and oranges to compare my previous experiences to what’s on deck now.

if it’s your first foray into MTM then KW is a solid kick off, especially if you can get fitted in person with Aaron.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IRT means "in regards to".

Personally I disagree with spending more on fabric. Our fabrics at price levels A-C should be enough to cover your 1st through 3rd suits. If you absolutely must have fresco or something fancy, then go ahead and splurge on the fabric but I think most people don't need it. I made myself 10 suits and all are C level or less.

Especially with a first suit, which may not fit as perfectly as a second commission.

About to start my first MTM suit project with Kent Wang. I was hoping to get a lightweight fabric, double-breasted suit (in an olive/grey tone). Question: do you think it's okay to start with a double-breasted suit for my first MTM?
The fit of a DB isn't harder, so that's not the issue.

Not knowing your current suit wardrobe and your lifestyle, I suggest customers take a step back and think hard if such a suit is really what they want.

A conservative navy or charcoal single-breasted suit may get much more wear in your life than an olive/grey DB.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
IRT means "in regards to".

Personally I disagree with spending more on fabric. Our fabrics at price levels A-C should be enough to cover your 1st through 3rd suits. If you absolutely must have fresco or something fancy, then go ahead and splurge on the fabric but I think most people don't need it. I made myself 10 suits and all are C level or less.

Especially with a first suit, which may not fit as perfectly as a second commission.

The fit of a DB isn't harder, so that's not the issue.

Not knowing your current suit wardrobe and your lifestyle, I suggest customers take a step back and think hard if such a suit is really what they want.

A conservative navy or charcoal single-breasted suit may get much more wear in your life than an olive/grey DB.

Hi Kent, appreciate you chiming in. I've been thinking a lot about the considerations you raised. It's really helpful to hear directly from you. Maybe I can explain my train of thought?

This will be my third suit. Currently, I have a charcoal 2-piece/SB and a navy 2-piece/SB which covers essentially all my formal situations (they're the conservative staples as you mentioned). I've been thinking about an olive/grey for 2 reasons. First, a lot of my friends/family have long told me olive complements with my complexion/build quite well. Green (mainly darker/earthy shades) might actually be my second most common wardrobe color, second only to black. I've noticed mid-grey doesn't work well on me which is rather unfortunate. Another reason is use case: I'd like to use this suit for casual situations. On occasion, I also might use it for fan events to "dress up" as the character pictured.

I get about 1 chance per month (maybe less) to wear a suit to a "formal event," so whenever I do, it ends up being the navy or charcoal. Was hoping to do something a bit more exciting, rather than blending in with everyone for once.

That said, I am really considering a 3-piece/SB too. Or a 6x2 in a conservative color, rather than a 4x2 in olive/grey. Maybe those options would be a better first commission? Would be excited to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads