• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the wash / dry care for linen socks? I need a pair of cream OTC socks and am between wool and linen

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Hi, I've had my Kent Wang umbrella for a little under two years and loved it. Unfortunately it broke this December and the only traditional umbrella shop in the city went under last year. Here's a picture of the problem:

View attachment 1105055

As you can see the runner has been pushed up too high and gotten stuck, and as a result the ribs have hyper-extended and aren't providing any support to the canopy. I've tried my best with a pair of pliers to dislodge the runner and move it back down, but its not budging. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to fix the problem with tools I have lying around the house?

View attachment 1105056

There's also this crack above the top spring, but I'm not sure if it's a functional defect.
I am considering KW umbrella... but haven't really seen any reviews besides: https://journal.styleforum.net/a-guide-to-fine-umbrellas/

Looks nice, but is it reliable? or it is going to break just like $30 umbrella from Amazon...

in which case, might as well support Jeff Bezos. Heard he is struggling now days

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering KW umbrella... but haven't really seen any reviews besides: https://journal.styleforum.net/a-guide-to-fine-umbrellas/

Looks nice, but is it reliable? or it is going to break just like $30 umbrella from Amazon...

in which case, might as well support Jeff Bezos. Heard he is struggling now days

I was able to fix this issue and my umbrella lasted until I forgot it in the back of a taxi. Ymmv.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First commission through Kent Wang's MTM program. Went with this w/s/l blend from Gladson's Portofino collection. Definitely a fun fabric.

I'm really pleased with the construction and fit - huge thanks to @aaronatKW for being so responsive via email, and for having a great eye for the necessary alterations. I'll share some more thoughts and details after a few more wears. Only thing I'd tweak at this point is to reduce sleeve length by about a cm.

Triple, curved patch pockets, quarter lined, wide lapels, soft canvas and con rollino shoulders. Bonus Lod Mosaic pocket square.

A31DC08C-0E8A-4E75-AD28-5EE5AF48084B.jpeg
DFEAB113-7FF1-48AB-860A-88ED5100E154.jpeg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is somewhat reasonable, but it is a sample size of one, after all, and I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about theirs. Maybe I just drew the short straw.

"N of one" is one of my favorite phrases on business lingo bingo

I think people expect too much from the KW products. I dont have any experience with the umbrellas or accessories, only the suits and ties (which I like very much). They are very good products at a very very good price point, but short of a high end luxury produced good.

A quick comparison shows that the KW umbrellas are have the same aesthetic of the Fox umbrellas at The Armoury at less than half the price. I imagine the cost savings has an impact on the quality of the product at some point compared to a luxury good. But then again, isn't that the whole value proposition of KW?

jleonardbc

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered the shawl collar cardigan in Byzantium? I'd love to see how it looks compared to the standard burgundy.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"N of one" is one of my favorite phrases on business lingo bingo

I think people expect too much from the KW products. I dont have any experience with the umbrellas or accessories, only the suits and ties (which I like very much). They are very good products at a very very good price point, but short of a high end luxury produced good.

A quick comparison shows that the KW umbrellas are have the same aesthetic of the Fox umbrellas at The Armoury at less than half the price. I imagine the cost savings has an impact on the quality of the product at some point compared to a luxury good. But then again, isn't that the whole value proposition of KW?

My point was just that every manufacturing process is going to have an error rate. The fact that my umbrella broke down isn't indicative that KWs umbrellas have a higher error rate than Fox's. I suspect a significant amount of the premium has to do with the Armoury maintaining a physical storefront in one of the most expensive cities in the world, and Fox manufacturing in Britain rather than wherever KW does, probably somewhere in Asia. Whether the additional cost or the institutional knowledge at Fox results in a higher quality product is tough to say. One strike is only one strike.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My point was just that every manufacturing process is going to have an error rate. The fact that my umbrella broke down isn't indicative that KWs umbrellas have a higher error rate than Fox's. I suspect a significant amount of the premium has to do with the Armoury maintaining a physical storefront in one of the most expensive cities in the world, and Fox manufacturing in Britain rather than wherever KW does, probably somewhere in Asia. Whether the additional cost or the institutional knowledge at Fox results in a higher quality product is tough to say. One strike is only one strike.

oh I totally agree on all of those points, the tone of my response might have been a bit muddled...maybe I was thinking of the response prior to yours

bang for the buck, I think that KW is about as good as it gets. But you can also get a higher quality product by paying a lot more too.

I just think that sometimes SF dudes have unrealistic expectations with wanting to find high quality items, at low prices, with excellent customer service. it’s like the old carpenters triangle: cheap, fast, good...pick two

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh I totally agree on all of those points, the tone of my response might have been a bit muddled...maybe I was thinking of the response prior to yours

bang for the buck, I think that KW is about as good as it gets. But you can also get a higher quality product by paying a lot more too.

I just think that sometimes SF dudes have unrealistic expectations with wanting to find high quality items, at low prices, with excellent customer service. it’s like the old carpenters triangle: cheap, fast, good...pick two
To anothet point there's a fascination with quality on SF and an unwillingness to recognize that at a certain point goods may be "better," but like you won't know the difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads