1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

What does that mean? How are you measuring the peak lapel?

2. herfitup

herfitup Well-Known Member

Ken Wang is one of the most gracious vendors I have ever dealt with. I needed a pocket square for my daughter's wedding next weekend. It was only a $20 purchase but I got a hand written thank you in the package and I was only charged $1 shipping, what it cost to send it in an envelope. I will purchase from Ken again.

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

The red line indicates how to measure a notch lapel. On our standard lapel option, this will be 3.5".

[​IMG]
    The peak lapel is a little harder to measure, but if you measure according to the red line, our standard lapel option which is 3.5" on a notch lapel will be 4" on a peak lapel.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  4. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my most recent made-to-measure commission. As others would attest, Kent has been very gracious and helpful during the process, especially with measuring and providing insight. I think I've fiddled with most of the measurements, and I really like the results. I'm very happy with the craftsmanship as well as the comfort and fit of the suit. For anyone thinking of trying out Kent's MtM, I would highly recommend with full confidence. I'll be ordering several more from Kent, as I currently have the F/W fabric bunch :). The unfortunate photo quality is the best I can do for now, but I'll be sure to post more photos once I get a better camera. The last two photos depict the suit color most accurately. For those of you who are interested, I went with the 4.5'' notch lapels and unconstructed shoulders with spalla camicia. I know you guys have been wondering about the 4.5'' lapels-- In my opinion they are definitely not very extreme.

Kent, if you are lobbying to the suitmaker for possible changes, I'd really like to be able to raise the gorge (1-2cm) and to move the darts & pockets outward (1-2cm).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  5. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Looks good. Lapels aren't too wide, in fact, I like them. I agree with moving the pockets outwards.

6. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Looks great indeed! And I love the 4.5 inch lapels. The natural shoulders look good, too. I'm definitely a fan of minimal padding. Question for Kent: how big of a difference is there between the "soft" and "unconstructed" shoulder options on your suits? And what exactly is spalla camicia?

1 person likes this.
  7. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

Just got my suede chukkas in from Kent Wang today. Here's a pic!

[​IMG]

The color is definitely the darker color posted on Kent's site. Love the beveled waist. Very nice quality.

FYI thank the Put This On post about fall chukkas - that is what inspired me to buy these. I've been eyeballing them for some time but for some reason, that put me over the limit.

8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

yywwyy - very nice looking suit man....I agree, I think the wide lapels look awesome. I think after my next payday I'll be putting in a very large purchase with KW for a pair of shoes and a suit, possibly a shirt too. I've been wanting to try out the MTM shirting option for a while now.

Jsoftz - chukkas look killer, I love the shape of that last.

9. Beatlegeuse

yywwyy - one question on your suit....what is the shoulder-to-shoulder measurement on your jacket? Mine would probably be about 18.25" or 18.5", so I'm trying to decide if the wide lapels would be too big for that shoulder size. I'm guessing if the shoulder measurement is really large, then wide lapels look OK, but if the shoulder is too narrow then 4.5" lapels may be too extreme.

10. Rich0116

Rich0116 Senior member

Wait a second...these

[​IMG]

are these...

[​IMG]

??

I've been hesitating on a purchase because I thought the color was too dark. But if this is true....

11. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

You have a larger shoulder measurement than I do. Though I don't have an accurate measurement right now, I wear close to 36 in most brands. To note: As you saw with Kent's diagram, his lapels seem to be measured at a slant rather than horizontally across. I think this makes them slightly smaller than expected. This is why I felt the 3.5'' was too small and 4.5'' was not so big. Good luck with your suit- definitely a good decision.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

Kent, do you still expect to restock all sizes of the chukkas this month?

I, too, would be interested to know how true to color the chukka pic is compared to the website.

13. Beatlegeuse

Awesome, thanks so much for the explanation!

14. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Exactly the same here. The color in that real-life photo is beautiful, although the color temperature looks a little hot and that may explain it.

15. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

So what's the verdict, are they lighter?
    If yo look at the photo on Kent's site they are way darker than the example above.

16. topos

topos Senior member

For what it's worth, regarding the true color of those boots: I don't have those, but I do have the dark brown captoes, and in natural light (outside in the sun) they look almost identical to how they look in the photo. In less direct but still natural light the red hue is more subdued, but the photo is still quite close to the real deal. Of course, the way light bounces off suede is quite a bit different, and I don't know anything about photography or how the photos posted on Kent's website were shot. If I had to guess, I'd bet the boots on the floor photo was shot under fluorescent light, which (I anecdotally and with an untrained eye have noticed) distorts color quite a bit.

17. Beatlegeuse

^ care to post some pics of the dark brown captoes in the wild? I've been seriously considering these but it would be nice to see some real life shots of these in action.

18. Kingcarn

Kingcarn Well-Known Member

Has anyone gotten a tux made by Kent? I searched the thread but didn't see any pictures or mention of one.

19. heli0x

heli0x Senior member

+1 would really like to see some actual pics, considering the color differences above. Also, really surprised that there is almost no discussion at all about the shoes, since they seem like a really good deal considering the price, styling and construction
    Also, can anyone comment on sizing? one guy was saying go down 1.5 size, someone else said TTS???

20. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The photos on the website are accurate. I have a pretty good studio setup and check everything on a calibrated monitor. The dark brown suede is fairly dark. I wear them often and find the color to be very versatile.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The chukkas should be restocked in about six weeks. The initial batch had some sizing errors but that has been fixed now and you should just order your usual size in other brands.