• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Will Kent Wang still send you fabric swatch books at request when ordering an MTM suit? Wondering why there are so few basic (A price range) four season fabrics on the website.

I'm thinking about giving Kent Wang MTM a shot again. I had a couple suits made a few years ago and was mostly happy, but I no longer own those suits. After losing some weight, then hitting the gym consistently, I've about outgrown my current suits, which kinda sucks, but it's also nice to have an excuse to buy new ones. Will probably have to base my suit off the size 46 trial jacket. I recall @vriche posting pics several months ago of his KW suit--you and I are about the same height and jacket size, and if my suit looks half as good as yours, I'll be happy. I'd love to hear your thoughts after (presumably) wearing your KW suit a few times by now.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @SJR3,

First and foremost, thanks for the compliment. And I agree that KW did a really good job. And after wearing it a few times, I couldn’t be happier with the result especially since it was my first try.

My tailor did tweak it a little bit and Aaron said we’ll incorporate the changes on my next order. The only thing I would’ve changed besides those recommended by my tailor would be to have a slightly higher rise.

I think one thing that helped is I did the fitting in person and Aaron and I have similar style so I didn’t have to really explain too much. Hope that helps and hopefully I can take some pictures soon.

Johnsson

Reaction score
Will Kent Wang still send you fabric swatch books at request when ordering an MTM suit? Wondering why there are so few basic (A price range) four season fabrics on the website.

If you have something in mind that isn't on the site, ask Aaron. I've signed out numerous books that aren't catalogued on the site; only requires a deposit. He has also been able to get me samples that he doesn't have books for, so the options are virtually limitless.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey @SJR3,

First and foremost, thanks for the compliment. And I agree that KW did a really good job. And after wearing it a few times, I couldn’t be happier with the result especially since it was my first try.

My tailor did tweak it a little bit and Aaron said we’ll incorporate the changes on my next order. The only thing I would’ve changed besides those recommended by my tailor would be to have a slightly higher rise.

I think one thing that helped is I did the fitting in person and Aaron and I have similar style so I didn’t have to really explain too much. Hope that helps and hopefully I can take some pictures soon.

You're welcome! And please do post some more pics of your suit when you can.

I wish I had the luxury of doing an in-person fitting like you did. No doubt this has a better chance of yielding a good result the first time around. Did you still try on the trial suit and do adjustments based on it? I'm curious which pants size you used and what kind of adjustments were made. KW's standard pattern pants are definitely too slim/low rise for me, and last time around I had some messiness on the backside of the pants as seems to happen a lot with KW. But you were able to achieve really nice, cleanly draping pants. Getting the pants right is my biggest concern with KW MTM. Will definitely opt for side adjusters, and probably do suspender buttons also.

Forgive me if this question is dumb, but it is okay to use suspenders if you have side adjusters on the pants, correct? I've never used suspenders before but I really like idea. And I'm assuming if you have suspender buttons added, they are on the inside and basically give you the option to wear suspenders or not?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're welcome! And please do post some more pics of your suit when you can.

I wish I had the luxury of doing an in-person fitting like you did. No doubt this has a better chance of yielding a good result the first time around. Did you still try on the trial suit and do adjustments based on it? I'm curious which pants size you used and what kind of adjustments were made. KW's standard pattern pants are definitely too slim/low rise for me, and last time around I had some messiness on the backside of the pants as seems to happen a lot with KW. But you were able to achieve really nice, cleanly draping pants. Getting the pants right is my biggest concern with KW MTM. Will definitely opt for side adjusters, and probably do suspender buttons also.

Forgive me if this question is dumb, but it is okay to use suspenders if you have side adjusters on the pants, correct? I've never used suspenders before but I really like idea. And I'm assuming if you have suspender buttons added, they are on the inside and basically give you the option to wear suspenders or not?
It's probably dumb by virtue of some silly rule, but that rule is silly and stupid. Definitely don't be shy of wearing suspenders if you have side tabs.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's probably dumb by virtue of some silly rule, but that rule is silly and stupid. Definitely don't be shy of wearing suspenders if you have side tabs.

Was hoping you'd chime in to this discussion, 'cause I know you're a suspender wearing dude. :cheers:

Yeah, I'd definitely never wear suspenders with a belt. That just looks stupid and is redundant, and would probably require clip-on suspenders. Wasn't sure if suspenders with side adjusters is just a lesser version of the same sin. But am I correct in my assumption that suspender buttons are on the inside and thus never seen, so if I wanted to wear those pants sans suspenders, that's totally fine? (Assuming they fit properly at the waist.) And if I'm having a pair of pants made intended to be worn with suspenders, should they fit a little loose around the waist? Or do you want to dial in a snug fit like you otherwise would?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was hoping you'd chime in to this discussion, 'cause I know you're a suspender wearing dude. :cheers:

Yeah, I'd definitely never wear suspenders with a belt. That just looks stupid and is redundant, and would probably require clip-on suspenders. Wasn't sure if suspenders with side adjusters is just a lesser version of the same sin. But am I correct in my assumption that suspender buttons are on the inside and thus never seen, so if I wanted to wear those pants sans suspenders, that's totally fine? (Assuming they fit properly at the waist.) And if I'm having a pair of pants made intended to be worn with suspenders, should they fit a little loose around the waist? Or do you want to dial in a snug fit like you otherwise would?
1. Yes, never do that. Belt + suspenders is horrendous, and a quick way to earn my mockery on social media!
2. Without suspenders, wearing pants with side tabs is totally fine, assuming they fit. No issue whatsoever there. Also assuming buttons are sewns on the inside on the pants, of course.
3. I would say go a touch looser if you intend to wear suspenders.If you're going to wear without suspenders often, though, probably best to still keep them snug enough to stay up without them.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1. Yes, never do that. Belt + suspenders is horrendous, and a quick way to earn my mockery on social media!
2. Without suspenders, wearing pants with side tabs is totally fine, assuming they fit. No issue whatsoever there. Also assuming buttons are sewns on the inside on the pants, of course.
3. I would say go a touch looser if you intend to wear suspenders.If you're going to wear without suspenders often, though, probably best to still keep them snug enough to stay up without them.

Yeah, that all makes perfect sense. I know you have a jacket from KW, but do you have a full suit/pants from them as well?

Does KW put suspender buttons on the inside or outside? I'd assume inside but would appreciate confirmation.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that all makes perfect sense. I know you have a jacket from KW, but do you have a full suit/pants from them as well?

Does KW put suspender buttons on the inside or outside? I'd assume inside but would appreciate confirmation.
No pants yet. Keeping my powder dry until I get a full suit. I would be STUNNED if the buttons were placed on the exterior, so safe bet is they're interior buttons.

Spunge

Reaction score

Inside. Just received my first MTM suit this week.

Spunge

Reaction score
Here are some pics I took for @aaronatKW to see what changes need to be made for my next order.

Fabric is TRG043.

My thoughts: The jacket feels great, and with the exception of the sleeve length, I can't spot any issues. I'm thinking bringing the button point up a hair.

As for the pants, the back of the legs were a little messy but I think that may be because I didn't have them pulled up enough. They give me a very slight wedgie when they are pulled up exactly to where I want them (suspenders make it worse) and I've seen conflicting statements on whether that means I need to 1) increase the back rise 2) deepen the crotch or 3) let out the seat.

I'm waiting to hear back from Aaron but I'd appreciate others' advice as well.
DSCN0396_2_1 copy.jpeg
DSCN0402_2 copy.jpg
DSCN0405_2 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads