• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the construction of the soft shoulder vs standard? Is there still some degree of padding in both? Is the difference mainly towards the shoulder points and how they meet the sleeves? Is it possible to compare the shoulder constructions to any RTW brands with, for instance, RLBL at one end of the spectrum, something like Corneliani in the middle, and Polo blue label at the other (I am not interested in totally unstructured).

Also, Kent has confirmed to me that the button stance can be lowered up to a max of 2.5cm. I will ask Kent the same question in due course but I also wonder if anyone knows if the button stance will get lower as well if I add lengthen to the jacket? I tried online MTM before, and the button stance stayed just as high as the trial jacket even though I added 2” to the overall length, which resulted in a really odd looking garment.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the construction of the soft shoulder vs standard? Is there still some degree of padding in both? Is the difference mainly towards the shoulder points and how they meet the sleeves? Is it possible to compare the shoulder constructions to any RTW brands with, for instance, RLBL at one end of the spectrum, something like Corneliani in the middle, and Polo blue label at the other (I am not interested in totally unstructured).

Also, Kent has confirmed to me that the button stance can be lowered up to a max of 2.5cm. I will ask Kent the same question in due course but I also wonder if anyone knows if the button stance will get lower as well if I add lengthen to the jacket? I tried online MTM before, and the button stance stayed just as high as the trial jacket even though I added 2” to the overall length, which resulted in a really odd looking garment.
I just sent my measurement adjustments in for the test jacket after submitting pics as well. I asked for +2cm to length of jacket as I'm a 42L and test jacket is 42R. Also asked for a lower button stance of -1.5cm. Waiting to hear back from Aaron on what he thinks.

I'm ordering soft shoulder and soft canvassing as well. Not sure about your specific question, though.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the construction of the soft shoulder vs standard? Is there still some degree of padding in both? Is the difference mainly towards the shoulder points and how they meet the sleeves?

I recently asked Aaron a similar question. I have gone with the soft shoulder option and no padding previously, but for my latest buy I have requested the standard shoulder. According to Aaron the level of padding isn't terribly different between the shoulder options. What is different is in the sleeve-head. The soft shoulder is more rounded like a typical Ivy-style shoulder. The standard shoulder is more of a sharp, right angle, shape. I wish I could tell you more about it but I'm waiting for my jacket to arrive. ;)

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The button stance is supposed to lower if you add length to the jacket. My personal experience, though, is that these automatic modifications don't always happen, but they are generally such minor matters that you simply request the adjustment on the next order.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
The button stance is supposed to lower if you add length to the jacket. My personal experience, though, is that these automatic modifications don't always happen, but they are generally such minor matters that you simply request the adjustment on the next order.

Thanks. I'm just looking to get as low a button stance as possible. There must be something odd about me but I have never found a jacket with a low enough stance. Even long fitting jackets that are too long for me in terms of body length tend to have a fastening button at least 3 inches higher than my navel. Best I have found to date is RLBL.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm just looking to get as low a button stance as possible. There must be something odd about me but I have never found a jacket with a low enough stance. Even long fitting jackets that are too long for me in terms of body length tend to have a fastening button at least 3 inches higher than my navel. Best I have found to date is RLBL.

Do you have a large/prominent chest? That is a fit issue I have, which has resulted in buttoning points that are higher than intended. If so, there is a modification specifically for that, which results in the buttoning point dropping considerably. I was thrilled with this modification on my last jacket as I finally have the buttoning point where it should be. Simply dropping the buttoning point to the full extent possible without making this modification left it too far above my navel in prior jackets.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Do you have a large/prominent chest? That is a fit issue I have, which has resulted in buttoning points that are higher than intended. If so, there is a modification specifically for that, which results in the buttoning point dropping considerably. I was thrilled with this modification on my last jacket as I finally have the buttoning point where it should be. Simply dropping the buttoning point to the full extent possible without making this modification left it too far above my navel in prior jackets.

I don't. More like a prominent gut unfortunately, but perhaps the modification might be similar nonetheless?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So long as we're talking about possibilities, is there any chance the made to measure polo program could return? I love the polos, but if I could make the arms and body longer I'd buy a lot more of them

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So long as we're talking about possibilities, is there any chance the made to measure polo program could return? I love the polos, but if I could make the arms and body longer I'd buy a lot more of them
I'm afraid not. For the polos, we need to concentrate on our RTW production. The MTM process is just not really suitable for our polo maker.

That said, polos are pretty easy to tailor. Perhaps you can order the next size up and have it altered so that the torso is narrowed back down?

Reaction score
Can you please advise on the size of this pocket square?
I see both 12 and 13 inches in product description.

Ian @ Kent Wang

Reaction score
Can you please advise on the size of this pocket square?
I see both 12 and 13 inches in product description.

Good catch, looks like there are a couple errors in that section. I believe the standard size for all linen and cotton squares is 12".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics