Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Chaconne

Chaconne Senior member

I haven’t been on SF very long so I can’t speak to what signs might worry a buyer (also I’ve only bought a couple of KW items so not a fanboy). Personally, I would only start worrying about the health of an affiliate if I heard or experienced them running behind on fulfilling orders. The concerns mentioned above just sound like growing pains.

2. aaronatKW

aaronatKW Member

Just a note that I now that I know who smitty is, we realize I responded to him yesterday and again today.

If there is anyone who feels he has an email response overdue, please email again and I will respond today.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The poster's conclusory arguments seem very agenda oriented and lacking in substance.

- 20% MTM price increase? I've not seen that and have been ordering suits since 2013. The most I recall was a price increase for the lowest level fabrics from $800 to $875 a few years ago.

- How in the world can you complain about customer service and bring up Howard Yount? That thread has been complaining for months that the guy does not respond to emails or accept returns. The few people who still order only do so because they know the items fit and will not need to be returned. As for customer service, I've found the other three (KW, S&M and Dapper Cl.) all at the same level in my purchases over the years. No complaints about any of them.

- Better value to price ratios elsewhere? He's clearly not talking about MTM for Howard Yount or Dapper Classics, so not sure how he is comparing trousers at either place with MTM trousers from KW. By the way, I have trousers from all four of the companies you mentioned and I'd put the HY trousers on the same level as KW. The Dapper ones were fine, nothing special, decent quality; the fits simply don't work as well for me as MTM. The S&M ones, however, were miserably cheap quality. Perhaps things have improved in the past few years, but when they first became an AV, the quality was sorely lacking.

- I hear your argument that you would like to see more RTW options from KW. Me too. I enjoy it when they do that, but that's not every business' operating model. You can't be everything to everyone.

- MTM suits are personal. Some prefer an in person tailor. Some get great results from the trial suit/picture process from KW. Some like other vendors where the quality and price is a little lower. That said, I've never found anything for myself that beats KW MTM from a price quality ratio.

4. aaronatKW

aaronatKW Member

Thanks for kind words, but the price of our least expensive suits has only risen from $750 to $795. And the fabric offering at this level has moved from a no-name mill to a fine Italian one, Guabello.

Sometimes our costs rise and so our prices must as well. But whenever possible, if we have to charge you more, we try to offer you more for it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017 at 7:09 AM

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

A lot of good points were made. I can assure everyone that the company remains healthy and that there's a lot of exciting new stuff in the pipeline. I do read this thread often, though not everyday. We've hired some new staff that are helping to get everything running smoothly and to lighten my load so I can do more of what I do best: design high quality products and bring them to you at a good price.

Some things I recognize we need to do:
    1. Improve website
    2. List more of our MTM fabric selections on the website
    3. Keep things in stock
    4. Add more products
    What new products do y'all want to see?

I can sell you my personal v1 with cordovan strap. Email [email protected]

6. caktaylor

caktaylor Member

Aaron, it was a pleasure to meet with you Wednesday evening. It was nice to have the opportunity to try on the rugbys, admire the watches and the sunset, review the swatches, and marvel at the expansive 164 square feet (if I recall correctly) showroom/workroom/office. I appreciated the time you spent explaining proposed adjustments to me during the measurement process and as we went through the various MTM options available. Now the hard part - the waiting.

7. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

#customerserviceexcellence ;)

8. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I haven't checked the website in a while so apologies if it's been restocked and I don't know, but I would like to see formal stud/cufflink sets come back.

9. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

That's my favorite shoulder/lining combination from KW. Only situation I wouldn't use this makeup is if you're trying to bring structure to a more formal garment made from a soft cloth (e.g. a charcoal grey flannel suit). For faux tweed, it's perfect.

10. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Excellent! Pretty much what I thought. Jacket will be totally casual and tweedy without being too heavy. Heavy tweed is getting less useful here in DC as our winters get shorter and warmer. :crazy:

11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

He lives!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM

12. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

For fear of being labeled a fanboy AGAIN lol, I don't think the website itself needs changing. Points 2 and 3 fall into what I meant by a website refresher. I was pleasantly surprised in meeting with Aaron how many MTM options existed beyond the scope of what is currently listed on the site. In regards to things being restocked, that is reasonable. At least from my experience, the product I wanted was available, but was not listed on the site. Eliminating that sort of disconnect would be great.

In regards to new products, I'll continue to advocate for wool/silk squares in the current offerings, and new squares. Beyond that, expanded OTC sock selection (wool, linen, silk, etc) would be great.

13. ericgereghty

I will say I would also LOVE a free shipping option if a minimal purchase threshold is reached, or even a (very) slight price uptick to accommodate this, especially with items that are pricier to ship, like shoes and suits.

14. DSauerwald

DSauerwald Well-Known Member

As I mentioned above, I'd love to see some long-sleeve polos in an earthy palette. Dark brown, olive, taupe, tan, cream...

Aside from that, I come back to KW for the MTM tailoring. Aaron is wonderful to work with, and, as others have said said: price/quality ratio is not matched anywhere.

15. ericgereghty