Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I dont know abut having better quality/price competitors, but the criticisms of the website are very fair. There are a number of swatches and fabrics that are only available if you inquire. (also multiple MTM options that aren't listed).

2. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

"KW prices are no longer as competitive as they once were, especially for MTM suits."

I'm doing this (and struggling in the endeavor) on my phone; can we please not quibble over my choice to include the word pertinent lol?
    Like I said, when you only mention MTM in discussing pricing changes, please don't be surprised when people only address MTM.

3. SJR3

SJR3 Senior member

Thank you for acknowledging my constructive criticism and questions, and not simply being a KW fanboy (as someone else in this conversation seems to be doing). And again, the bulk of my initial observations was NOT about MTM...

4. ericgereghty

This is exactly right. Website definitely needs to be updated.

5. ericgereghty

Lol chill amigo. No need for passive aggressive sass. Your clarity regarding pricing concerns was lacking, which yielded the focus on a topic that was apparently intended as an aside.
    I did also offer a solution regarding OOS options. In lieu of a website refresher, which is no doubt needed, it seems a relatively painless option.

6. SJR3

SJR3 Senior member

My man...

Don't put words in my mouth, lol. You attributed a specific quote to me, and I did not say those words.

My issues with KW--if I had to quantify it--MTM is like 10% at best of my overall gripe. So let's just forget I even mentioned the MTM "price/quality ratio", hmm? Intended as an aside, it was not. It was intended as a portion of the whole, and I clearly expounded on that (small) portion by providing specific examples in my previous replies. Feel free to investigate further yourself.

MTM is what everyone seems to be jumping on, but let's focus on the other issues I brought up.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017 at 10:22 PM

7. ericgereghty

Christ dude. I repeated what you said in less than exact words. Stop making an issue of it.
    Since a beef with value is one of your main concerns, what do you find to be a suboptimal value proposition? As of now, you've only mentioned MTM, which, as I posited, might be why that's received the most attention.
    I already provided a potential solution to your beef with items being out of stock. Beyond that, it seems like your issues are 1) this thread not being as active 2) the blogs not featuring KW as much and 3) fewer new products. None of these are really going to engender conversation. Beyond that, customer service is not up to snuff in your experience. I've been exceedingly impressed with it, so that seems at best to be an agree to disagree scenario.

I'd genuinely be curious to read your gripes, if you're willing to more adequately discuss them. To me, the value proposition is really the only issue capable of being discussed, aside from the site needing a refresher, which nobody disagrees with.

8. SJR3

SJR3 Senior member

I'm a fan of Kent Wang. It's evident that you're a fanboy of Kent Wang.

Look, my initial post wasn't meant as blind criticism of the brand, but genuine concern for the future of a maker whose products I enjoy. I've been purchasing from KW since 2012, and to date have bought ties, pocket squares, 2 MTM suits, several polos and rugbies, and... chopsticks. As I eluded to earlier, there are several other things I've been attempting to buy for quite a while but they're out of stock.

By the way, I never mentioned anything remotely in the ballpark of the website needing a refresher. Again, you're putting words in my mouth. I happen to like KW's website. It's clean, to the point, and easy to navigate.

You said that you "provided a potential solution" to my issue with items being OOS. I'm sorry, but what exactly is that solution, other than to have these things actually be in stock? Of course I've contacted KW about these items. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I understand Kent Wang isn't an OEM and uses various suppliers. With that kind of business model, it's understandable that there will sometimes be delays restocking certain products. But I don't think any single supplier has a monopoly on anything KW sells. So when certain stuff is out of stock for almost a year, perhaps the business should be proactive in finding another supplier. When they're not, it sends a bad signal to customers. It sends the signal the the business has stopped caring and/or there are other problems at play. I don't know this for certain, but it's why I made my initial post on the matter.

Look, I believe it's bad form to specifically mention direct competitors in an affiliate thread. But since you keep on pressing the issue, I'll throw out some brands that I feel have a better value proposition than KW for various items: Dapper Classics, Suit Supply, Epaulet, Chipp, Howard Yount, Spier & Mackay (already mentioned them but it's a big one), among others. There. Happy?

But again, I stress that value proposition (be it for MTM or regular products) wasn't even my main point. I seem to see less and less excitement and postings about Kent Wang products in general, and combined with lack of new product introduction, items being seemingly indefinitely out of stock, complaints in this thread about customer service, and (what I perceive to be) a lack of participation from the man himself, makes me wonder if the brand is losing its mojo. I certainly hope not, and I'm sorry if my bringing this up makes me look like a dick. But I decided to anyway.