1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Why purchase online when you have a few places in Toronto that you can get a suit? Plus with our dollar being stupid low.

2. table21

table21 Senior member

if you have a recommendation let me know but I have seen some pretty good reviews on kent wang products and it is nice to be able to order something in your size hassle free.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

What size are you? NOt taking anything away from Kent Wang. Just figured I'd throw you an option.

I'd recommend Spier and Mackay. He has OTR and MTM suits. I have one of his MTM and I have no complaints

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

7 Rocket, it's pretty disrespectful to try to take sales away from KW in his affiliate thread. I'll also add that the quality of my Spier and Mackay trousers are nowhere near the level of my KW MTM suits. Frankly, the construction quality on those S and M trousers was not good.

1 person likes this.
  5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Def not my intention. Was just giving another option, no disrespect intended.

6. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

I've made 4 or 5 orders over the past few years (both small and large $), and I'm yet to get dinged. I'm sure my luck will run out eventually, but the fact that they use USPS rather than various couriers really helps your odds.

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

Dark green pindot six-fold tie $85

All the Canadian customers that we've heard back from have told us they have not had to pay any duty. USPS (which delivers through Canada Post) is much less aggressive than UPS/FedEx about collecting duty.

Even if you factor in shipping costs and the current exchange rate, I'm sure our suits are much better than anything comparably priced in Canada.

They're currently stuck in customs. Hopefully should be released soon. Unfortunately, this is out of our control. If you email sales@kentwang.com, we can let you know when they're back in stock.

8. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

I have both. I wear each around once a week. I like both, and feel that both offer great value, but they are very different suits.

Speaking only on off the rack clothing:

Kent's suit feels comparable to most of the suits that retail for around 2k or more off the rack in Toronto - Canali, etc. My KW suit feels better made than the Samuelsohn suit I wore yesterday. If I needed a charcoal suit, and wanted to buy a top-quality OTR suit, I would jump on that $599 deal immediately.

S&M also offers great value, but their $400 suit takes on the sub-$1200 range, instead of the $2k+ range. My S&M suit jacket feels more like my Z Zegna jacket than the E. Zegna jacket I tried on last week, and compares to Brooks Brothers (at $1097-1200 in Toronto) in terms of quality. They absolutely destroy anything else you can pick up for ~$400 locally, with maybe the exception of a Samuelsohn suit you can pick up for ~450 from the HR outlet if you go on the right sales day. Add the fact that if you wait two months you can probably pick one OTR for $350 or less, and S&M is a great option for respectable day-to-day suits. They are an especially good option for people entering a profession who need an entire wardrobe of suits and shirts now for $2k.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Love that green pindot tie. I would buy it if I didn't already have the other two...

I would like to reiterate my longstanding desire for a dark green version of the shepherd's check tie. I saw one posted in a WAYWT thread a while back, fell in love, and have never come across one. The navy shepherd's check is probably my favorite tie.

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Looking for a solid tan fabric for a summer SC, probably something like linen. Any suggestions?

TR9031 in the "Classic Spring/Summer 2015" book was a thought, but I'm really worried at the very light weight (~6.5oz). The Italian Spring/Summer book has one or two as well, but they are mostly silk, which I worry will wear very warm.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New spring/summer suit swatches:
    Italian Spring/Summer Luxury 1
    Italian Spring/Summer Luxury 2
    Italian Spring/Summer Luxury Solids
    We can now order for CMT: W. Bill, Harrisons of Edinburgh, H Lesser, Porter & Harding, Lear Browne & Dunsford directly from their agents Merino Brothers.
    Look through their website to see what you like. They may be able to send you swatches. Tell us which fabric you want and we'll order it for you. Email us and we'll let you know how much fabric you need for CMT in your size.
    Prices are quite reasonable. For W. Bill linen, it's HKD 830/yard. For a size 36 suit that I just ordered for myself (in fabric 60149), this is USD 340.20. Plus CMT charge of $730 makes it $1070.20 total.

I have 3 linen suits in this weight and they're great, and have worn them over a year. The W. Bill is 380 g / 13.5 oz. I'm actually a little hesitant about the heavy weight, but I think it's supposed to wrinkle less.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    3 people like this.
  12. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

Any plans to make replacement flat waxed laces available for purchase? I've worn through mine and the locally available laces just aren't the same.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Reaaaaaly. This is very nice. Come fall, one of those W Bill brown Donegals is going to be mine.
    OK, good to hear from someone who owns it.

14. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

I've actually run into the same issue

15. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Those are some really nice fabrics. Well done.

16. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

I sent back the swatches this past weekend. The TR9031 is a nice color, and has a nice slubby texture. It seemed to go well with a range of colors. It was one of my picks, but wanted something in more of a cream, less slub and heavier, so I went with the W.Bill. They have some great tans as well. I have some swatches I could take fotos of if you're interested.

Also, if you're at all interested in cotton, the TR9033 was a nice tan. I was considering that as well.

1 person likes this.
  17. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Excellent news on the CMT fabrics. The "basic" collection fabric is indeed quite nice for the money, but I definitely prefer the drape of heavier English cloth.

18. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Very nice, another good data point. Did the fabric feel too lightweight?

How much did the W Bill end up running you if you don't mind my asking?

19. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

The 180g linens were lightweight, but comparable to other lightweight linen jackets … thinking BB, SuitSupply. If I was buying more for a casual weekend SC, I'd definitely consider it.

I chose the W.Bill, because I'm going on a 2 week trip/cruise in the Italian & French Rivieras and wanted a suit that would hold up a bit better with a lot of wear … and could be dressed up for a semi-formal evening. I'm hoping it will fit the bill.

The price was the same as Kent quoted … around $1070.

20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Got it, very helpful. Would need to be able to wear this for work (though admittedly not for client meetings), so maybe something like the W Bill would be more appropriate.

Many thanks!