1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I agree with everything Evolve said in the post above this one, and the point of my post was to show that you don't have to get flap pockets if you want to use a navy blazer for business use, as many others were suggesting. I was trying to show that you could get either, and nobody will notice or care. For me, I like patch pockets better for a navy blazer, but the buyer here can decide on what will work best or him, he doesn't have to get flap and he doesn't have to get patch, there are no hard and fast rules in this situation (despite what some sticklers may want you to believe).

2. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I agree with the two of you although I'll add I dislike the triple patch pocket - there is a member or two here who own some where the chest pocket takes up the entire chest and I think that looks very bad.

3. aglose

aglose Senior member

Got the white linen pocket square the other day and the Egyptian Seti I Osiris. Both are amazing. Being a college student I aspire to make enough money to wear KW exclusively, but for now I will settle for the occasional PS and tie. Keep making great products and you'll have another customer for life!

4. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

My post was written from the point of view that he had zero blazers and this would be the first, therefore flap would be traditionally more appropriate. SF groupthink is that you must master the basics before evolving to other details.

so how about this approach...order two, one with flap and one with patch.

5. topos

topos Senior member

Does the groupthink also suggest there's no upper bound for an appropriate number of blue jackets? Because my closet, undoubtedly affected by such groupthink, seems to suggest it might, which means your suggested approach is sound (just get different fabrics).

6. europrep

europrep Senior member

I have 5 blue/ navy sport coats and only one is patch pocket - my most casual that is 100% cotton.

I think fabric and button choice will distinguish it as an odd jacket and be clear it is not an orphaned suit jacket.

7. erk

erk Senior member

I think this has been mentioned here before but I can't find it - Are all the handgrade line shoes of the same last?

I wore the dress boot for the first time this weekend, for 10+ hours, and they were amazingly comfortable. I've never experienced anything like it from dress shoes, after a couple hours of walking around they felt like they had molded to my feet. Generally I find dress shoes to be mildly uncomfortable, at best.

8. europrep

europrep Senior member

different last. the boots have more room in the toe box

9. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

The blazer debate has been settled long ago. A classic navy blazer should have patch side pocket (breast optional). It's not a question of use, business or not. Getting flap pockets would be a grave mistake.

10. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  11. althanis

althanis Senior member

Well there you go everyone!

My preferences are to have patch hip pockets for blazers, and flap for suits.

12. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Agreed.

Just looks right!

13. TM79

TM79 Senior member

So it is written.

14. europrep

europrep Senior member

Still disagree and don't find patch appropriate for business in most cases. That was the original question.

I like patch on a blue linen or fresco sport coat that would be worn primarily outside of business.

I'll leave it at that as we will continue to go in circles. Bottom-line is get what you are most comfortable wearing in your line of business.

3 people like this.
  15. js4design

js4design Senior member

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  16. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I think the questions to ask here are:

(a) If you adhere to style rules established "long ago"; and
    (b) Whether you actually think pocket selection on your jacket could constitute "a grave mistake".

2 people like this.
  17. LeMaitreChat

LeMaitreChat Senior member

[​IMG]

Seriously, though, are we STILL talking about this? To fridayfrenzy: Do what'll make you happy. In the end, you'll have a custom, MTM, KW garment that will fit better and be of higher quality than what 99% of your colleagues will be wearing, anyway, suppositional judgment of pocket choice notwithstanding. Can I get an amen?!

3 people like this.
  18. socaldappergent

socaldappergent Member

Think I'm going to make the leap and purchase an MTM from Kent.

The suit below is an ill-fitting OTR 38S Calvin Klein. I don't like the way the shoulders fit; I think they are too wide for my body. I'm a complete novice; do you guys think I should size down for the trial suit since Kent's sizes are R and not S?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would like to achieve the two looks below with the finished product.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. fridayfrenzy

fridayfrenzy Senior member

I did not think my "simple" question would cause the debate it did. Haha.

After learning there is really no definitive answer, I went with flap pockets. The reason being is that I am relatively a rookie and have never worn a jacket with patch pockets so went with what I know. Like some have suggested, no one will ever notice either way and for my first MTM jacket I wanted something I would be comfortable with instead of going out of my comfort zone. Patch pockets will come later down the line for sure, just not on my first one.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

^Sizing down isn't going to help you. It might be a little shorter, but it won't fit you well in other areas. You can always due Kent Wang MTM if you want a different length. I'm not sure there is anything wrong with the shoulders on that suit either. How much past your shoulder bone does the padding go? Or do you mean that you prefer a softer shoulder?

Also, that suit looks a little snug on you, so definitely don't size down.

1 person likes this.