1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Received my Kent Wang plain toe balmorals 2 weeks ago! Very pleased with the quality of the product! This is my first pair of shoe of this quality (the closest I have being Allen Edmonds) so I'm in no position to offer extensive critics of the quality or craftsmanship.

However, I find that the last is a little more aggressive than what's shown/explained on their website. Maybe it's because they must picture size 7-8 and I wear a US 11, but what they call 'classic, yet sleek, round toe last' seems a little long and a bit pointy, but maybe it's just that I'm not used to such aggressive lasts.

I'll try to snap pictures later this week if people want to see them in the wild!

2. fridayfrenzy

fridayfrenzy Senior member

If you are going with a "first-time" navy jacket for business use only, what would be appropriate style details? I will be going with navy hopsack fabric.

-2 button or 3-roll-2?
    -Pocket style?
    -Stitching?

3. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

1. Either is fine; personal preference
    2. Patch hip, welted breast
    3. Limited pick stitching

4. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

I would say it is almost certainly just you aren't used to the last, they really are a nice balance, and appropriately sleek for suiting. Low quality pic, but below is a good example.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are size 10 FWIW.

1 person likes this.
  5. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

It's funny how they appear different in your feet than when I look down on mine! Anyway, I guess you're right, I'll wear them and I'll get accustomed to the look!

I must, if one day I want to rock some St. Crispins and G&G [​IMG]

6. LeMaitreChat

LeMaitreChat Senior member

Are you asking for advice on the styling details of the jacket of a navy suit, or are you buying a blazer? If it is the latter, I think Evolve's advice is good (as is your choice of fabric), though I'd advise getting a suit if it's for "business use only."

7. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

Remember, the angle you see when you look at your shoes is different than the angle everyone else sees when they look at them. Cheers!

8. fridayfrenzy

fridayfrenzy Senior member

It is a blazer, but would only wear it in the office or for office functions. This is the first step. The suits are coming, but this would be a versatile jacket I can throw on for a special meeting or lunch.

Patch pockets? I am not adverse to patch pockets, but why patch pockets instead of flaps in this case? Do patch pockets help to not confuse it with an orphaned suit jacket?

9. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Exactly. Patch pockets also add an element if casualness while flap pockets are formal.

10. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

If you are looking for a standard issue navy blazer then I think most people would advise flap pockets.

1 person likes this.
  11. SirJamesWinston

SirJamesWinston Well-Known Member

All Wang for Easter.

[​IMG]
    KW Navy custom suit, navy pin dot tie, blue and white stripe custom shirt, and carta marina pocket square. Not pictured, navy herringbone Marcoliani (KW) wool socks and KW dark brown balmoral cap toe oxfords.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  12. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Seconded. Fridayfrenzy said this blazer is for business; patch packets are casual.

13. zhanghagn0529

zhanghagn0529 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I am a little confused about the shoulder measurement of the suit jacket. Should I measure the straight line from the seam to seam?

Thank you.

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

My KW navy blazer has patch pockets and I use it for business dress all the time. Nobody outside of SF will ever even notice this, let alone think that the patch pockets are too casual. All my suits have flap pockets so a navy blazer is the perfect article of clothing to switch it up a bit and get something different, IMO.

2 people like this.
  15. aglose

aglose Senior member

+1 on the no one will notice. SF is meticulous but the real world doesn't really care about most of the details that SF does.

16. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

I think you guys have turned the issue into a false dichotomy. Sure, patch pockets might be more casual (or less formal) than flap, but patch pockets alone don't determine the overall formality of a jacket and whether or not it's appropriate for business. Also keep in mind that the majority of people--even in a CBD setting--probably won't notice or care about pocket type; it's only us SF folk who get caught up in the details.

Edit: Beatlegeuse and aglose beat me to it.

17. europrep

europrep Senior member

+ 3 flap a definite. Save patch for 3rd or 4th sport coat in a more casual fabric

18. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I think some of you are missing the point. He's having a blazer custom-made exclusively for business use. He doesn't HAVE to hope nobody notices its casual details. He can just not get them in the first place.

19. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I agree with this mostly, but it wouldn't be that inappropriate to get flap pockets. An odd jacket with flap pockets is not wrong; a lot of good RTW makers do it. Some people also just don't like the look of patch pockets.

Yes, straight line. Not a curved line trying to follow the shoulder seam up to the collar and then back down.

20. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

For me, patch pockets on a navy blazer are more about distinguishing it from an orphaned suit jacket, rather than attempting to make it more casual. If patch pockets lower the formality by a smidgen, so be it. After all, a sport coat of any type is casual relative to a suit. I can't imagine a scenario or environment that doesn't require a suit, yet somehow a sport coat with patch pockets isn't formal enough, simply because of said pockets.

I understand the need to adhere to norms and dress codes, but at some point, you have to dress for yourself. I think that's why most of us are on this site; we enjoy clothes and appreciate the finer sartorial details. As Kent mentioned, many RTW makers do flap pockets on blazers, but to me, patch pockets seem more appropriate.

2 people like this.