1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

Well done. Look forward to pics at different angles

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Anyone who ordered the tr7124 have good pics? I want to see the texture made up as a jacket

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

The Spring 2014 fabrics have now been posted on the Suit page under the Fabrics section.

4. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

5. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

got the navy museum calf porter, great shoe, but it's a bit narrower than normal UK medium width, so quite snug on my feet.

very hard to tell the mottling on the navy museum calf.

6. europrep

^ you can't do that to us. Folks have been waiting for some good pics of the navy.

7. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  8. venividivicibj

9. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

I think it's beautiful but if you're after Standard Office Wear[​IMG] then I agree it's too pale.

10. europrep

I am considering that color and would have no problem wearing it at the office. You can pair it with conservative pieces and it would look sharp.

11. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

It's been raining the whole week, will do when the sun is out.

12. eilay

eilay Well-Known Member

Wanted to remark that Kent's customer service is exemplary... pair of cufflinks was lost in the mail and they express shipped another pair to me.

I'm looking to try Kent's MTM suit. I went through this whole thread and saw that he commented that the better fabrics were "not worth it." What does this mean? I want a very nice, soft fabric that drapes well and was originally going to go Zegna MTM, but if Kent's MTM program can solve my fit problems and good fabrics are available (SpooPoker commented that the basic fabrics felt stiffer), I don't see a reason to pay a brand premium for Zegna MTM. Thoughts?

13. venividivicibj

thats not what he said at all

he is saying just because a fabric is from the cheaper range doesn't mean its not as good as a name branded/more expensive fabric.

he did not say the more expensive fabrics weren't worth it.

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

Yeah, this sounds more accurate. He was trying to say that if you just want a basic color/pattern (navy, mid grey, etc), there's no reason to pay a premium for the higher end fabrics because the basics are just as good. The more expensive fabrics are a better choice if you're looking for a specific color or pattern that is not available in any of the basic books.

On another note, has anyone seen any of the new S/S swatch books in person yet? I'll probably request a few of them soon so I can order some new stuff. I'll try and pick up at least one or two new suits plus a SC. I haven't seen anything online that really jumped out at me yet, so I'm hoping I see something I really like once I get the books.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  15. rajesh06

rajesh06 Well-Known Member

I agree - obviously you'll have to take more care with this color, but you should be able to pull it off.

16. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Kent changed the measurements of his polos? I received a white one for Christmas and am wearing it today for the first time. It feels much tighter through the chest, shoulders and arms than the others I have (all size medium). Also, the fabric seems to be of lesser quality. I'm a bit disappointed as my navy polo is probably my most worn warm weather shirt.

17. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Well-Known Member

Can't comment as to sizing but I am / was pretty disappointed with my white one. It is pretty thin and transparent, especially in the sun.I don't wear it very often due to having to wear an undershirt with it (defeats the purpose of a polo).

18. Ironist

Just got my pair of Suttons / handgrade loafers today!

First impression:

Fit
    Sized down to 6.5 from 7 for these as I was slightly loose in the Matthews. Shoes fit perfectly! Definitely wider than the Claytons. Toe box had ample width even though I sized down which is usually my problem.

Style
    It isn't as sleek as the other lasts but it is pretty sleek for a loafer. It's not chunky like most loafers and I like the shape and chisel toe. Again, the toe shape is wider than all the other lasts.

Color
    I honestly couldn't tell this was Museum Calf at first. Even though they are the same color, while indoors, they looked slightly different from my brown Porters. The museum effect was more subdued and it seemed darker. Not so much like the site but more like the photo of the loafer posted back when the handgrade line first started. This could be a difference in batch. However, they started to look more like the photos when taken in the shade outdoors as seen from the photos below. Also, the light edge trim is definitely a stark contrast to the darker leather. It's nice if that's what you are looking for and it reminds me of the Alden Indy's. I was wearing jeans today and I have to say, these pair nicely with them. They'd also go nicely with chinos.

Construction
    Unfortunately no fiddleback waist with this one but it's a loafer and I expected that. The channeled sole with beveled waist are still very nice. A lot better than the C&J Sydney which is a big part of why I bought these instead.

Overall
    Definitely well worth the $450. I really feel like these shoes don't get praised enough in comparison to the hype other brands like Meermin get. I have read quite a few disparaging comments on the museum calf and although I don't have any other basis for comparison, they look pretty good to me. Also, out of the four shoes I purchased from KW, none of them had the kind of defects present in some of the Meermin posts and I am very happy with the quality and craftsmanship. It would just be nice if they had more models / colors to choose from.

Oh, and the shoe trees are very nice too. Fit all my handgrades perfectly. Well worth the extra $20-30 over normal shoe trees.

Photos

I apologize for the background and camera phone quality, just wanted to find a place with decent shade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Dark brown suede sneakers $125
    Same suede as on our chukka boot
    We're now offering the option of shipping sneakers without the shoebox for a $5 discount. This is part of our continuing quest to minimize packaging and reduce our impact on the environment.
    We haven't changed measurements or fabric. Perhaps this one was cut defectively. Email us as sales@kentwang.com and we'll send you a new shirt and figure out what the issue is. We'll take care of you.

Exactly.

2 people like this.
  20. Ironist

Nice Kent, I just noticed you changed the color of the Chukka photos! Very nice, love the shade and getting some as soon as my size comes in.