Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Well, all my negativity and I wanted to say a positive.

http://www.kentwang.com/shoes/handgrade-brogue.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are GORGEOUS.

Going to echo Betels comment.. Anyone know how to size these? 10.5UK in Carmina Simpson and 10.5UK in EG 888. My US size is between 11 and 11.5.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

They are gorgeous. Wish they came in wide sizes.

3. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Those shoes definitely just replaced some Carminas I was looking at for a purchase down the road. Added them to the spreadsheet.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The more I look at them, they more jealous I get. Those look fantastic. Goddamn wide feet.

5. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Haha, nice you started a spreadsheet too? Mine has helped me stay on track with purchases.

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Spreadsheets FTW :fistbump:

It's the only way I actually keep myself buying the things I need, rather than a million cool pocket squares or whatever. Also lets me plan a formal clothing budget so the wife doesn't murder me.

7. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I'm catching up on this label chatter. Are some of you referring to having a label for the cloth? Something like this:
    [​IMG]

mrjester , you said you'd like to have a label when you spend $600 on something. I thought you meant the cloth label to confirm what you're actually buying, which I could see making sense.

8. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Yep. Mine is different than yours I think, Betel Beatle. At least the format. I just have a numbering system and number them all 1-9. Obviously the needs are higher, like a damn pair of grey pants and some shirts. I haven't fancied it all up yet. Plus, I have too much on there. I'm not only using it as a system but I scan over it to see, "Seriously? I've got eight of the same looking blue shirts here?" and I can delete the ones I don't need.

I had some Carmina semibrogues on there at a level 4. But I put the KW semibrogues on there at a 6 and deleted the Carminas. They may have to jump to 7. I have a burgundy punchcap and burgundy adelaide. But no plain brown captoe.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

9. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Cloth and KW is preferable. Cloth is fine. KW is fine. But now that you mention it, the cloth label would be preferable I think.

I know, "It's a label and nobody sees it." But this is SF and we're all meant to fuss over the tiny things.

10. sftiger

sftiger Senior member

This is the kind of label I'm talking about. Something to make it seem more personalized for the customer:

[​IMG]

11. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I could work with that too.

Really, any one of these is better than nothing. Personalized, fabric display, KW, maybe just a huge W that's like 2"x2", etc.

12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Got an email from Kent, my mid grey suit should be arriving within the next few days. I really don't feel too strongly about labels one way or the other. If they put some in there, that's great. If not, I probably won't miss it.

13. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Makes sense. Seems that I jumped the gun on the anti-branding theory. It was mainly based off of his watch, which touts no name as a feature.

I think the resale point is valid, and in a few years it would be nice to know who made the fabric on which suit. Both could be accomplished via hidden tag, like your example. I do like having my name somewhere on the suit when it has been custom made.

14. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

+1 to these comments. People thought it was silly when I complained that my lapels were .25" too thin a couple weeks ago. But dang, complaining about the lack of a label to the extent that you would consider not purchasing a KW suit the future? That's just downright absurd, IMO.

As others have expressed, I think it's a plus that KW jackets are label-less. KW isn't a "name" brand and doesn't aspire to be. Even the cheapest mall brand jackets have a label. To me, a jacket sans a label indicates it's custom made. And besides, as we all know, KW isn't even the manufacturer of the suits, he's merely the mediator of the sale. Jester, I know you buy Hober ties, as do I. I know of several Hober customers who specifically ask to have the label left off. Vanda Fine Clothing doesn't add a label to their ties, either. The selling point of all these brands is the quality of the product, not the name on the label.

Anyway, to each his own. :)

15. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

To be fair, you quoted Scatter right after he changed his pace.

Other vendors using the same manufacturer have a fabric label and a name label. Both are idea for long-term future use.

I will admit, through out this debate, I have changed to liking the idea of a fabric label more than the KW label. But I am not opposed to both. Or a custom label.

Sure people request Hober ties without a label. But I'm willing to bet they're the minority. Bad example.