• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well.. for inquiring minds, I played around with my shirt and decided to tighten the cuffs so that they stay higher on my arm, hitting just below (barely below) the first knuckle on the thumb. The jacket then could be extended about 1cm on the sleeve. Possibly more but for the suit, this will be fine. And the armpits could go up 1cm (maybe even 1.5 but I'll stick with 1cm for now). The sleeves could be tightened 1 to 1.5cm, waiting for Kent to help me on that.

Trial pants are on the way. After that, going with a conservative navy suit. All default options I think. Except limited pick stitching.

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well.. for inquiring minds, I played around with my shirt and decided to tighten the cuffs so that they stay higher on my arm, hitting just below (barely below) the first knuckle on the thumb. The jacket then could be extended about 1cm on the sleeve. Possibly more but for the suit, this will be fine. And the armpits could go up 1cm (maybe even 1.5 but I'll stick with 1cm for now). The sleeves could be tightened 1 to 1.5cm, waiting for Kent to help me on that.

Trial pants are on the way. After that, going with a conservative navy suit. All default options I think. Except limited pick stitching.

Are you saying you want to lengthen your jacket sleeves? :uhoh:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you want to lengthen your jacket sleeves?
uhoh.gif
I know, totally opposite of what you said. But, look at the two pictures in the spoiler.

The top is another SF member and I got the picture from the Good Taste thread. I admire his jacket fit, the sleeves especially. The bottom is mine. I pinned the sleeve to be a little tighter (not too tight though) and my arm is now fully relaxed and straight down. You don't think it can use a little lengthening to be somewhat like where I'd desire it to be? Vox has an awesome style but not exactly what I wanted. I know it won't show much cuff but that's ok. I only want maybe 1cm of cuff.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The top is another SF member and I got the picture from the Good Taste thread. I admire his jacket fit, the sleeves especially. The bottom is mine. I pinned the sleeve to be a little tighter (not too tight though) and my arm is now fully relaxed and straight down. You don't think it can use a little lengthening to be somewhat like where I'd desire it to be? Vox has an awesome style but not exactly what I wanted. I know it won't show much cuff but that's ok. I only want maybe 1cm of cuff.
Weird.. your jacket sleeves look quite a bit shorter in this pic than in the first one you posted in reply 2234. Based on this newest photo, I'd say you can indeed stand to lengthen the jacket sleeves by about 0.5 or 1cm. Either way, it's a great looking jacket!

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. As I said, Kent suggested the measurements off of pictures I gave him with bad pictures based on bad shirts and a bad idea of where shirt sleeves should fit in my pictures. The tailor I go to (there's not many good ones in Phoenix, if any) said she basically won't extend the sleeves because it'd look weird due to button distance and she may not have enough fabric. I'll probably take it somewhere else. I bet if they tried from the shoulders and the sleeves, they could find enough fabric. I'd be willing to pay both prices (lengthen from shoulders + lengthen from sleeves).

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your two photos are completely different. One makes it look much too long, especially that your arm is bent (unless maybe your arm was bent within the sleeve and it was actually bringing the jacket sleeve up at all), while the new one makes it look too short. You need to find how your jacket properly sits to make the proper assessment.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right. And as I had mentioned, a big part of it was I was trying to make the shirt and the jacket look good instead of just letting it be. The shirts are FAR too long, which I'm having new ones in in about a week. The jacket was helped by the bending of the arms, I think. you said it'd make it look longer, but not the way they were bent. I'll post new pictures soon enough. But I know it does need to be lengthened.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wore a lot of Wang yesterday.....navy MTM suit, brown cashmere tie, dark brown captoes. I don't know why it's bunching weirdly at the buttoning point, probably when I raised my arm to take the pic it bunched up a bit. It usually looks much cleaner if I'm standing normally.

Suit deets - fabric TR7089, wide lapels, 3-roll-2, soft shoulders, minimal pick stitching, black horn buttons, ticket pocket, button fly, 2" cuffs. I think the rest of the details are standard. I really love this fabric, it looks like a pretty standard navy indoors, but when the sun hits it outside, it really pops.

This picture of fabric 7089 looks significantly lighter than a traditional navy suit and the next shade darker in the swatches for navy (7003) looks almost midnight. Does anyone have any pictures of either 7089 or 7003 that they can share? Looking to get a solid navy suit for work.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The photos are almost useless for judging the differences between such a narrow band of colors. Lighting and cameras vary wildly, far more than the difference between the fabrics. Even our studio photos are not that useful other than to show the fabrics relative to each other.

7002 - Black

7004 - Midnight blue. Looks like black, though if compared side-by-side under indoor lighting it actually makes black look very slightly yellow, hence why midnight blue is often described as blacker than black. Under intense studio lighting it may look blue.

7003 - Navy. This is what I recommend to most people.

7089 - Navy, almost indistinguishable from 7003 in indoor lighting, but appears like a dark blue in sunlight. Should be suitable for a law firm or even courtroom. May be inappropriate for an outdoor funeral.

7087 - Dark blue

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This picture of fabric 7089 looks significantly lighter than a traditional navy suit and the next shade darker in the swatches for navy (7003) looks almost midnight.  Does anyone have any pictures of either 7089 or 7003 that they can share?  Looking to get a solid navy suit for work.

Definitely listen to what Kent said above. My pics were taken with my iPhone, one pic indoors with artificial light and the other outdoors in bright direct sunlight. So, they won't give the most accurate representations of the color. I do agree with the outdoor funeral remark - 7089 looks solid navy indoors but does seem to brighten up a bit when in the sun, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much....gives it a little something extra to stand out from a standard navy. If you want a basic-as-can-be navy, go with the 7003.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The photos are almost useless for judging the differences between such a narrow band of colors. Lighting and cameras vary wildly, far more than the difference between the fabrics. Even our studio photos are not that useful other than to show the fabrics relative to each other.

7002 - Black

7004 - Midnight blue. Looks like black, though if compared side-by-side under indoor lighting it actually makes black look very slightly yellow, hence why midnight blue is often described as blacker than black. Under intense studio lighting it may look blue.

7003 - Navy. This is what I recommend to most people.

7089 - Navy, almost indistinguishable from 7003 in indoor lighting, but appears like a dark blue in sunlight. Should be suitable for a law firm or even courtroom. May be inappropriate for an outdoor funeral.

7087 - Dark blue

Definitely listen to what Kent said above. My pics were taken with my iPhone, one pic indoors with artificial light and the other outdoors in bright direct sunlight. So, they won't give the most accurate representations of the color. I do agree with the outdoor funeral remark - 7089 looks solid navy indoors but does seem to brighten up a bit when in the sun, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much....gives it a little something extra to stand out from a standard navy. If you want a basic-as-can-be navy, go with the 7003.

Thanks for the help.

ScootManSam

Reaction score
I think the bigger issue is the shirt sleeve length. I'd definitely wait until you get your new shirts before making a call on the jacket alterations.

Xtra

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting some of the KW polos for spring/summer and I'm a bit unsure of what size to go for.

I can relate it to the PRL custom fit polos I've got. M here is too slim, L is a quite relaxed fit. Do you think I should get L or XL? As Kent writes that their polos are "much" slimmer than polo custom fit, do you think that is accurate? Meaning L or XL?

Last edited:

radchad3

Reaction score

Here is the trial suit from KW. Was thinking the sleeves are a bit too long. A little small in the chest area. Would like to figure out what is going on in the arm pits. Shorten the collar. Not sure on the waist or button stance. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Last edited:

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting some of the KW polos for spring/summer and I'm a bit unsure of what size to go for.

I can relate it to the PRL custom fit polos I've got. M here is too slim, L is a quite relaxed fit. Do you think I should get L or XL? As Kent writes that their polos are "much" slimmer than polo custom fit, do you think that is accurate? Meaning L or XL?

I'd go for size L. Kent's polos are indeed slimmer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads