1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

I need a new suit for a couple of wedding events in Nov...

while I already purchased a BB Regent Navy suit which I can still return and just waiting to be altered until Oct, I definitely need to give KW's MTM program some serious consideration. Most of my concerns are the horror stories of ill fitting results (not from KW) but at the same time reading all the success stories on this thread. I am afraid that I can/will potentially botch my measurements and thus a disaster, and sometimes I just don't have the patience dealing with the back and forth communication.

I guess the only way to get this over is to dive in and hope for the best. SF gents, please bear with me if I start posting bunch of questions (and to Kent as well) and I will appreciate any assistance during this process.

Any recommendation for a basic Navy fabric, from the A & B range? Most of the Navy I have seen are a little too dark and looking for something in between Navy and Blue. Or should I just request swatches together with the trial Suit?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

You have nothing to fear with Kent's MTM program. This isn't like Indochino, where you just plug a bunch of measurements in and hope for the best. The best part of his whole process is the trial suit - you'll get a feel for how your finished suit will fit right off the bat. If the trial suit is awful, return it and try another size. Once you find a size that fits reasonably well, make sure you take accurate, natural light pics and send those to Kent. He has a very good eye and will make some solid suggestions.

For a navy suit fabric, I love the one I picked for my first suit (TR7089). It looks like a pretty standard navy indoors, but the color really pops outside when the sun hits it. It's still relatively conservative, but there's just enough flash, for lack if a better word, to set it apart from all the other navy suits out there.

1 person likes this.
  3. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Agree with this.

4. omgitswes

omgitswes Senior member

Glad the Dendera zodiac pocket square is back in stock. Just order one :)

5. Beatlegeuse

What's the better buy....can't decide between black knit or black grenadine. I probably wouldn't wear either of them very often, but it would be nice to have at least one black tie on hand incase I ever need one.

6. topos

topos Senior member

I'd buy the black knit (well, I already have). I wear mine quite a bit, and I don't think I'd say the same for a black grenadine, but maybe only because I only wear odd jackets to work, never a suit. But if you don't think you'd wear either very often, why buy it at all?

7. Beatlegeuse

Just incase, kinda like buying a black pair of shoes. Although, every time I buy black shoes I either end up returning them or selling them. So, maybe I need to re-think this whole thing. In theory it makes sense to have at least one black tie. Although if I follow the same trend as I have been doing for black shoes, I'll either end up returning it or selling it.

8. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:Go with the grenadine. I can't think of many reasons why you would NEED to wear a black knit tie with an odd jacket combination (the only time I would probably ever wear a black knit), while I can think of many times where a black grenadine would be good to wear with a suit. Funerals come to mind. It could also work for weddings I suppose. Both call for suits.

9. topos

topos Senior member

I think the point of the black knit isn't that there are specific occasions where one needs to wear it, or where it is the best possible choice, but rather that it suits all occasions rather well.

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I'd personally go knit. Black knit goes with damn near everything, I wear mine all the time. Of course, I don't have a black grenadine to compare with, so...

11. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I'm in the anti-black knit camp. To other's points, you mostly likely would wear black to a funeral or a wedding. To me, knit ties are for warmer weather, for less casual situations (a viewpoint largely fueled by wear I work). Funerals are somber occasions, so knit just seems inappropriate. Weddings can be formal, so knits are again inappropriate, unless it is a summer evening outdoor, then maybe, but in that case you may not be wearing black. Dunno, just some thoughts.

FWIW, I own a woven black tie, purchased in 2007. It has been worn exactly once.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  12. Beatlegeuse

Yeah I'm starting to think I shouldn't bother getting either now. No matter which one I get it would probably be the last tie I reach for in any given occasion, just like all the black shoes I never kept.

13. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

1 person likes this.
  14. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

I have a black knit tie, and personally I find I wear it a lot. It's a safe choice that works well with just about everything, although I agree that I wouldn't consider it appropriate of a somber occasion such as a funeral. I'd go with a Grenadine for that.

If you already have a navy knit or grenadine, however, that's equally versatile. In general, I'll reach for a dark tie before a light one, every time.

(Also, Kent's knits are fantastic :) )

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

My comment about the black knit tie has nothing to do with whether or not I like them or how versatile they are. It had to do with the poster's comment about "owning a black tie in case I need it." While black knit ties can be very nice, I can't think of a situation where you NEED to wear one. If someone WANTS to wear a black tie, then I think knit vs. grenadine is a matter of how casual/formally you dress.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  16. topos

topos Senior member

Of course. I just dislike the idea of owning a tie only for "just in case" scenarios, hence the attempt to change the conversation.

17. topos

topos Senior member

I don't see why a black knit is wrong for a somber occasion. The primary thing that will stand out is its color, not its construction.

18. Beatlegeuse

Exactly, after thinking it over more I probably don't really need either, so I most likely won't get the knit or grenadine. But the convo here helped me come to the decision.

Sometimes it's best to just get my thought out in the open, because if I just internalized the conversation, there's a chance I may have bought it and it would have sat in the back of my closet. I do have a navy grenadine and several other pretty versatile ties, and more often than not I would see myself reaching for those as opposed to a black tie, be it knit or grenadine. This is one of the few times I get to thank SF for helping me NOT make a purchase.

19. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Why does it matter? You're getting that Panta and you won't be wearing another tie for at least a month. You have time to think it over.

20. Beatlegeuse

Exactly :)

1 person likes this.