1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Hey Shinrouen...which lookbook has #7022? I can't seem to find it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

Shinrouen, what options did you choose? Standard lapel, what shoulders?

3. Shinrouen

Shinrouen Member

I've got to pick up a few dress shirts before the next suit purchase but has anyone gone with a navy glen plaid?

CousinDonuts: It was actually #7122, my apologies.
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8230/8570682271_5e1c8b7d42_o.jpg.

With your two side by side photos a few pages back, did suit #1 have a different shoulder option from suit #2?

Hookem:

Front: 2 button, notch lapel
    Structure: Standard
    Lining: Half ($20)

Lining fabric: Navy

Piping: Royal blue
    Lapel size: Standard 3.5"
    Shoulder: Standard
    Flap size: Standard 2"
    Chest pocket: Welted
    Vents: Double (side)
    Sleeve buttons: 4
    Sleeve buttons overlap: Yes
    Cuff finishing: Working buttonholes
    Throat tab: No
    Phone pocket: No
    Pick stitching: Limited

Buttons: Horn dark brown

4. CousinDonuts

With your two side by side photos a few pages back, did suit #1 have a different shoulder option from suit #2?

[/quote]

The blue suit has soft shoulders, the grey pinstripe has standard.

5. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

If no one has an answer by later, no biggie, I can search. But is there a go to, basic mid-grey default by consensus in this thread? Picking out a fabric for a new suit.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Unless I'm mistaken, I think everyone has gone with the mid-grey from the basic fabrics list. What's interesting to me is how different it looks in the various pictures.

7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I'd recommend 102701. Slightly more expensive than the basic fabric, but it's pretty perfect IMO. Mine should be almost ready from my tailor. I'll post some pics up once I get it back. I think a lot of other people here have suits from the same fabric as well.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Thought everyone was ordering the same one. Didn't realize it was an upgraded fabric.

9. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Yep, I've got a suit in 102701 as well and also would recommend it for a mid gray. That pic of 7122 above looks pretty nice though. Compared to 102701, it looks slightly darker, and is a pick-and-pick (as opposed to twill).

10. CousinDonuts

Could also consider 7086 from the Basics 1 book, AR0002 and 0001 from Ariston 1, AR0018 from Ariston 2, 4217 from S/S 2.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  11. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Kent Wang you should really do something about your international shipping prices. Me personally know 3 that didn't buy from you because of that.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  12. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

I always found Kent's international shipping costs to be quite low, at least when choosing the First Class option....

btw - received a few pocket squares yesterday - the Unicorn print is awesome...
    and I didn't realise that the Lindisfarne Gospels also had figures of animals incorporated in the celtic patterns, very cool :happy:

Thanks again Kent :)

13. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

I've always found his international shipping to be really reasonable

14. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

So I took a pair of trousers to the tailor to have the fabric tape sewn in... never thought I'd be unhappy with the outcome. I guess it was just a result of shoddy workmanship, but the bottom edge of the hem now has a slightly wavy appearance instead of a crisp straight line. It's as if the tape was pulled too tight in some areas, too loose in others. Furthermore, the cuffs were sewn all the way around, instead of just tacked at the front and back creases like normal.

Does anyone know if this can be undone? Can the tape be removed and the cuffs returned to normal?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That's unfortunate. I've never had problems having this altered at the variety of little known tailors and dry cleaners I've been to. It really shouldn't be difficult.

16. ZirconiumZephyr

ZirconiumZephyr Well-Known Member

agreed with the above opinions. International shipping is pretty reasonable. Bit dearer for shoes but that is to be expected.

17. razl

razl Senior member

Not to sound snarky, but you should take this up with the tailor who botched it. I say that because, since you're in uncharted "wtf did they do?" territory, it's hard to give a prediction on what can/can't be accomplished. I'd say if it was done properly to begin with it can be carefully undone - but if it has been done poorly and/or monkeyed things up enough, maybe not.

18. astrocyte

astrocyte Well-Known Member

I feel like the story I am about to tell has been told many times before on this thread, but I wanted to add my experience in order to keep the positive word of mouth coming.

I took my first KW MTM to the tailor today (KW did a good job of advising me on fit but, as expected for the first iteration, a few things need to be cleaned up). Basically, the guy was gushing about the quality and when I told him the price, his jaw practically hit the floor. This particular tailor offers MTM starting at $1600. He had not heard of KW before, but said he will definitely be recommending him to anyone who comes in looking for that style of suit but who isn't ready to cough up over double the price. I will certainly be making another order once I see how this one turns out.

1 person likes this.
  19. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

^ good luck with the first suit, and I'm sure you will be back for many more in the future!

Now that I have 2 staple KW suits - solid navy and mid grey - I've been talking to Kent about my next order, which is going to be a navy blazer (most likely this navy hopsack). This is a little pricey - an E level fabric - but if you're going to get a fully canvassed MTM navy blazer that hopefully will be worn for the next 15 years, might as well go all out.

Next up after that will be a third suit in a more interesting fabric, like a grey glen plaid, and then most likely a brown SC, like a tasteful houndstooth or guncheck. After that I'll have a really nice solid base of some staple items, and it will probably be a while before I really need to order anything new. It will probably be "wants" rather than "needs," like a linen suit and some louder SCs.

He's sending me a bunch of swatch books so hopefully I can make some decisions based on those swatches. Here's to another $2,000 going to KW over the next couple months as I get these three items made!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  20. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

thats a great line up and similar to the things i am planning to make up.