Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Good-looking suit, right there.

2. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

The curse of square shoulders!

3. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

MTM KW Shirt. I tried on the 15.75" stock shirt. Shoulders, neck and chest I left alone.

Things I changed:

Brought in waist 1"
    Brought in hips .5"
    Sleeve length +1"
    Elbow width +.25" (Sleeve was a little tight)
    Shirt length +.5"
    Collar band .25" higher
    Collar points .5" longer

Please give me your honest opinions. I think it's definitely wearable, but could fit better. A friend of mine tailors for free, so I can have him bring my shirt without a problem. I just want to dial this in because I know I want to get more KW shirts.

[​IMG]

4. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I'm am about to jump on board the Kent Wang polo bandwagon. Scrolling this thread I am a bit at a loss on whether a M or L would work best for me.

My measurements:

Chest - 39"
    Waist - 32"

I also have larger traps and muscular shoulders. 5'9", 160lbs.

Thank you in advance to anyone that weighs in.

5. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Overall, not a bad looking shirt at all. I'd be happy with that fit, which I would describe as clean and trim: not too tight, not too baggy. But since you asked for feedback, I'll give you my non-expert, nitpicky opinions: - Perhaps you could have left the collar measurements alone. I like fairly long collar points and a nice roll on button-down collars, but that strikes me as a tad on the extreme side. That's purely subjective though, so maybe you're happy with it as is. - A little bit narrower in the chest might eliminate some of the wrinkling seen in the photo. Then again, that is partly subjective as well, and maybe you prefer a slightly fuller chest, as I do. Of course, assuming it hasn't been washed yet (looks like the packaging folds are still present), it may shrink up a bit and make for a cleaner fit. That's pretty much it. Again, those are nitpicky opinions only, as there is nothing overtly wrong with the fit to my eye, and a lot of it is preference anyhow.

6. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Keep trimming the hips and waist. It took me several iterations with a different provider before it clicked in my mind that you can really slim down those measurements to really make it fitted. That is, if you want to go for no blouse-i-ness at all. As your picture shows, there is still enough fabric to really pull ou at the waist.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

7. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Thank you for the honest feedback!

I personally love the collar. I think it's my favorite part of the whole shirt. I'm 6'2" and a short collar doesn't look right on me. I agree this is subjective though and shorter collars are trending right now. I guess the question is: If I hadn't have said anything about the collar, would you even have noticed?

I agree with you about the chest, and you're correct, it has not been washed yet. For the first iteration of this shirt, this is very, VERY close. I am happy with it.

Thank you again for the feedback.

8. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I really don't like pointed tip knit ties. I love the playful look of the flat bottom.

9. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

No problem! And don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the trendy short collars, either. I've been mostly happy with my Lands' End Hyde Park OCBD collars, which strike me as classically proportioned and a nice middle ground. The points measure 2 7/8 inches and provide a nice roll. The more I look at yours though, the more I like the longer points. What do they measure?

I'm the other way around: I dislike the look of flat bottom knit ties, which is why when I eventually get around to adding knits to my collection, I'll buy from KW. Plus, the pointed tips are more unique and generally a mark of more higher-end ties, as I understand the process of knitting a triangle is more difficult and time consuming vs. flat bottom.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

10. Wade

Wade Senior member

Nice collar curl.

My stock KW shirt has no curl at all

11. Beav

Beav Senior member

I'm a tiny it smaller in the chest at 38", 5'9", 165lbs, and I'm happy with the large, it fits slim but not tight.

12. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I personally only wear point end, which is why I make them. They certainly cost more to produce than square end, though I don't pass the costs on to the customer. I'm subsidizing point end wearers all over the world. We are a movement.

I think it's too long. Maybe you can try 0.25" shorter next time.

Try sitting down first.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pointed > flat any day all day.

Can anybody speak to the density of KW's knits vs HY?

14. Moloch38

Moloch38 Senior member

Looks great! Agree on the waist length recs, but still a great looking suit.

15. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

I broke my Wang today. I was pulling KW cufflinks on and one of the pair just snapped, the link came right off the base. These were just a few months old, with little wear. Let's see if the firm's lifetime guarantee holds up.