1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

When I measure my lapels from the suit jacket in the above pic, they are exactly 4.5 inches, measured along the seam to the lapel point. And my suit is a modified 40L. I added a tiny bit to the shoulders and the chest compared to the trial jacket - I think the chest is maybe 21 or 21.5 inches measured across the front when laid flat. And the shoulders are roughly 19 inches across the back. I'll probably reduce the shoulder by maybe 1cm on my next order. Mostly everything else about the jacket I'll leave the same.

2. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

You know you're down in it thick when you're talking about the relative merits of a quarter inch of fabric. Don't blow up the site.:slayer:

3. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Quarter inch is a lot when it's framing your face and 1/15th to 1/18th of the total width of. The lapel.

Either way, it does look good. Hopefully the next one is what you want.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that Kent probably has days where he thinks how much simpler his business would be if he were not a SF affiliate. I have a balance issue on the KW suit I just received that will need to be addessed in future suits, but how many people outside this forum obsess over such minor details?

The focus for the lapels should be on their proportionality to your frame, not your face. I have the same size jacket from KW and we're talking about a point to point of roughly 18.75 inches with a total difference of 0.5 inches of lapel (0.25 on each side). We're talking about minutiae that is roughly 2.67% of the point to point.

5. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Good point. Now that you mention that, I feel like I kind of knew that. The collar of the shirt has more to do with your face and the lapels are to your frame. Thanks. And I know what you mean on subtle details nobody would know. Most of what anyone on here has issues with doesn't ever get noticed by non-SF people. But its one of those things where once you notice it yourself, you can't ever un-notice it.

6. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

here's a close up pic of the side adjusters on my KW suit trousers:

[​IMG]

7. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

Heh, yes, I know I'm obsessing over something rather trivial in the grand scheme of things, but that's what this site is for, right? :D Like I said though, the lapel width issue is by no means a deal killer for me; I'm still very happy with the suit. But when others started mentioning that my "wide" lapels didn't look all that wide--and I was already thinking the same thing--that's when I broke out the measuring tape. Sure, a quarter inch doesn't sound like much. But when it's a quarter inch on each side tapering down to a point roughly 14 inches away, that's a lot of fabric, volume wise. Consider it another way: a quarter inch on each side means that the "spread" of the lapels, if you will, is a half inch less than what it should be, arguably not insignificant to the overall appearance of the lapels and jacket. Just look at Beatlegeuse's lapels compared to mine; surely the difference in jacket size alone is not responsible for the drastic difference in the overall look of our lapels.

Anyway, the suit goes to the tailor today for the very minor adjustments I mentioned earlier: sleeves 1/4 inch shorter, trousers taken-in slightly in the seat/thigh, and hemmed (with a 1.75 inch cuff). Looking forward to giving the suit its first proper wearing. :slayer:

P.S. I've been told I have an eye for detail. I think this discussion proves that's not always a good thing. :laugh: Carry on, gentlemen.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  8. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I don't think it is that off. Most mediums correspond to a 38-40" chest.

9. ScootManSam

ScootManSam Well-Known Member

I just received my first two polos (pink and light blue) in size M. I'm 6'2" 160 lbs and normally wear a 38 or 39. The fit is perfect through the chest and torso. The length is also perfect for me to wear tucked or untucked. I also tried on the large and thought it was a little too long to wear untucked, so I can see how the L would be a little long for you at 6'. The best thing to do if you're unsure is to order in both sizes and send one back, although it sounds like the M will be a bit snug on you through the torso. The shoulders could be an inch wider or so, but overall the fit is better than any other OTR polos I've come across. I agree that the texture and buttons are awesome. I especially love the spread collar, which is a subtle distinguishing detail that adds some visual interest to an otherwise ubiquitous shirt (the polo).

[​IMG]

10. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

Can anyone compare the sizing of the white sneakers with other high end sneakers like Bally or Common Projects something? Thanks in advance.

Also, when do those expanded sizes drop?

11. rohde88

rohde88 Well-Known Member

Not sure how you can compromise so much. Either its short and only stays in when standing, but untucks upon seating OR its long enough to tuck in and stay tucked in.

I wear an L and its pure untuck for me.

12. Samir

Samir Well-Known Member

I ordered a pair of the sneakers and returned them. The leather lining was pretty comfortable, but I didn't like the profile and thought the vulcanized sole and leather upper looked kinda cheap. I've never owned a pair of Common Projects but having handled them in stores, they look sleeker and the outside materials seem higher in quality.

That said, others may completely disagree and any differences probably can't be seen from afar. If you're looking for some basic white shoes, these are essentially the leather equivalent of Supergas, imo.

On a different note, two questions:
    1. The benchgrade balmoral - would y'all do the medium or dark brown? Am I right in thinking the dark brown is more flexible? Also, does industry standard sizing = Brannock?
    2. Is it possible to order ties in a shorter length? Like 54-55", if it's final sale?

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  13. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Any ETA on polo restocks? I know the Navy says end of this week, but what about the light blue or the dark green?

14. Moloch38

Moloch38 Well-Known Member

Looking at the bench grade balmorals. I am a 8uk in the Carmina 922 Rain last, will a 9us work?

15. ScootManSam

ScootManSam Well-Known Member

The sweet spot for me is when the hem hits right in the middle of my fly. Looks great untucked casually and I've already worn them to work several times and have had no problem with them coming untucked.

16. elstinnett

elstinnett Well-Known Member

Let's get some better pictures! This fabric is on my short list for my next KW. Trying to decide between a couple of mid-gray options and a few navy pinstripe fabrics.

17. omgitswes

omgitswes Well-Known Member

I wish a deal like the one on urbandaddy a while back would come up again. I want a few pocket squares and polos

18. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

Kents items are on deal everyday.

1 person likes this.
  19. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

The suit is at the tailor right now for the minor adjustments I mentioned previously, but I will definitely get some better pictures soon. Al in Philly posted a pic of his jacket in the same fabric a while back:

[​IMG]

Looks like that pic was taken in bright/natural lighting conditions. Elstinnett, just curious, which mid-gray options are you deciding between?

20. elstinnett

elstinnett Well-Known Member

Al in Philly is the one who originally suggested 102701. I'm fairly certain that it is the fabric I'm going with for this suit. I also ordered 101037, but I think it is darker than I'm going for. The fabric you and Al in Philly selected really is a nearly perfect mid-gray.