• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AceBoogie

Reaction score
Quick question: Should i go same size as barrie last for the shoes or go half size up?

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think that'll look good. You could sewn on the buttons yourself and post a photo.

I wasn't thinking of a cutaway button down. More of a regular buttondown like this from Barba. I think it would look very good.

pleco

Reaction score
So I'm going to an evening event soon. I was planning on a navy birdseye suit and white shirt. I'd like to get a new tie to match this combo and am liking the idea of a grenadine:
http://www.kentwang.com/grenadine-steel-blue.html Do you think this would be a good match? I think it has silver and blues to it, which would compliment the navy quite nicely. What do you guys think? Also I'm 5'10 and 155lbs at 36R so was going to go with 3". Good call?

Other choices that I like in order of preference:
Silver
Burgandy
Purple
Black

Last edited:

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually you would want a contrasting shade if you're wearing the same color of suit & tie. Keep that in mind when you calibrate the colors!

pleco

Reaction score
Usually you would want a contrasting shade if you're wearing the same color of suit & tie. Keep that in mind when you calibrate the colors!

Do you think the steel blue would contrast well? I would have picked silver first but I think in actuality out of these to KW ties, the steel blue looks the best, just hard to visualise it next to navy...

Edit: So I got bored and started playing on photoshop. Shopping the ties onto this colour combination made silver come out on top!

Last edited:

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can bid on any pair of my benchgrade shoes at the Style Forum Annual Holiday Drive for the Ronald McDonald House Charities.
So I'm going to an evening event soon. I was planning on a navy birdseye suit and white shirt. I'd like to get a new tie to match this combo and am liking the idea of a grenadine:
http://www.kentwang.com/grenadine-steel-blue.html Do you think this would be a good match? I think it has silver and blues to it, which would compliment the navy quite nicely. What do you guys think? Also I'm 5'10 and 155lbs at 36R so was going to go with 3". Good call?

Other choices that I like in order of preference:
Silver
Burgandy
Purple
Black
With a navy suit and a white shirt you can wear whatever tie you want. I think people often overthink this.

I think 36 jacket and smaller should wear 3" ties. Possibly 38 too.
When might the black silk knit ties be back in stock? I'm eager to kop one.
In about six weeks. Email [email protected] and I'll let you know when it's in.

freddych

Reaction score
I can't wait to move back to Texas. I'm going to drop in and get measured up!

zerostyle

Reaction score
Hi Kent!

I just snagged the great deal on UrbanDaddy for $150 worth of credit.

I'm trying to decide on 2 grenadine ties. Right now I have 3 basic staple suits: solid navy, solid charcoal, and a solid medium grey.

I was thinking about going with the navy grenadine and burgundy grenadine. Too boring? Maybe go with steel blue instead? What are your most popular and versatile ties in your opinion?

Also, for the guy above, I'm 5'9/155lbs, and find that 3" ties are perfect for me. 2.5 is too skinny and trendy, and 3.25-3.5, while typical, look a bit wide on me.

Last edited:

pleco

Reaction score
Hi Kent!
I just snagged the great deal on UrbanDaddy for $150 worth of credit.
I'm trying to decide on 2 grenadine ties. Right now I have 3 basic staple suits: solid navy, solid charcoal, and a solid medium grey.
I was thinking about going with the navy grenadine and burgundy grenadine. Too boring? Maybe go with steel blue instead? What are your most popular and versatile ties in your opinion?
Also, for the guy above, I'm 5'9/155lbs, and find that 3" ties are perfect for me. 2.5 is too skinny and trendy, and 3.25-3.5, while typical, look a bit wide on me.

Ah thanks for this, I suspected as much. I think that navy and burgandy would be grand if you like those colours. Burgandy seemed to be the unanimous first choice to put together with navy suit. The navy would go brilliantly with the charcoal and grey. I do like the steel blue though. How do you feel about 3 grenadines?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads