• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kenneth Cole - Monk - Opinions ?

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I know the general Styleforum concensus on KC shoes and can say that I have never owned a pair and that they normally do not appeal to me whatsoever. I am looking for a pair of black monk straps, however, and stumbled across these on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-KENNETH-COLE...QQcmdZViewItem

They are a good price, welted, leather sole, no ugly square toe, look to be of decent leather. Is there anything else I should consider as to why I might not want to buy these shoes if I am looking to spend $150-200 max.?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be just me, but I find the tapered, slightly raised toe box and the somewhat ungainly sole to be rather unattractive. However, for the price, one could do worse.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I actually had a pair of those exact shoes in burgundy. They're from about 3 years ago, and are the "NYC" line which is infinitely better than the "Reaction" line. I wore them for about 1.5 years before selling them (got bored of em)and they held up fine, felt comfortable. The sizing was weird, they seemed to run in UK sizing as I had to go down a full size for them to fit, which is odd considering they're an American brand. btw, I sold mine for almost the same price as those are selling for brand new.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks much better than any KC I have seen before. Wonder if it is as crappily put together as the rest of it it really is a good bargain.

Edit:
Just read Jason's post.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
It may be just me, but I find the tapered, slightly raised toe box and the somewhat ungainly sole to be rather unattractive. However, for the price, one could do worse.

The chiseled toe is one of the features that actually drew me to them. The etching on the sole is rather weird though; I agree.

Originally Posted by Get Smart
I actually had a pair of those exact shoes in burgundy. They're from about 3 years ago, and are the "NYC" line which is infinitely better than the "Reaction" line. I wore them for about 1.5 years before selling them (got bored of em)and they held up fine, felt comfortable. The sizing was weird, they seemed to run in UK sizing as I had to go down a full size for them to fit, which is odd considering they're an American brand. btw, I sold mine for almost the same price as those are selling for brand new.

This is excellent info. Get Smart, thanks alot. I think I might grab them (although I actually wish they were being sold in burgundy now that you mention it).

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the double strap.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I'm not a big fan of the double strap.

I actually prefer double straps. So there!

tongue.gif

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to the listing, these are made in Italy. If you really like the styling, then it doesn't sound like a terrible deal.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of KC NYC line shoes and they weren't horrible by any stretch for $99. Of course the leather wasn't as good quality, nor the sole, not the contstruction but it wasn't expected and they were a huge step above sketchers which were at the same pricepoint.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
^^ I guess as long as they will last a good year I will be fine with em'. Have you got that out of yours?

Originally Posted by Soph
no

Care to explain your logic? Other than the construction quality issue, the aesthetic appeal certainly can't be any less than a common pair of AE's, Loakes, and the like.

rick lombardo

Reaction score
They may be the nicest KC shoes I have ever seen.
I would be tempted if I wasn't such a shoe snob.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I owned a pair of Kenneth Cole's (mainline label) that were produced in Italy during my college years. The uppers were actually full grain leather, and the sole was wannabe dainite. They were reasonably comfortable and lasted three years before I decided to toss them. Given the number of shoes in my possession, and awareness of Styleforum deal finding, I wouldn't spend $90-100 on another pair of Kenneth Cole. The price/quality ratio still doesn't sway me even at discount.

I would hazard to guess that Soph has sufficient number of shoes in rotation that anything below Allen Edmonds probably isn't a worthwhile investment (because such a shoe would never see the light of day).

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
The chiseled toe is one of the features that actually drew me to them. The etching on the sole is rather weird though; I agree.
They don't look chiseled so much as flattened: I'm guessing the toebox extends quite a bit past the end of the foot so your toes can fit? Just from this photo, the leather straps and stitching on the vamp look cheap to me. As for the soles, these are a good case for topys, perhaps?
smile.gif
AE monkstraps do occasionally show up on eBay for not that much more. The KCs aren't cheap enough that I'd personally risk buying them sight-unseen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads