• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping Shirt Tucked in Neatly

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put a button on both of the front of your shirt "tails." Then sew buttonholes into the backs of your shirt tails. Connect them together below your crotch. When going to the bathroom, just undo one of your shirt buttons and put your wang through.

All joking aside, does anyone notice that their movements are dictated by whether they are dressed well? For example, to prevent this same type of untucking, when I need to pick something off the ground, instead of bending at the waist, I bend at the knee with one knee, keep the other leg straight, and lower my body without bending at the waist. I look like a speed skater while doing it.

phorm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Put a button on both of the front of your shirt "tails." Then sew buttonholes into the backs of your shirt tails. Connect them together below your crotch. When going to the bathroom, just undo one of your shirt buttons and put your wang through.

All joking aside, does anyone notice that their movements are dictated by whether they are dressed well? For example, to prevent this same type of untucking, when I need to pick something off the ground, instead of bending at the waist, I bend at the knee with one knee, keep the other leg straight, and lower my body without bending at the waist. I look like a speed skater while doing it.

definitely agree. if i have to reach something on a high shelf, i'll pull up a chair or ladder to avoid the extra reaching.

i know some guys will actually pin their shirt to their underwear. this has the added advantage of not only keeping your shirt anchored, but it also showcases the goods below, if you know what i mean.

Magster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phorm
... i know some guys will actually pin their shirt to their underwear. this has the added advantage of not only keeping your shirt anchored, but it also showcases the goods below, if you know what i mean.

Hmm, yet again:

productsbox.gif

jeskali

Reaction score
thanks for all the input. the shirts are definitely long enough and properly fitted. they dont come all the way out of my pants, they just blouse a lot in the back and wind up hanging over my belt and looking sloppy. not sure if there is a solution and im sure the fact that i just lost about 20 lbs doesnt help as all of my suits are way too big in the waist now and need to be altered. GO GIANTS

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Your shirttails may not be long enough. Mine are cut two inches longer than my suitcoats. Also, I've found that shirts which are closely fitted at the waist seem to stay tucked better than a fuller cut waist as the resulting flair in the tail acts to 'anchor' the shirttail.

To the OP: These two steps -- more length, less waist -- should solve all your problems.

card_richelieu

Reaction score
I have to agree with Scrumhalf. I know it's considered a fashion fax paux but a good (longish) undershirt tucked into underpants will do the trick. I have a slim build and the Macy's inhouse brand (Alfini) of crew necks is perfect for me. If you wear them with full cut briefs you won't ever need to visit the restroom at all - at least in my experience everything stays about perfectly in place all day. And I have dress shirts with both long and short tails - never an issue either way.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of Hiltl pants, both have a rubber strip sewn into the waitband, they are excellent pants.

Biscione

Reaction score
I have one white formal dress shirt with a flap that goes from the shirt-tail, under my crotch, and to a button at the front that is good to wear to certain balls because moving around too much will inevitably untuck one's shirt slightly.

However, if you're with anything other than that slight untucking, you're probably wearing a shirt that's too short or trousers with a waist that's too large. Change both.

mudmutt

Reaction score

There are shirt garters, which connect to the tails and is attached at the socks so you have double the purpose:

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...productID=2971

Also on that site is this: http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=53779

Which seems to have the same basic concept as the pants with a rubbery "band" sewn into them to help hold your shirt tail in.

I did find the description of these humorous. I think they haven't completely checked all their copy for spelling and grammatical errors:

" The Hidden Tailor belt is designed to be worn over the shirt tail, inside the slacks. It resists the **** from pulling out while helping prevent the slacks from sagging down"

or maybe that's really what they meant...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads