• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Keeping old magazines

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you keep old magazines long after you read them? If so, where do you store them? I keep copies of GQ for reference. For some reason, I can't bear to throw out issues of Time or Sports Illustrated, although I doubt I will care what they say six months from now.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Do you keep old magazines long after you read them? If so, where do you store them? I keep copies of GQ for reference. For some reason, I can't bear to throw out issues of Time or Sports Illustrated, although I doubt I will care what they say six months from now.

I do this for reference. I have a few old GQ's, a few years worth of Cooks Illustrated and Fine Woodworking, and a truck-load of old Playboys.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I keep em for awhile, forget why I'm keeping them and end up throwing them away when even I (not a good housekeeper) can't stand the clutter.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cook's Illustrated is the only one I still save. I used to save Commentary, but no more.

Reaction score
I keep my late 90s/early 00s MOJO around, and keep referring back. I have kept some early THE FACE around. And THE WIRE is unthrowawayable.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have about 10 years worth of Sight and Sound. I dunno what to do with them, they were so expensive. Can't just toss them.

I have a crate full of old Evo magazines. I plan to ebay them before my next move.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guilty.
It used to be terrible, especially w/ fishing, cooking, and music (No Depression and Blue Suede News) magazines. I've narrowed it down to The Angling Report, Gambero Rosso, Saveur and Italy

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep all my Saveurs and some of my Food and Wines for reference.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep a couple of car magazines. I used to keep more of various types but found that they were just taking up space.

millionaire75

Reaction score
I have subscriptions to about 10 mags and have been finding lately that I have no time to read them unless I keep them in the bathroom. To avoid clutter, I have taken to speed reading them when I get them and then immediately throwing them out.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time throwing away magazines as well..
Especially the stacks of art &graphic design ones i have that cost over $20 each...

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
I had every maxim, and fhm and all that nonsense, when i moved and lugged em around, i was always bitter. the only magazines I keep now are Donna Hays, cause they have amazing food recipes, and are used over and over.

the rest of all the magazines are tossed.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to keep a ton of magazines, then I realized that I never go back to them, and can almost always find what I need online.

So now I just throw them out. If you really want to keep some article - keep it, or better yet, clip - copy - PDF it for future reference.

Seriously, simplicity and keeping less junk is key.

GoSurface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guilty. I keep them everywhere. Old news papers that I'm meaning to look through again too, because of some article I never finished reading.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40