• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping dress shoes at office?

Imperator

Reaction score
So I'm starting my summer associateship at a NYC biglaw firm in a few months, and I'm wondering, should I buy a pair of passable looking black shoes with rubber soles for my commute to work? That is, should I wear the crap shoes to the office and then change there? Keep in mind that:
1)My commute involves a ~1 mile walk each way
2)I have to ride the 6 line during the morning rush hour, meaning all sorts of rude bastards will be stepping on my shoes.

Is this a bad idea? Even if I topy my shoes, 1-2 miles a day on NYC streets+clumsy commuters would ostensibly = the premature demise of my beloved shoes.

Thoughts? Will my co-workers think I'm strange?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They will think you're strange if they catch you doing it. That said, I have a few pairs of shoes in my office, and sometimes change into them after wearing rubber-soled shoes to work. That's not necessarily why they're there, but I've found it useful.

mikej77

Reaction score
I started doing it as well. Between the trains and how far I walk to work, it just seemed logical. I keep a couple of pairs at work and just change out when I get in and before I go home. Now I am not worrying about destroying shoes I invested in.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
I don't find that strange. I know someone at work that actually does something similar, but He bring a second pair of shoes to work everyday instead of leaving them at work.
6895.gif

I do this when it's going to be really crappy outside.

Having a decent sized collection of shoes will reduce the amount of wear each individual shoe receives. My commute had about 3/4 of a mile knocked off since I moved. Now I only walk about a mile total on the commute.

I also use a less crowded train than your 6...you're going to have a fun commute
crazy.gif

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I do this when it's going to be really crappy outside.

Having a decent sized collection of shoes will reduce the amount of wear each individual shoe receives. My commute had about 3/4 of a mile knocked off since I moved. Now I only walk about a mile total on the commute.

I also use a less crowded train than your 6...you're going to have a fun commute
crazy.gif

Yep--I currently take the morning 6 to school during rush hour. Sigh....by far the worst part of living in the city

sf_esq

Reaction score
Living in SF, we walk a fair amount as well and it really wears shoes out at a rapid pace. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Why ruin all your really nice shoes. If I drove to an office, or walked a block or two, it wouldn't be necessary, but for those who live in walking cities, makes some sense. Nobody cares what you wear when you walk in, but they will likely notice what you wear while you are working walking around the office.

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Living in SF, we walk a fair amount as well and it really wears shoes out at a rapid pace. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Why ruin all your really nice shoes. If I drove to an office, or walked a block or two, it wouldn't be necessary, but for those who live in walking cities, makes some sense. Nobody cares what you wear when you walk in, but they will likely notice what you wear while you are working walking around the office.

Thanks for the advice guys.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq

For what it's worth, depending on the firm some people may care what you wear when you walk in. Not that your plan isn't a good one, just that you should make sure the shoes you're wearing in aren't too beat up.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
In Toronto, I keep shoes at the office year round. During the winter, salt rain & snow wrecks shoes of any stripe. In the summer, I bike and leather soles don't mesh well with my pedals.

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
For what it's worth, depending on the firm some people may care what you wear when you walk in. Not that your plan isn't a good one, just that you should make sure the shoes you're wearing in aren't too beat up.

I was thinking something like rubber-soled bruno maglis or AEs--should be able to get them for under 100

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did this too and I don't think its unreasonable. If your office is carpeted it will really prolong the life of the soles.

Enfo

Reaction score
I dont know anywhere in Manhattan thats a 1 mile walk to any train.

But I take the 6 every morning and I agree... that train is way too packed to avoid being stepped on.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Enfo
I dont know anywhere in Manhattan thats a 1 mile walk to any train.

But I take the 6 every morning and I agree... that train is way too packed to avoid being stepped on.

York ave is 4 avenues, which is about .5 each way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads