• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping dress shoes at office?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77
Now I am not worrying about destroying shoes I invested in.

I don't get this. Invest in shoes? You invest in things that you expect to gain in value. Shoes are consumer goods, meant to be used. Some are relatively disposable, and many can last for years. I certainly don't want to destroy my shoes, but I also want to enjoy wearing them, which is why I bought them in the first place. Life became a lot less stressful when I stopped worrying about protecting my clothes so preciously and learned to wear them as they were intended.

As for keeping shoes at the office, I shudder each time I enter the office of a few co-workers who keep their shoes in their office. It seems uncouth to me. I can live with an extra pair on a rainy or snowy day. However, your office is for work, not for shoe storage.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
As for keeping shoes at the office, I shudder each time I enter the office of a few co-workers who keep their shoes in their office. It seems uncouth to me. I can live with an extra pair on a rainy or snowy day. However, your office is for work, not for shoe storage.

Well, fair enough, but for some people it's impractical to carry a "good pair" with them to and from work each day. Did that for a while. Where I live it gets too wet and shushy (not to mention salty) to even consider wearing shoes outside in the winter.

In my case, my shoes are not on display (women seem to display theirs, I notice), but tucked away in an extra cabinet.

uwsmuseumguy

Reaction score
hmm...if the concern is sole wear, i'll throw out another option, the cross-town bus. i do the reverse everyday to get to the 4/6. obviates a lot of the rain/snow/walking issues. i pulled the maneuver exactly once only to have an MD cruise by with a look of bewilderment. not saying that would happen to you, but prepare a respons, should someone popin mid-change. i had a very similar concern upon moving to the city several years and have found that increased maintenance and a more intentional rotation lessens wear. as for mass transit, stand facing the back of the persons nearest you as the tendency is to move forward in trains and buses rather than laterally. also, as the fine MTA folks love saying, move down inside the cars.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads