• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping a jacket on all or most of the day

Uncorrelated

Reaction score
I frequently wear a jacket as part of the outfit I wear to work; usually an odd jacket, sometimes part of a suit. I think I look better with one on than off and it makes what I'm wearing look more finished. Unfortunately, my jackets end up hanging on my chair all day. One reason for this, the lesser reason, is that it is not common to wear a jacket in my office. I can get used to that I think. The greater reason is that the office is too warm. Any tips on overcomming that?

I'm going to try a jacket without a lining and made in a not too heavy fabric, but I suspect that it won't be enough. I could try wearing summer weight clothing all year round but a lot of it tends to scream that it is meant only for summer. I also worry about the lighter fabrics being wrinkle prone and delicate. Is their a compromise between being hot in approprate clothing and looking like I just flew in from Palm Beach?

Thanks,

--Scott

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is also the problem of leaning back in your chair and wrinkling your jacket.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always take your pants off to prevent wrinkling as well....like the "maestro" on Seinfeld.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire
I frequently wear a jacket as part of the outfit I wear to work; usually an odd jacket, sometimes part of a suit. I think I look better with one on than off and it makes what I'm wearing look more finished. Unfortunately, my jackets end up hanging on my chair all day. One reason for this, the lesser reason, is that it is not common to wear a jacket in my office. I can get used to that I think. The greater reason is that the office is too warm. Any tips on overcomming that?

I'm going to try a jacket without a lining and made in a not too heavy fabric, but I suspect that it won't be enough. I could try wearing summer weight clothing all year round but a lot of it tends to scream that it is meant only for summer. I also worry about the lighter fabrics being wrinkle prone and delicate. Is their a compromise between being hot in approprate clothing and looking like I just flew in from Palm Beach?

Thanks,

--Scott

I think you're inventing problems for yourself. I wear a jacket every day and rarely take it off. They never get wrinkled, quarter-lined summer-weight cashmere included... If anything, my biggest concern regardign such a fabric would be prematurely wearing out my right elbow since it's always resting on the arm of my chair as I use a mouse. This recently happened to a cashmere sweater I had. On second thought...

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My greatest irritation is when my besom pockets get caught on the arm of a chair as I stand up. I once jumped to my feet when the local parish priest dropped by for a visit and got a nasty rip in a nice custom tailored windowpane ...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I think you're inventing problems for yourself. I wear a jacket every day and rarely take it off. They never get wrinkled, quarter-lined summer-weight cashmere included... If anything, my biggest concern regardign such a fabric would be prematurely wearing out my right elbow since it's always resting on the arm of my chair as I use a mouse. This recently happened to a cashmere sweater I had. On second thought...
I take mine off if I am eating at my desk, but that is pretty much it.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to use fabrics that are as light as possible. If it gets too cold, I just wear a coat while I`m outside. While I`m inside, the lightweight materials keep me just warm enough without any sauna effect.
smile.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire
I frequently wear a jacket as part of the outfit I wear to work; usually an odd jacket, sometimes part of a suit. I think I look better with one on than off and it makes what I'm wearing look more finished. Unfortunately, my jackets end up hanging on my chair all day. One reason for this, the lesser reason, is that it is not common to wear a jacket in my office. I can get used to that I think.
You certainly look better standing up, but I'm not sure a jacket makes such a different sitting down. Personally I hang mine (although not on the chair) while sitting at a desk and put it on whenever I leave the immediate area. The best argument I've ever heard for wearing long-sleeve shirts in summer for business casual is that you look very industrious with the sleeves rolled up. Perhaps having your jacket off adds a similar air?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
You certainly look better standing up, but I'm not sure a jacket makes such a different sitting down. Personally I hang mine (although not on the chair) while sitting at a desk and put it on whenever I leave the immediate area.

The best argument I've ever heard for wearing long-sleeve shirts in summer for business casual is that you look very industrious with the sleeves rolled up. Perhaps having your jacket off adds a similar air?

I hang mine when seated *and* I roll my sleeves up. Do I get double points for industriousness? I do put on my jacket whenever I leave my office.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
If anything, my biggest concern regardign such a fabric would be prematurely wearing out my right elbow since it's always resting on the arm of my chair as I use a mouse. This recently happened to a cashmere sweater I had. On second thought...
Is it an option to put those elbow pads on anything?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless the air-conditioning is malfunctioning, I absolutely never remove my jacket at the office. Fortunately, on warm days, the powers that be crank up the air to deliver almost sub-arctic chill. Sometimes my summer weight jackets are inadequate to the task of keeping me warm.

Wouldn't draping a jacket over the back of the chair you are sitting in be much rougher on the jacket than actually wearing it? There is also the chance of damaging the jacket with the rollers of the chair...or so I would imagine.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
If you are Trad, yes.

I don't know that this should be relegated to the fetishistic trads. I have some jackets whidh I imagine could wear out in the elbows in few years, like a green cashmere Zegna Napoli Couture. If it comes to that, I would hate to lose a favorite and would find a tailor to add them for me.

Uncorrelated

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. So, I'll go forward in two ways. I'll try keeping some lightweight fabrics on throughout the day and stop worrying about wrinkling, etc. (I'll keep away from pink and white seersucker in, say, November though). When I just cant stand the heat, I'll hang the jacket and console myself by thinking that I'm looking extra industrious --- maybe rolling up my sleeves for emphasis
smile.gif

Cheers,

--Scott

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads