• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keep or sell this watch?

Lokesh

Reaction score
Hey guys!
Little less than 2 years ago I bought this watch for about $750 or so. I have worn it out twice in total because I'm scared to start wearing it out since I paid so much money for it. Another reason is because I'm wondering if I should even keep it anymore. Do you guys think this watch looks nice? Its the Tag Heuer Formula 1 watch.
I'm on the fence about keeping it. I need the money, and the watch still sells for almost the same price new. I figure I should get a fairly decent amount for it right?

2zzu8uq.jpg

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you be scared to wear something you already paid for? You paid for it, enjoy it....it's already being depreciated in value anyhow.

I have a similar Tag that I wear almost daily, except in the Summer.

Sure, a new model may still command that price. But yours is used, even if it's just worn 2x..it's still used. I think you would get $500 max for it...that's assuming the watch is flawless and you still have the box, receipt, authenticity form, etc.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Why would you be scared to wear something you already paid for? You paid for it, enjoy it....it's already being depreciated in value anyhow.

I have a similar Tag that I wear almost daily, except in the Summer.

Sure, a new model may still command that price. But yours is used, even if it's just worn 2x..it's still used. I think you would get $500 max for it...that's assuming the watch is flawless and you still have the box, receipt, authenticity form, etc.

The watch is in mint condition. I have every single scrap of paper that came with it originally. And I personally think the watch looks awesome, but I am known to have a crap sense of style lol. So I was wondering what you guys think about it? And weather it was a good buy in the first place?
Thanks!
Yours faithfully,
-N00b

PS: that is an actual picture of my watch that I took a few days ago so I could post an ad on CL to sell it. As you can see, it really has not been used much.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tag is a reputable brand. It looks fine to me, a simple looking watch that is versatile. If you like how it looks, just rock it. I don't know about you, but when I spend money on a watch, I only care about how it looks to me. I'll be damned if I spend $5,000 on a watch that I'm not really content with just to impress my peers.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally not a fan of that watch. I don't like the huge emblem on the side that screams "look at me", and maybe it's not even visible when you wear it. Also not a fan of the face, it looks busy. I'd say if you can get your money back (or even close to your money back) and you're questioning keeping the watch, that's enough info right there.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Personally not a fan of that watch. I don't like the huge emblem on the side that screams "look at me", and maybe it's not even visible when you wear it. Also not a fan of the face, it looks busy. I'd say if you can get your money back (or even close to your money back) and you're questioning keeping the watch, that's enough info right there.

The only reason I was considering selling it was because I couldn't justify keeping it and not wearing it seeing as I paid so much money for it. Like I said, in my opinion it looks awesome. Also if I spend $750 on a watch, hell it had better scream "look at me"
laugh.gif
but yeah that logo is usually hidden when I wear it.
I was checking to see what the general opinion on this board was about how it looks. So thanks for sharing!

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lokesh
The only reason I was considering selling it was because I couldn't justify keeping it and not wearing it seeing as I paid so much money for it. Like I said, in my opinion it looks awesome. Also if I spend $750 on a watch, hell it had better scream "look at me"
laugh.gif
but yeah that logo is usually hidden when I wear it.
I was checking to see what the general opinion on this board was about how it looks. So thanks for sharing!

That's a pretty douchebag statement. To be frank $750 is not even that much money for a nice watch. Hell folks here spend that much on a pair of shoes.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
That's a pretty douchebag statement. To be frank $750 is not even that much money for a nice watch. Hell folks here spend that much on a pair of shoes.

Oh come on I was just joking
laugh.gif

And it probably does not sound like much to you, but consider the fact that not everyone has a ton of money. I was 19 when I bought that watch.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know. Nothing aimed at you directly. I just really dislike that mentality. It's sorta like buying a 10 year old beat up BMW just so you can say you own a BMW and try to show off.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I know. Nothing aimed at you directly. I just really dislike that mentality. It's sorta like buying a 10 year old beat up BMW just so you can say you own a BMW and try to show off.

Understandable.
Why do you not wear your similar watch during the summer btw?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like to wear watches with leather or metal straps in the summer because since it's hot, it becomes sticky to my skin. Honestly, I don't really wear watches in the summer. I tan really easily. If I wear a watch for a day or two, and don't wear it on the third day, you can see noticeably whiter skin tone where the watch would be, haha.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I don't like to wear watches with leather or metal straps in the summer because since it's hot, it becomes sticky to my skin. Honestly, I don't really wear watches in the summer. I tan really easily. If I wear a watch for a day or two, and don't wear it on the third day, you can see noticeably whiter skin tone where the watch would be, haha.

Oh haha yeah I hate that too... Though I don't currently have that problem living in San Francisco. I thought it was some kind of style thing
tongue.gif

See I told you I have no idea whats going on in the style area lol.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I say keep them and just enjoy. If you do decide to sell it, keep in mind that the F1 isn't not easy to sell, you'd have to drop pretty low on the price to sell it quick. The F1 were selling at Costco for around $500 a year ago and I am sure some Costco is still selling them somewhere and Costco has a lifetime return policy so a lot of guys buy it from there or other grey market that sells it for around the same price, if not less.

Lokesh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I say keep them and just enjoy. If you do decide to sell it, keep in mind that the F1 isn't not easy to sell, you'd have to drop pretty low on the price to sell it quick. The F1 were selling at Costco for around $500 a year ago and I am sure some Costco is still selling them somewhere and Costco has a lifetime return policy so a lot of guys buy it from there or other grey market that sells it for around the same price, if not less.

I heard that Costco was selling it, but wasn't that the regular F1 without the stopwatch and other dials?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't remember which model they were selling, all I know is that they were selling the F1 at Costco.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads